Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
Me personally, Nokia are Giants in the phone industry and have been for a long *** time. We'll have to keep waiting though, but when you think about it.

"VW" Built the Bugatti to say to people. Look this is what we can do, so you cant say we're sh*t now can you, so remember this day.

Everybody was hyped up with the AMD Processors for quite a few years, even me (Which im not ashamed to say) then BOOM!!! Intel go you lot want to talk bad about us, f*ck it here you go. Intel i7 and the "i9" = i7 980x, and now its like sh*t... we all got shafted being sucked into AMD thinking they really could take on Intel. When they have been the masters for a long time i7-980x Is a complete Multi-Core monster and will make any other processor look incapable of being able to run an on-screen Calculator in comparison. That was their way of saying look at what we've done, remember this day.

As for "Nokia loosing it" you keep thinking that, im sure they have something in the pipelines so shock us all and make us feel like twats for all this negative (bias) views on them.

Peace
I have to admit I was one of those AMD people. Although they still build great CPUs if your interested in power efficiency and getting a bang for your buck (with overclocking).

I think when alot of people look at Nokia, they're just comparing individual devices. The N900, the N8. But they're missing the bigger picture of what Nokia is trying to do with the operating system. For example, having Meego and Symbian 3 be more than just a Nokia platform, having QT compatibility so an app coded in Symbian 3 can run in Meego [and Maemo 5], vice versa. Heck, the best smartphone may not even come from Nokia, it might be an HTC device running Meego.

Though I'll still be looking for my next mobile computer.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I stopped reading at the whole iphone user experience nonsense.

Apple hasn't revamped the look of the iphone os since it came out.

Apple has cleaned it up and added more features. But the whole look (icons and all that crap) hasn't changed.

I like the way symbian looks. Why must an OS look like the android or apple for it to be accepted?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
You should consider that the N900 is a first of it's kind though and maybe compare it with one of the first androids.
IMO, the N900 is certainly better than the G1, particularly since there wasn't really a way to work around the memory limitations that it had for installing applications, which we have done with the N900.

We are a bit behind where Google was with a for-pay store for applications, and we do have to deal with the QT transition and potential MeeGo transition as well, but Android has had issues as well to deal with.

@nosa101
I totally agree, symbian looks far more advanced than iph0ne and even android. I mean really... they don't even hav a proper desktop on iphone... just a bunch of icons thrown in there and they call it an "UI"... :|

@TheLongshot
Totally agree on that part I'd spend gladly on apps for N900... unfortunately there's not much to be spent on. Symbian on the other hand

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gryedouge View Post
And all those forum posters who have been screaming that Nokia is falling apart and lost the plot will now feel vindicated
Perhaps. Or, perhaps the people who have been pointing out that Nokia should have provided a better customer experience will just go buy something somewhere else and THEN feel vindicated.

You know, if its going to make them stop whining, "those people" could go and freaking buy a poster of Steve Jobs naked.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
You know, if its going to make them stop whining, "those people" could go and freaking buy a poster of Steve Jobs naked.
How do you know they aren't going nuts over an extra large pop-up poster of a naked Steve Balmer?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
How do you know they aren't going nuts over an extra large pop-up poster of a naked Steve Balmer?
Figures, I wander down to this thread and see -that-.

Thanks. I don't have enough mind bleach to get that one out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Eldrar's reputation went on to the drain long ago together with sony's UIQ and not that sony's back on the track he's trying to make some room for them <= unprofessional for a journalist that's supposed to be impartial.
Actually Eldar brings to light many pertinent points regarding Nokia. IMO the man's pretty insightful and goes a long way to explaining some of Nokia's current predicaments.

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/05/0...-and-symbian3/

Extremely poor prior releases (N97 and X6)
Originally Posted by Murtazin
I have used N97 for six months. It’s a disaster. Anssi Vanjoki [Nokia VP] said that user experience with this device was catastrophic. I have been using Nokia X6 for 2-3 months, and, in terms of software, this device is very comparable with N97. So, I already have two devices that are bad, from software side. And when I’m writing about Nokia N8 – my main point – was about impressions. After bad devices, you have to impress the public, you have to show something very special. 12 megapixel camera is not enough.
N8 - good hardware, average software
On the other hand, I understand that N8 is a flagship device, and Nokia believes that this device will save the company, will save the brand, as technological leader. I do not believe in that, because, while Nokia N8 is a good product, it’s only “average”.

