Active Topics

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
Has anyone else noticed that on mobile phones direct they have changed the price of the vodafone payg from £392 all the way up to £450 - the same as what they sell the sim free version for

Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
Has anyone else noticed that on mobile phones direct they have changed the price of the vodafone payg from £392 all the way up to £450 - the same as what they sell the sim free version for
Yeah, but if you preordered at the lower price, they will honor that price

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
I went into a vodafone shop this morning. they had no information on N900 at all. so presumably won't be selling direct any time soon.

I also asked about monthly contracts with unlimited web. They were happy to show me some options any of which they said
'add £5 for unlimited web'

this is how the conversation went

'so how limited is you unlimited?'

'erm, there is a 500MB fair usage policy'

'what happens after that'

he consulted with someone else

'after 500mb it's £2.50 per MB, but it's fine because ona mobile it's all compressed so you won't use that much data'

'yes I will, I'd be putting it in an N900'

'what and using it as a modem?'

'No, the n900 is closer to a mobile computer than a phone, i'll blow througha few hundred MB in podcasts alone. don't you have any other plans with larger data deals?'

'no'

'fine, that rules you out then, thanks anyway'

I get that not everyone needs even 500mb but I object to 'unlimited' being actually specific hard limit after which they'll charge you insane amounts per MB
if they'd said we'll give you a warning, or we'll push you on to some other more expensive contract aimed at hgher users, then I might have considered them. but basically if I have a heavy month on 3g and download a podcast over my limit I could be looking at £100 extra bill easy.

no thanks vodafone, thanks for playing.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
IMHO, the term Unlimited is used in not just misleading but false ways by mobile operators.

Is it really so difficult to simply quote the allowance for each tariff and bundle?

ye i thinking more to t mobile with there £10 month with 3gb date a month or there £5 month for 1 gb

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
This thread has got me all confused again as to the best way to go
I was planning on ordering the n900 direct from nokia using the 15% off as I dont need a SIM, Im on Orange and its paid for by work
This would mean shelling out £420 upfront, I can do it, but Im not sure its the best way now after looking at the mobiles direct site..

They have a 12 month contract for the n900 (combi 30) which costs £29.36 a month and an initial outlay of £78 which comes to a total of £430.32, which is £10 more than buying the device outright.

Im thinking, take this contract, ditch the SIM, use my orange SIM, and then in a year I can upgrade for a much cheaper price to the n950

If I buy the phone direct from nokia, I will face having to pay another £450 to upgrade to whatever is the next must have phone in a year to 18 months time

I am presuming that the phone wont be locked to a network, but even if it is, there will be a hack to change that

Am I thinking right here? Can I have a reality check..

The Following User Says Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
...They have a 12 month contract for the n900 (combi 30) which costs £29.36 a month and an initial outlay of £78 which comes to a total of £430.32, which is £10 more than buying the device outright.

Im thinking, take this contract, ditch the SIM, use my orange SIM, and then in a year I can upgrade for a much cheaper price to the n950 ...

Am I thinking right here? Can I have a reality check..
I think you're thinking right. The T-mobile contract deals at mobilephonesdirect do seem to be pretty good.

But if you are prepared to go to 18 months you can do better with the Combi 15 contract. £14.69 per month times 18, plus £140.99, giving a total of £405.41.

(For those who are actually going to be using the SIM card but don't do much talking, the best deal may be Combi 15 + Web'n'walk for £19.57 times 18, plus £112.99, equals £465.25)

Also, you need to add delivery charges (£3.99 I think) whereas with the Nokia Special Offer there's free delivery until 21 November.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Thanks for that - you are right, there are some pretty impressive deals at the moment.
The only catch would be if the phone was locked to a different network, but at that price it wouldn't be the end of the world if the only way to unlock it would be to pay..

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by dwould View Post
'erm, there is a 500MB fair usage policy'
'what happens after that'
he consulted with someone else
'after 500mb it's £2.50 per MB, but it's fine because ona mobile it's all compressed so you won't use that much data'
This is not what I've been told by the Vodafone 'eForum' folks, who are usually a lot more reliable than the shop drones when it comes to details of data plans. In short, according to them it's 500Mb FUP, but they'll send warnings as you get close, and you won't get charged unless you go over by a lot, or as a matter of routine. In other words, 500Mb is a guideline, but don't take the mickey.

'yes I will, I'd be putting it in an N900'
'what and using it as a modem?'
'No, the n900 is closer to a mobile computer than a phone, i'll blow througha few hundred MB in podcasts alone.
don't you have any other plans with larger data deals?'
'no'
And that's just plain wrong. Vodafone also do deals at 3Gb for £15 and 5Gb for £25 (on top of a voice contract) that they call 'Mobile Broadband via the Phone' - the idea is that they're similar deals as on the broadband dongles, but for people that want to use the phone as a modem, but really, they're just higher usage limits. I've asked my local shop people about them and they simply told me that they didn't deal with those, didn't know anything about them, and I'd have to go to the website people.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
15% off devices and accessories in Europe via twitter discount. Valid till 21st Oct.

http://europe.nokia.com/microsites/discount-twitter

Select your store location
Write down the discount code for your country and use it when you check out.

* UK SOCUK15

* Germany NOS09TW

* France SOC15

* Italy TWTR01

* Sweden OKT15T

* