Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The problem is his acidic, aggressive tone detracts from his point, much like querty12's blow up and departure. Not to mention that he spends most of his time deliberately trying to incite flamewars and dropping useless turds on other threads.

So if he has a valid point, it's completely lost in the noise.
No, that's what's known as the cowards way out, son. Ad hominems don't negate the truth of his posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I can't really go back on anything else.... I'm a spoiled child now, all because of the bloody N900. Missing mine and eagerly waiting for its return from the repair centre.

we need a petition to say give us the n900-2 with latest hardware upgrades and a few bug fixes in the software side of things and i would buy it. Imagine the n900 with latest mobile processors

The Following User Says Thank You to jamie721 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
The N900 is almost 2 years since launching. Do you seriously think a 2-year old ARM can support tomorrow's newer application requirements?

Just fill up your N900 32Gb with all the available (and useful) apps today and enjoy it. It's still a great multitasking device and has some nice functionality. Use it as a secondary mobile laptop or mutimedia device, or whatever.

Unless you just need to/must have the latest gadgets.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
You tell me if the following is correct or not:

Brands convey distinct personality and image, backed up by their track record in delivering a certain kind of product/service/experience to their customers.

IE: Porsche. Ferrari. Tiffany & Co. Mc Donalds. Pepsi. Levi's.

When you read their name, you conjure up an image of them. An expectation of what to see/experience.

Who is setting the expectations?

Bonus question:

The brand 'Nokia'...

Is the n900 in line with their brand image? ...of what you expect from a Nokia?

Flame reetardant: of course if one follows tmo, then they should already know what to expect from a maemo (not yet step 5 of 5) device.
Incorrect.

You.

In line. Actually beyond expectation. I always think Nokia made lousy phones until N900.

Bonus answer: you don't read what someone wrote before asking question do you?

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
@9000 - I like my N900, this thread is speculation as to why others "hate" it.
Yes I know. I just responded to your post with my opinions. No offended intended. My apology if I did.

@everyone - Thanks for the advice on the answering issue. That actually brings up another reason some have "hate" for the N900. It seems some of the issues people have with the N900 can be individual device specific.
Very true. My first N900 is defective, DOA actually. I got it replaced immediately instead of struggling with it.

I'm on PR1.3, overclocked to 805 (with a slight undervolt), using modified hildon-desktop for 6 desktops (mostly shortcuts, not widgets). Probably around 100 or so apps installed, no contact managers. But even from stock, I've always had the occasional issues with answering calls. And yes, I even flashed both 1.3 and the emmc for a fresh "from scratch" start. I believe I've tried most of the fixes, and yes even when locked to one orientation, it still wanted to flip occasionally. Having it locked to one annoyed me, so I don't. I'm not important enough that a missed call will cause doom in my life, so I shrug and move on, one of the little quirks that makes it all the more lovable and annoying at the same time.
You seem to have lots of fun there.

I've said it before, but I think Nokia rushed out Maemo 5 (making more like step 2.5 or 3 of 5, not 4 of 5....
As to expectations, as ysss points out, based on prior brand history, the company contributes in a significant fashion to customer expectations. Customers are hard to come by and easy to lose.
Nokia doesn't give me the same image as you've perceived. If I'm subjected to brand effect, I'd have bought iPhone not N900, as I always think Nokia manufacturing bloated, bulky and over-priced phones, while Apple is always creative. I chose N900 for what it is. I hope I'm not alone in this. (...am I )

I'm interested to how many people fell for N900 simply because of the brand 'Nokia'.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-02-08 at 01:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Incorrect.
100% disagree. For instance, if you buy nothing but AMD or Intel, you do so because of a prior good experience or the experiences of your peers.

In line. Actually beyond expectation. I always think Nokia made lousy phones until N900.
Then why did you take a risk with your purchase of the N900? And you can't say Linux. There were other Linux phones before the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
100% disagree. For instance, if you buy nothing but AMD or Intel, you do so because of a prior good experience or the experiences of your peers.
Hi there.

I'm not sure if you've used the appropriate analogy here, as AMD and Intel are literally oligopolies.

I said incorrect because his question is leading to the implication that bigger brand creating more positive images. In where I live majority believes that bigger brand cheat more. If we're all subjected to brand effect then why don't we all go for iPhone? It's made by the manufacturer with excellent track records, with products of high creativeness and has a charismatic leader.

Then why did you take a risk with your purchase of the N900? And you can't say Linux. There were other Linux phones before the N900.
Well, why do you have to ask when you know the answer better?

Last edited by 9000; 2011-02-08 at 01:23.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia

It's true. A lot of research tells us that our experiences affects our perception (or positioning) of products and brands.

Read Al Ries and Jack Trout series on Positioning (and Re-Positioning). Definitely a MUST read for the folks at Nokia!!!

this is sad i've been a nokia fan for as long as i can remember. Had 5 phones from Nokia. Was always the first to get them. THey were always the most innovative imo but these few years its nothing but disappointment after the n95.

Got the n97 to replace n95, MAJOR disappointment, thing is slow as hell and the integration of symbian with touch was absolutely horrific.

Changed to n900, was extremely satisfied with it though it overheats sometimes and battery life was so short but after pr1.3 update,everything went smooth and silky.

But I've been waiting for the flash update since forever, I cannot believe Nokia would leave us behind because I believe it's people who are teksavvy and a nokia fan would buy this product. I cannot even view some video from facebook/msn video since they are pushing flash 9 out, evntually our so called "tablet" won't be a tablet anymore, it's going to be deemed useless. I think I've been very patient with Nokia already, but If nothing is release for another month, I will switch to Andriod no questions asked and never buy another nokia phone ever. Unbelievable.

Last edited by 1DarkChaos; 2011-02-08 at 01:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1DarkChaos For This Useful Post:

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest