Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Funny when you in June said that Nokia would never announce a Meego device....

I think you doing the same mistake now....
I can't remember saying that, but its true. The N9 is a Harmattan device (Maemo), not a MeeGo device.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I can't remember saying that, but its true. The N9 is a Harmattan device (Maemo), not a MeeGo device.
No, it is MeeGo inside. Don't mess with UI.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
No, it is MeeGo inside. Don't mess with UI.
OK, not one but two unsubstantiated and irrelevant claims here. Is that all you got for supporting your lunatic stand that Microsoft will purchase Nokia?

One of the corporate moves that signal a selling is when the company willingly splits into divisions. I think beginning this year, the profitable network division and maps division were segregated from the loss leading mobile division. The same was done by Motorola, because then they can prime to sell division by division if the need arises. It makes it a palatable offering to would be buyers, because no one wants to buy x and get x plus y and z in the process.

As far as conjecture goes, even Apple could buy it on the basis of they can afford it more so than most of these companies.

Intel needs this more then Windows because they have been marginalized out of the burgeoning mobile market, and the PC market is both shrinking and opening up to ARM. Intel lost in the graphics department with there Banshee push, and the netbook surge has died off. If the Mac Book Air as rumored goes over to Apples ARM based A5's and A'n' processors then it signals that OSX is being converted for ARM use. Intel is definitely being squeezed from multiple angles, but they still have a wide market spread and have some time to change the tides ... but I'm sure they realize the headwinds are not in their favor.

For MS, it just shows they over payed for Skype and the folks over at Google are shrewd because they got more than Skype for $4 billion more. MS I think because of the Skype deal is in a tougher position, and if talks had been ongoing between Nokia and MS, the Motorola deal does a lot to raise Nokia's valuation ... that is why stock prices are rising, Nokia is a prime buying target but is valued more than Motorola.

We can also make the same wild conjecture of Amazon wanting to get an in into the mobile market. They are releasing tablets and phones soon, why not come in with a brand besides Amazon.

Same goes for Acer, as they have made some hardware but they haven't had any real traction to date. Acer wants to becmoe more Apple like, so why not scoop up Nokia and make that push.

Samsung is in the pits with Apple right now. They can gain wide leverage against the patent trolling, get acess to MeeGo as an alternative to Android and find a place and audience for the Bada OS as well.

What will be clear is if Nokia was to sell. Only the mobile division seems to be on the chopping block. Nokia will exist but no longer as a Phone maker.

Personally I think this was a self made injury dating back to the inaction's of OPK and his team. Nokia was garbage by the time Elop came in, but he did accelerate the burning platform. Little did we know at the time the burning platform speech was made ... that Elop like Emperor Nero ... would play the violin while Rome burnt. But definitely OPK started the fire, although the guy who was last there is etched into history.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
If WP had > 50% market share, it would make some sense. WP has only 1% and purchasing Nokia will only alienate the others, Samsung in particular. It is not going to happen.
u know that samsung makes both wp7, and android right?

just wp7 is a failure.

Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
the profitable network division and maps division were segregated from the loss leading mobile division. .
Reality was that the network part was bleeding and they tried to sell it (thus the splitting), but did not succeed.
http://iphone.macnn.com/fullarticles...r.failed.sale/

Last edited by crisscross; 2011-08-16 at 19:21. Reason: Extra info

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I can't remember saying that, but its true. The N9 is a MeeGo-Harmattan device (Maemo), not a MeeGo device.
What were you just saying about semantics???

Oh, and fixed for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks Mojo, excellent, reasonable analysis. Breath of fresh air.

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Intel makes money out of hardware build for deskops not cell phones. The desktop is dominated by MS and I don't think they would want to jeopardize that + spend a *****load of money just to have a chance in a very hostile market.
Yes, but what can really do Microsoft against Intel ? There don't have a direct relationship: the customers chose the hardware, not Microsoft.

If the first sales of the Nokia Windows Phone aren't good enough to please shareholders Microsoft will probably buy Nokia (selling the network division).
If they don't pressure from shareholders will persuade Nokia to switch strategy again and just become a hardware manufacturer, producing Android, Windows Phone and other OS-es based phones.
Microsoft can't let that happen because it would give a signal to consumers that Windows Phone has failed, probably resulting in a Self-fulfilling prophecy.

If Nokia management decides to split off the network division, Nokia will definitely be sold to Microsoft, and the management will just be making preparations. But even if Nokia doesn't split Microsoft would still want to buy Nokia if disappointing sales could trigger a change in strategy at Nokia. MS just can't let that happen if they want to survive in the mobile space.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:

Tags
gogle-mogle, google motorola, motogoogle, motogrogle, never say never