Notices

No, my repos are all very much standard, and tap-and-hold worked in earlier versions (but I don't know if it worked in the previous version, because I didn't try to add a poi with that version. So I only know that it must have stopped working between a version from last year and this one.)
tap-and-hold still works as usual in other tap-and-hold applications.

Ya know, I've been doing a bit of research into sqlite, and I like it a lot better than the old DB system by far. GDBM would give you aneurysms just trying to understand it. But SQlite works a lot like MySQL, which should make creating a shell script that does essentially the same thing for Linux users what Winmapper does for Windows users very easy. I'd code it myself, but my perl skills are the suckage these days. I do mostly web programming in php, so my perl skills have gone south.

But it's very easily doable for someone who might be interested in writing such a script that's good with perl. Also, variables to get it started could either be configured in the script itself, or called from the command line.

Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post
I have heard that, but for me bluetooth is the way to go. I want to mount the radio in the trunk and leave the NIT in its mount on my dash.

I will look into soundmodem and if its possible I will try to port it and see what happens...

-John
Have you had a chance to look into soundmodem? I compiled and installed it a few weeks ago, but I was not able to get it to work properly. I don't recall exactly what technical problems I ran into, but I think my limited understanding of ALSA was a big problem...

I would be willing to get back into this if anyone else out there is interested and wants to collaborate.

-Frank
VE1FIS

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Ugh...have yet another problem. MM is no longer talking with my GPS and when I go into "Settings" everything under the GPS tab is greyed out except "GPSD Host". I don't have gpsd install on my device...I don't believe...and besides before I upgraded I was using the bluetooth setting.[..]
I have exactly the same problem (N800, OS2007, MM v2.6.2)
The Bluetooth part is greyed out, I can see my BT GPS mac address there, and it is even selected (the little ring to the left is tick'ed). MM sits in 'searching for GPS receiver' forever. I can select GPSD (but I can't switch back to the grey'ed out BT), but that makes no difference. There's even a /usr/sbin/gpsd installed on my system.

The BT connection worked fine with the earlier (pre-v2.6.1) version.

hi ,
can anybody help using maomo mapper on n800 ,installed correcting ,can not open at all ......do idea what's wrong .....

kind regards,

dave

I've just updated, and MM will no longer run. When I run from terminal I get the following:
maemo-mapper[2040]: GLIB WARNING ** Gtk - gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -24 and height 0
maemo-mapper[2040]: GLIB DEBUG ConIc - con_ic_connection_send_event(0x11db18, 3ba65ede-ebfd-4878-b636-3e728623699d, WLAN_INFRA, 0)
gdbm fatal: read error

Does anyone have any pointers as to what might be causing this? I do notice some odd calls on widget size up there; I don't know if that's relevant.

*sighs* MaemoMapper is now having issues since it seemed to have crashed my tablet while downloading maps (tablet reboot). Now whenever I try to download maps using the map downloading tool, versus regular browsing of the map (by clicking around) it instant crashes maemo mapper.

EDIT: Nevermind even clicking around past an area that needs to be downloaded will crash tablet.

Hmm it says "gbdm fatal: read error". But I thought it uses SQLite now? (I deleted everything when I upgraded and let it remake the files..Please don't tell me I've been just redownlaoding all my gbdm maps again). When I upgraded I made sure to delete all the files, delete the repos, and just repopulate the list.

EDIT 2: Red, I get a similar error. Though MaemoMapper has been running fine for me for a while till it crashed downloading maps which seemed to bugger the database file.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-04-06 at 04:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Your comment about gdbm and map corruption gave me an idea. Rename your map files one by one until MM becomes stable. I just did that and MM is now working fine.

Renaming what files? The databases like Gstreet.db? By doing so you would just be creating a new .db file and then have to redownload all the maps again.

Edit: Deleted the Google Street repo and created a new one.. but now I have..

Gstreet.db (the old one)
#Gstreet# (the new one)

o.O

Edit2: Can anyone tell me if SQLITE still uses a .db file? Also does anyone else have problems when they try to download large amounts of map (100+ MB) causing crashes in either Maemo Mapper or the tablet restarting (probably due to a lock up)

Also does anyone know if it's possible to run a virtual version of Maemo in VirtualBox. Since Winmapper doesn't seem to be working with SQLite. I was thinking, if it was possible to install Maemo into Virtualbox, install maemo mapper, download maps through there. Then transfer to tablet.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-04-06 at 17:29.

I gave up and just re-created the file. *sighs*. I guess I'll have to keep backups of it from now on.

Anyway, is it possible to create an alert system for POI? For example, I'm a member of a few sites that report speed/red light cameras and Maryland recently passed a bill to increase the amount of speed cameras (oh joy). Anyway, it'd be useful if I could actually use the POI from the sites I contribute to in MaemoMapper. Basically my idea is to use my category of POI called camera. Then maybe have MaemoMapper play some alarm or a loud distinct beep when your coming up to a certain POI.