I see a lot of logical problems with this system [Symbian^3], because it’s based on the old system. It’s not bad, but it’s not up-to-date. It’s average.
BTW - I have occasional access to a prototype N8 and completely agree with Eldar. I was originally prepared to give Nokia the benefit of the doubt and expect that the N8 would be nicely polished and stable by September. But Eldar warns against such optimism and based on Nokia's track record, I believe him.

Conflicting business units
It’s connected to business processes inside Nokia, not Symbian^3 itself. It’s related to product teams, which developed particular products. They couldn’t come to agreement on order in which to place these icons of applications inside the phone.

It’s related to the business structure that I talked about before. And because of how the business process works, they couldn’t change this (for X6). My disappointment is mainly about this. Because for Nokia, now it’s very important to show that it can learn from their own mistakes. That they release a mature product into the market. Mature in terms of stability, in terms of features, etc;
It’s just one example. I discussed this issue with some top managers of Nokia, and they insist that they will change this in the near future… It was 3 or 4 years ago, and nothing changed. Everything’s the same in Symbian^3.
And this is not a new issue. British columnist Andrew Orlowski, wrote about it in 1997...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/02/nokia_new_coke/

Originally Posted by Orlowski
Nokia's corporate in-fighting continues, although the idiotic divide between the consumer division, which Nokia calls "Multimedia" and Enterprise divisions was only resolved in the recent June re-organisation, which abolished both business units. This divide led to developers having to negotiate two citadels of corporate bureaucracy (and fill out two sets of forms) if they wanted to view the Symbian source code. It also led to idiocies such as Nokia crippling its business phones, the E-series, so phones such as the E61i and E65 don't sport a consumer-friendly feature such as Bluetooth stereo, found on its consumer N series. At the same time, Nokia for a while crippled its Mail For Exchange client so N-series owners couldn't install even this most basic enterprise client.
Sloooooow development
It depends on the speed of development. [Nokia N8] hardware, is nearly perfect. Actually I like this device. But it’s average, in terms of features that are not evolving. Because when you implement a feature like multi-touch, you can compare it to the first product with multi-touch – iPhone. And you have to show something special or [at least] on the same level. If you do not show it, you miss. Of course, Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 will support multi-touch typing in standard keyboard. The main question is – When? Will it happen in September, or will it happen with the major update, which is coming in February next year to N8, and some other devices? Who knows? But at the start of sales in September, it will definitely not support such features.
Lack of programming resources
And if we are talking about such glitches or mistakes, it’s not connected to the stability of software. It’s the logical issues in this system. They have a very short time, and a very small number of programmers who are coding for this system.
Wow, I find this remarkable. It's the last thing I would expect from a cash-rich company like Nokia.

Releasing flagship products that are not ready
The main problem here is that you compare Nokia N8, which, is coming to the market in September, in best case. Well, maybe in some markets they’ll try to launch it in August. But I do not believe that Nokia will be able to launch N8 in early August with stable software. They could even launch it in June or July, but in that case it won’t be a stable software. If they launch it in August/September – it will be average in terms of stability, but it will be OK.

If we are talking about the old fashioned interface, ok. But when people will buy this product (Nokia N8), and find the same mistakes inside, it will be a very huge disappointment. And I do not believe, that until the launch, Nokia could change the business process just for one model, and fix all those glitches. They do not have money or time for that. And this is the same mistake that they have made before. They have not prepared enough to make a flagship device. For flagship, you have to make every effort to make a stable device, with stable software, hardware, etc;. Today they don’t have enough time even for testing N8, and it’s a pity. It will happen again, like with N97. Of course it won’t be as bad as with N97, but in any case we’ll see a lot of bugs in N8.
What strikes me about most of this - is that nearly all of Nokia's problems are self-inflicted and therefore avoidable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hintry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
@Hintry
except that the N8 is not a flagship phone.

Tags
bad mojo, h3ll100ser, ignorant thread, raised nothing, sigh, worst thread