Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Can we give the guy a second chance?
Of course "we" can give the guy a second chance but, seeing as he took advantage of the flaws in "our" system it is only fair that he reveals the flaws in his.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
as some people have realised we dont all live in fantasy world...this community is not built on 100 percent trust..look how nokia shafted maemo 5. he exploited a bug on here hence why other measures have been brought in. its the real world not maemo fantasy island..these are hard economic times in a dog eat dog world...

now back to my real world of wifey and kidsL

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
see the bold part... for the rest, rarely a human man apologizes without even trying to justify himself...
I admit I missed that. but you have to admit that there was a lot justifying etc around it that pretty much blew the whole apology unvalid.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by EzInKy View Post
Of course "we" can give the guy a second chance but, seeing as he took advantage of the flaws in "our" system it is only fair that he reveals the flaws in his.
how old are you??? you seem to be acting like my 15yr old child.

Originally Posted by dread123 View Post
if the work is all yours then why not..if the work feeds your family...if it promotes your company...why not...???
Send me your bank account number and password to access the funds necessary to feed my family, they are quite fat by the way, and I will create such an app.

51, and you?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
There are 2 things at play here;

1. Winning the support of the community.
2. Dealing with the system: fixing it, etc

Just like religions are separate from the state, I believe getting community support is optional in a system like this. (Although it's highly beneficial to have it).

Am I mistaken?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
there we go again

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I'll second the idea that the council should be issue a statement on this. It seems that perhaps this is one of the things that they should have a hand in.

I'm waiting patiently to buy Rovio's Angry Birds level pack(s). I want to encourage more folks to develop for the platform (and show that it can be profitable). I want to encourage "good" developers, ones who follow the rules, whether set by Nokia or the community depending on where/how the software is being distributed.

However, even if the community decides to give SiO2 a second chance, I won't be installing any of his software. He violated not only our (community) trust but Nokia's (enabling Extras by default based on the community effort), and all the other people who bought a N900, but don't participate in our community. Those people expect that software in the Extras repository (enabled by default) is "safe", and they should. By knowingly and intentionally cheating the QA process SiO2 has not only harmed his own reputation, but the communities reputation as well. We have ony his word at this point that his software is "safe", and he has shown himself to be of questionable morals.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
if the work is all yours then why not..if the work feeds your family...if it promotes your company...why not...???
Because uploading to Extras is a privilege, not a right, and comes with certain rules. You are free to debate them and try to get them changed, host your own repository elsewhere, or even just throw your toys out of the pram but you don't get to break them just because you find them inconvenient.

The sad thing is that a simple "packages in extras-testing, please vote" announcement would have probably got the packages promoted in the same time anyway...

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: