Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
Noob question
plz tell wats difference between cssu kernel nd power kernel. i flashed yesterday my phone and installed thumb and cssu kernel was automatically installed.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Covered in the OP.
Thumb workarounds are in the kernel, if you have KP51r1 or higher this is used. If you don't KCSSU is used. KCSSU is based upon KP.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Entitled View Post
Well, I have to say I've experienced some weird issues with a PolarCell battery I got from "wannsee-electronic" on eBay.

At first it worked as fine as the OEM battery, but then my phone started disconnecting my 2G/3G connection. Was running Power Kernel and Thumb and at first thought it was the culprit.

This mostly happened when I unlocked the phone and I started typing, few characters made through ssh before it "lost" the network/sim. Tried two different sim-cards, pushing the SIM down with piece of paper etc, nothing seemed to work. Found out that overclocking or underclocking seemed to help, it seemed to be worst at stock speed. It also cut the connection at times when I left the phone with keyboard open and pressed some key on it (and thus activating the keyboard backlight, with the screen still on).

After a while the phone started locking, crashing, and finally it wouldn't even charge or boot most of the time. All this was fixed when I replaced the FAULTY BATTERY. So I'm not sure about the power regulator-theory (or then it also is bit faulty on... faulty batteries ), but it really seemed to be with some voltage irregularity caused by the battery.
I'm using the same kind of battery but everything is working really fine.
(after every update the phone becomes faster...oh yeah! )

I would suggest to contact "wannsee-electronic" and ask them to replace the battery, because they have a good support service (i bought a lot of batteries from that shop) and will replace the battery without problems.

Anyway, in my opinion, the N900 sometimes remains in a wrong state after the shutdown (something seems to continue drain battery) and remove the battery for 30 seconds is good way the reset that situation. (maybe the alarm??? i don't know....)
Another strange situation that i observed some time ago is that most boot issues disappear if while powering on you you keep the power button pressed until the white led is on.(most users release the button as soon as the display shows the logo)

Last edited by xes; 2012-11-06 at 09:53.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Just flashed the latest CSSU-thumb on my n900 two months after last using it and what have your'll done?

Over-clocking is no longer needed, my phone is very smooth and speedy hence the n900 is now my backup daily driver due to this!

Really nice job freemangordon!

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
Noob question
plz tell wats difference between cssu kernel nd power kernel. i flashed yesterday my phone and installed thumb and cssu kernel was automatically installed.
And another question: "Is the cssu kernel enough for "720p video support on N900" or is it still needed to install kernel-power?"

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
And another question: "Is the cssu kernel enough for "720p video support on N900" or is it still needed to install kernel-power?"
sixwheeledbeast gave you the answer 3 posts earlier.

CSSU kernel is based on KP.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
sixwheeledbeast gave you the answer 3 posts earlier.

CSSU kernel is based on KP.
Well, for me this was not enough Is based could mean very different things from supporting only a subset of its features until to including full scale of features eg is based partially or fully based etc

Glad to know it is clear now I know, I could check it from the source code, but it is easier to ask and maybe the answer would be useful for the others too

Install the Linux kernel for power user (settings and overlclock), you need a profile dsp.

The Following User Says Thank You to pinochio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pinochio View Post
Install the Linux kernel for power user (settings and overlclock), you need a profile dsp.
Thanks! That I was afraid of So now we know for sure that "is based on kernel power" means, that it includes the kernel power workaround for thumb2. And yes, the CSSU thumb repository does not include kernel-config program

After reflash it is better to install the first KP51r1, then cssu thumb

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinochio For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life