Active Topics

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shuraizo View Post
And with Flop abandoning Meego, i'm gonna have to think twice before buying this product
I think that eFlop will be fired before N9's manufacturing ends. When WP7 eflops next year Nokia has to change their main smartphone OS.

Originally Posted by zymo View Post
win for me

Can’t you use a win7 pc as a dlna player?
Yes you can, natively via WMP or several other third party players.

Originally Posted by abbra View Post
That's the point -- I don't. However, options are out there. For example, all PS3s are DLNA players too and chances are that people have them at home.

I have PopCorn Hour which is DLNA server but not a DLNA player, unfortunately.
Another alternative that many people can do (and i am doing with my Nokia N8 and the playto dlna app), is if you have a tv with network capabilities is to connect your tv via network cable to your router. A lot of TV:s of yesteryear have dlna but no wireless connection.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
Why not, compared to N900:
better screen
better camera
better design
better cpu
@Shuraizo, despite Nokia's schizophrenic mindset...
I'd say it's a very decent improvement over the n900, & still very competitive to any phone out now or coming Q3.
But it's going to have a hard fight if it's still not being released in large no's until after Sep 30.

*Slightly better graphics than N900 too isn't it, or is it just a die-shrink?
*Plus all Harmattan binaries/libraries have hardfp applied.
i.e. better optimised for the ARM archictecture it's running on (IIRC can't say the same some of the other OS's).

Software "overall" looks light-years ahead too...
Some of the old hardcore N700/810 users aren't very impressed with it.
They wanted an entirely diff. device to what fits the mould of a smartphone today.
Plus there's some quibbles over more of the front-end (GUI) being closed.
But most of the base & middle-ware is just as open as it was, perhaps more so.
Of course many device drivers like graphics etc. are still binary blobs.
Which is not uncommon for most OSS projects in the world.

*1GB physical RAM (4x the N900)
[What's this, an anaemic CPU/GPU compared to other handsets, yet RAM capacity that's equal to the best muscle phones. Hmm curious, I wonder why that is!?]
*64GB built-in NAND ("plus" the 512mb ROM)
[Most phone SD slots (usually micro for space) only allow you to increase a further 32GB. That's "assuming" the phone supports microSDHC. It's possible for SDHC hosts to be improved w/fw twks, such that they're kinda SDXC hosts. But only if the phone OEM wants to, or the info/openness is there for a community to. And even "if" a phone can ultimately support higher capacity&speed HC/XC, I'm not sure 32GB+ mSD's w/IHS2 exist. If they do they'll be big $, which isn't much fun if the built-in capacity's only 16GB or so.* Finally, I'm not sure a SDXC host plus a 32GB+ microSDXC will perform as well as built-in 64GB NAND, even if it's using the 312MB/s IHS2 interface? Real-world diff's may be negligible]
*NFC
[NFC's properly implemented, unlike most other mobile OS...
This'll become more widely used for some intriguing apps in Q1 2012, as many more vendors or now embracing the tech]
*Superior Display
[Better than the N900/iP4 & -surprisingly- the SGS2, one of the "spec kings". There's phones w/better screens all-up, but as with any phone they'll be deficient somewhere]
*edit*
I forgot the iP4's PPI is notably higher, given the differences in screen area this is not an advantage for UI/Apps, but is to-some-extent for video playback.
But aside from pixel density, from what I've read/seen so far, the N9's display is as good or better in every other important metric (to be updated).

*edit* 2
A bit more about the screen, so looking better than the SGSII once one throws in CBD (called something else now), & a few other aspects.
I'll clarify how it compares to the most popular phones, once we have the final details. But it seems -contrary to popular opinion- that it uses superAMOLED+ (pentile)

*Superior Camera
[only the N8's slightly better, & that's only because it's got room for a camera module that's over 70% larger!]
*1450mAh battery (larger than N900's 1320mAh)
[Thanks to the unibody design, also used by iP4, but according to early accts w/better reception. Plus there's likely to be better efficiency, despite having more grunt & being more svelte than the N900]
*Possibly I've missed something...

