Active Topics

No.

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

phone is coming tomorrrow...

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Is the following true as per review on CNET.com.au
?
"and for some unknown reason Nokia has forgotten to include a "Back" button or gesture, so once you move forward to a new webpage you can't really go back again. There are no History or Bookmark menus either, although you can pin pages to the Applications screen."

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
on the nokia browser you can go back. There is a little arrow on the upper left corner that is for back button. It appears obviously as soon as you have reach a second page and is not visible on the first page you visit!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
You know, there might still be a reason for the early release and all this waiting.

Apps.

If Nokia had pushed N9 to the market as soon as it was introduced, there would have been no apps. And as we know, in today's tech blogs that's all that matters. Reviews would have told everyone it's a nice device but there's no software so don't buy it. And due to the bad reviews, developers would have been even less interested of MeeGo Harmattan.

So with a "slight" delay, devkits are being delivered and coders have a few weeks to port their Symbian and Maemo projects to N9. And when Santa comes, there actually might be some apps and games to download. Even Voddler might be coming according to their forums.
..and its here finally:
http://store.ovi.com/content/187345

The Following User Says Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Just read the cnet review linked a few posts back, and heres my take on the little they had to say. Its just me tho. Still a better review than most Ive read, even if its the least extensive review since my girlfriend said "looks cool! i like the video-slide thing. lets go shop groceries, baby".

"The swiping gesture is central to the way that you interact with apps on the phone, as well. Once you've finished using an app, you use a horizontal swiping gesture to "push" the app into the background, or swiping up from the bottom of the screen to close the app entirely."

Nope, swiping up will also send it to the background. Swiping down from the top though will close it entirely. If you set the settings just so.

"It's way too easy to close the browser when trying to horizontally realign a web page while reading text that runs off-screen, and for some unknown reason Nokia has forgotten to include a "Back" button or gesture, so once you move forward to a new webpage you can't really go back again"

Personally I never found it remotely easy to close the browser accidentally.

And as mentioned before there is a backbutton. How the ballsack did they not notice that?

Also, they neglegt to mention the cloudlike startpage of the browser that displays websites youve visited, acting like soft bookmarks of sort. Not a big deal though, theres a lot that is omitted and this is an understandable thing to neglect.

"Battery life isn't outstanding, though, with the N9 struggling to get through to the end of a work day. Granted, this is with us remaining connected to our various online messaging services for the duration, but as a core part of this handset's offering we imagine that this sort of connectivity would resemble the everyday usage of those who choose an N9."

Weird, my device holds a day and a half with no worries, and thats with me reading for several hours of the day, feeds updating on, etc. No pushmail though, and no FB chat. Maybe the chat sucks a lot of juice? Gonna try going the weekend with chat enabled to see whats up. I dont think the battery should miss out on a days use even with it, IIRC from other times Ive had chat enabled for days.

"Despite a laundry list of missing features"

I dont think they mentioned any? Did they?

edit: awesome news that we have Voddler now! go team go!

Last edited by slai; 2011-11-03 at 20:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
whats voddler and where do you get it on your N9?

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by slai View Post
my girlfriend said "looks cool! i like the video-slide thing. lets go shop groceries, baby".
I've never understood why the "video-slide-thing" is showed in every review video as a feature.

It is just a "cool" thing as your girlfriend correctly said but it is absolutely useless.

In fact it would be more intelligent to stop the video as soon as a user start to swipe.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
I agree, its totally useless. Its cool but thats all.

Voddler is a rent-and-stream-a-movie-or-tv-show kinda thing. Check it out at Voddler.com.

Youtube of Voddler on N9 showing superawesomeness of real multitasking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4N7heoXFeY

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No Voddler for us Americans.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????