Active Topics

lol, so when they said "HD" what they really meant was one quarter of HD, but that's okay because qHD still has the letters "H" and "D" in the title!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
lol, so when they said "HD" what they really meant was one quarter of HD, but that's okay because qHD still has the letters "H" and "D" in the title!
I think we all found out the screen resolution already. No need to post it on every thread.

Do we know the screen type yet? AMOLED? Probably not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I

Do we know the screen type yet? AMOLED? Probably not.
Estrade.

Or maybe qAMOLED. Every fourth pixel is Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode.

Last edited by Rauha; 2013-09-19 at 12:26.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Prague, Czech
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Hey, there's i2c connector in the other half so ANYTHING can be coming
ANYTHING ? Realy ? With 100-400 kHz i2c clock serial bus ? wow ..
I want see any "expand storage" transfer to Jolla phone..
16GB flash transfered in 111 hours ?
LOL

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Kaacz View Post
ANYTHING ? Realy ? With 100-400 kHz i2c clock serial bus ? wow ..
I want see any "expand storage" transfer to Jolla phone..
16GB flash transfered in 111 hours ?
LOL
Really, you think they called Philips and asked for some early 80's prototypes? Maybe they are using newer versions. Anyway, even that original spec would fast enough for most of things I would like too se on other halfs. Not planning to transfer my music library into it anyway.

Wikipedia:

Recent revisions of I²C can host more nodes and run at faster speeds (400 kbit/s Fast mode, 1 Mbit/s Fast mode plus or Fm+, and 3.4 Mbit/s High Speed mode). These speeds are more widely used on embedded systems than on PCs.

Note the bit rates are quoted for the transactions between master and slave without clock stretching or other hardware overhead. Protocol overheads include a slave address and perhaps a register address within the slave device as well as per-byte ACK/NACK bits. Thus the actual transfer rate of user data is lower than those peak bit rates alone would imply. For example, if each interaction with a slave inefficiently allows only 1 byte of data to be transferred, the data rate will be less than half the peak bit rate.

In 1982, the original 100-kHz I²C system was created as a simple internal bus system for building control electronics with various Philips chips.

In 1992, Version 1.0 (the first standardized version) added 400-kHz Fast-mode (Fm) and a 10-bit addressing mode to increase capacity to 1008 nodes.

In 1998, Version 2.0 added 3.4-MHz High-speed mode (Hs) with power-saving requirements for electric voltage and current.

In 2000, Version 2.1[2] introduced a minor cleanup of version 2.0.

In 2007, Version 3.0[3] added 1-MHz Fast-mode plus (Fm+), and a device ID mechanism.

In 2012, Version 4.0[4] added 5-MHz Ultra Fast-mode (UFm) for new USDA and USCL lines using push-pull logic without pull-up resistors, and added assigned manufacturer ID table. This is the most recent standard.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
It's still about 2 orders of magnitude slower than plain old USB2. So much for the hardware expansions some people dreamed about (ram, cpu).

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
I seem to recall Sailfish application icons being 90px instead of Harmattan's 80px? If so, in retrospect (well, hindsight has 20/20 vision and all that) the low screen resolution shouldn't be too surprising, or the icons would be hard to use.

In fact, the icons would be the same proportion of the screen on Sailfish as on Harmattan, qHD being almost exactly 9/8 the horizontal and vertical resolution of the N9.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
It's still about 2 orders of magnitude slower than plain old USB2. So much for the hardware expansions some people dreamed about (ram, cpu).
Those were silly dreams to begin with RAM and CPU's require very precise timings. Every bit of trace, wire or connector will ruin that very quickly.

I'm fine with I²C. Fast enough for a very broad range of usages, very cheap, very easy to connect to microcontrollers, very easy to develop. USB lacks most of those features.

Heck, using I²C you can connect your mobile directly to an RaspPi or Arduino, which will be great for innovation.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Faaaaark, that's ****, @4.5" I was hoping for 720p, if it was still 3.9" or even 4.1" qHD would be okay.
Everything else is "acceptable", but that display tips this ph over the edge of being unacceptable for me.
And the RAM is crap too, should be 2GB, N9 was very generous in this area, despite being avg (to below avg) in most others.
The "Other Half capabilities better offer true hw augmentation or I'm walking, so pissed right now...

*EDIT*
Oh ****ing great, I'm now just reading how gloriously hobbled TOH interface is too, ****ing wonderful.
This phone just moved waaaaay down my shopping list, I'll still get one, but a little piece of hope inside me died.
This project's longer-term viability just took massive hit....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-19 at 16:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Found this link from a finnish forum:

Texas Instruments announces first QWERTY-capable I2C

Not directly usable, but at least HW KB should be possible with that interface.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red