*apparently they do exist, quite pricey though, & not sure how that speed compares to the built-in storage NAND of the N9 64GB.
*update*: gone missing from that shop, prolly others out there, def. expensive though, still new tech.

Less impressive but notable features:
*Micro-SIM
[also used by iP4, IIRC N9's also dual-SIM capable, but I may be wrong?]
*BT4.0
[official specs are wrong, it supports BT4] *edit* <-seems unlikely now. *update* <-still a possibility!
*802.11a/b/g/n
[many smartphones are only 802.11b/g/n, i.e. 2.4Ghz]
*FM RX/RDS
[Pissy feature, but hackable beyond obvious uses, at this stage FM TX looks unlikely]
*Possibly I've missed something...

Things I'll miss but prolly won't, as I usually own more than 1 nextgen phone:
N950's 12MP Cam (a red-herring, N950's camera is no better, there's more to camera hardware than MP; not to mention software optimizations N9 will get)
Keyboard (ima just gunna get the best portable USB/BT keybs I can find, I'm sure there's some doozies!)
Tilt-Stand (improvise! )
Lens Cover (someone will make a nice case w/a built-in cover, won't be as nice as the n900's but no "biggy")
Resistive (nice for some uses/applications, but overall not a huge loss IMO)
microSDHC/XC (kinda sux)
MHL (for HDMI via mUSB among other things, kinda sux)
CPU/GPU with more grunt (kinda sux)
Oh & iOS/Android's ecosystem to some extent, that old chestnut.
That "chicken then the egg, or egg then the chicken?" paradox, when it comes to users/commercial_devs.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-06 at 17:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 42 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2011
will it support provisioning for corporate email?

will it have multiple exchange accounts?

I recall that being discussed in this thread, & IIRC there was a dev or 2 knowledgeable in that area who responded.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3598&page=38
I think there's some pretty extensive corporate features being implemented.
But from what I read they still sound a bit flakey, & I don't know how well they compare feature-wise to other platforms.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-16 at 17:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dave1010 View Post
The N900's physical keyboard lets me easily interract with websites that have keyboard shortcuts (eg desktop version of gmail). Does anyone know if the N9's virtual keyboard can be activated manually (without first having to focus a text field)?
I imagine there'd be some way it can be mapped to one of the few physical buttons.
Or a soft button could be (or is) implemented for site's w/keyb shortcuts, & only pop-up when one comes across such sites.

I'm not sure of a solution though...
I recall folks who have direct access to N9/950's VKB posting occasionally here to let us know some things.
If you haven't already posted, maybe you could try asking there?

Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
Does the N9 media player support gapless playback of audio files? I thought this feature request was targeted for Harmattan ages ago but it looks like I was wrong:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2796
If it doesn't, anyone aware of a media player that runs on the N9 that does?
Again not sure on an answer, but you could try asking here?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74181&page=132
Or here
http://forum.meego.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-16 at 18:28.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I recall that being discussed in this thread, & IIRC there was a dev or 2 knowledgeable in that area who responded.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3598&page=38
I think there's some pretty extensive corporate features being implemented.
But from what I read they still sound a bit flakey, & I don't know how well they compare feature-wise to other platforms.
Thanks. That will be a deal breaker if I cant access my work email. N900 could not connect to my work email due to non-provisioning...I am not going to buy another device that cant sync with my work server.

What's Android/iOS/WP support like in that area?

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
What's Android/iOS/WP support like in that area?
iOS support is flawless with regards to my corporate email. Dont know about Android, but would assume it does a good job too.

Below exchange seesm disappointing to me if provisioning only partial

Default Re: Finally the Nokia N9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecy View Post
Quim

Can you tell us if we have full Exchange support for email and calendar/contacts synch. ie the main issue with N900 was no support for provisioning, which stopped me and many others from using it as their main device.

Thanks in advance.

"Provisioning is not fully supported, some weird setting related to HW are not available(disable camera, BT, ...), if your server demands that it will not work, more common requirements are supported(passwords, time to lock...). "