Notices

Copernicus, it's a little off-topic, but I got wild idea, that came to my mind, while playing with your new "remote flash" feature.

You're (obviously) aware, that continuous LED light (flashlight) got much lower power ranges, than ones used during flashing. Now, I noticed, that by repeatedly pressing "open cover" button in Pierogi, I can produce almost-continuous flashlight, with a little stroboscopic effect due to duty cycle. Still, overall, it produces *much* better (brighter, reaching further) flashlight, than "normal" flashlight mode. Now, whats the idea about:

Simple application, lets call it "flashlight-ultra", which would repeatedly light diodes in "flash" mode, and a small slider that would control frequency of stroboscopic effect. "further right" setting of slider would result in longest possible (and safe) duty cycle, i.e. diodes flashing like now in Pierogi, staying on for the longest time, and staying "off" for the shortest. Now, the more to the left, the shorter "on" duty would be, and longer "off" cycle. It is even possible to easily calculate resulting strobo frequency, and displaying it, while slider is moved.

I've tested running diodes in most demanding stroboscopic light for 2 hours straight, and they were not much hotter, than after 2 hours of "normal" flashlight. By comparison, subjective illumination in dark room was much better than vanilla lighter, though.

OTOH, lower frequency flashing could be used for other purposes, like emergency signaling/morse code/etc.
---

I've seen similar programs in android world - most of them have some warnings about possible damage to diodes when abusing them on highest settings, but in reality, I haven't seen or witnessed any hardware damage (except for situations of cheating hardware to light diodes 100% continuously at flash power levels, but that's different story).
---

Again, It's just a wild idea, and I know you're, probably, already pretty busy with Pierogi - it's just something that I thought might be useful for some people. Maybe good candidate for upcoming Coding Competition, too?

/Estel

// Edit

Just be aware, that if you decide to do it, you're, probably, going to get feature request of programmable morse code blinker, pretty soon Wouldn't it be fine thing, to write message in normal letter, and have N900 blink it in morse code, via flashlight, automagically?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-05-26 at 13:39.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Simple application, lets call it "flashlight-ultra", which would repeatedly light diodes in "flash" mode, and a small slider that would control frequency of stroboscopic effect.
Well, actually, that should be trivial to implement, from what I've seen. There's almost no work involved in playing around with the Flash LED hardware. The only thing I would worry about is that I really don't have any clue myself as to the limits of the hardware...

Again, It's just a wild idea, and I know you're, probably, already pretty busy with Pierogi - it's just something that I thought might be useful for some people. Maybe good candidate for upcoming Coding Competition, too?
Nah, this would only take a few minutes. In fact, it only took a few minutes. A new pasta product, "Lanterne", is now making it's way into the extras-devel repository; it's pretty much just a tiny experimental app that allows you to turn the Flash LEDs on and off in "torch" mode, and to run the high-powered flash as a strobelight (for as long as you hold down the "strobe flash" button). I've got spin-boxes set up to let you play with the various parameters.

To any folks out there who want to play with this app, be warned! I've tried to limit the parameters to values that should be safe, but I make no guarantees of such. Use this app at your own risk!

Just be aware, that if you decide to do it, you're, probably, going to get feature request of programmable morse code blinker, pretty soon
Eh, that probably wouldn't be too hard to do either.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
So copernicus that was easy na
now please can you make the app so with the option to use light sensor
i.e here powercuts are worse what i want is the leds and screen light up as soon as the light goes i.e like the lamps

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
now please can you make the app so with the option to use light sensor
i.e here powercuts are worse what i want is the leds and screen light up as soon as the light goes i.e like the lamps
At least for now, I'd prefer to avoid creating any automated tool that plays with the flash LEDs, particularly because I don't really know what their limits are. I'd like to make sure that the user is right there to switch things off if something starts going wrong...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
I ment it optional in the program
you can try your hands later on let me recive the n900 stuck somewhere in courier

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
At least for now, I'd prefer to avoid creating any automated tool that plays with the flash LEDs, particularly because I don't really know what their limits are. I'd like to make sure that the user is right there to switch things off if something starts going wrong...
May I suggest a seperate topic for Lanterne?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
May I suggest a seperate topic for Lanterne?
Hmm. Yeah, I know this doesn't fit in the Pierogi thread, but does yet another flashlight app actually deserve its own topic?

Yeah, alright, I'll put one together...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Need control PS2 plzzz help

The Following User Says Thank You to jibrata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Serbia
You could implement Sony home cinemas
LG TV works great though

The Following User Says Thank You to Fwiffo For This Useful Post:
I test all sony app in periogi but .....noting ...can a help me for this ?

The Following User Says Thank You to jibrata For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control