Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Java is a programming language. Hardware support for it is not necessary.

Any web site that uses Java for some required function (e.g. account login on some banking sites) will not work with the Maemo browser. Java programs, common on many other phones, will not install or run in Maemo.
Is it possible that Fennec/Firefox may integrate Java and allow programs to work in their application ?

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Java is a programming language. Hardware support for it is not necessary.

Any web site that uses Java for some required function (e.g. account login on some banking sites) will not work with the Maemo browser. Java programs, common on many other phones, will not install or run in Maemo.

Nokia has stated they are not working on making Java available on Maemo. It is possible that someone else may craft a solution to running Java programs, a Java plug-in for the Maemo browser, or the like on Maemo, but such tasks are not simple, weekend projects.

In previous Maemo releases, it has been possible to s-l-o-w-l-y run at least some Java applications and applets within Easy Debian. That option should be available once again in Maemo 5, though qole has to fight past a few additional barriers this time.

As I understand it, the N900 has an IR transmitter only.
so you mean that, there are indeed some site will not open from the internet due to lack of Java???? huhuh

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Java and Javascript are not the same thing.

Originally Posted by 0Dark Knight0 View Post
so you mean that, there are indeed some site will not open from the internet due to lack of Java???? huhuh
Yes, but i have only seen a few. Generally java (not javascript, which is supported!) is used for advanced applets like function plotting or real-time 3D animation. And i'm pretty sure that nothing without windows or full-blown linux can run this sort of java

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kopte3 View Post
Java and Javascript are not the same thing.
yea bro,,, i know

Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
Yes, but i have only seen a few. Generally java (not javascript, which is supported!) is used for advanced applets like function plotting or real-time 3D animation. And i'm pretty sure that nothing without windows or full-blown linux can run this sort of java
so,, does it have negetive impact on broesing??( i mean is it very importany to have it???)

thnx

No, it's not. It's very probable that most people don't have it on their computers anyway, but never notice
Check here to see if you have it on your pc. If you see nothing or an error, you don't have a java plugin for browser and don't even need it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Is it possible that Fennec/Firefox may integrate Java and allow programs to work in their application ?
no there was no java runtime integration before and I guess its not on the feature list.

no the sites will open, its just some tools they use wont work and most of the time they have an old style replacement if its something really needed (not for games websiteclients)
I run once in a while in such a website (some sites you pay for what reason ever have such clients too, and thats nothing I want to start, on windows you might get your machine hijacked and thousands of popups). cause my desktop machines java webstart doesnt work atm, but that is nothing that worries me at all. its sites I wont surf to on my n900 nor on my desktop (well you never know what people do all day but honestly I dont care about JRE).

most of the websites work with flash javascript html php and cgi, php and cgi is something you dont even recognize as the server does that on his side, what you on the user side will see is flash html and javascript. flash is still a pain on some 64bit distributions and is truely a "hot" on the maemo userspace.

oh no I just recognized that one of my fav programs on the web is java! nothing scary its just a tool to view equirectangular pictures as 3D... thats something I use for testing my own pics and those I wont render on the n900 (not enough juice, a P4 allready takes 3 hours for it)

Last edited by chemist; 2009-11-12 at 10:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
You'll almost certainly not even notice it isn't there. Java's never been all that popular on the web. There were some things it was used for in the past because nothing else could do them, but that ground's been steadily taken away by Javascript and Flash and there isn't much left now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@0Dark Knight0: Yes. To find out what those are, go into your browser preferences on your desktop and disable Java. Leave Javascript enabled. Now browse around the web until you find a site that doesn't work.

@Thor: I would be surprised if the Firefox guys did their own Java port, since that's not something they've ever done in the past or have ever mentioned (AFAIK) doing in the future.

-John

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:

Tags
qik video streaming, sparta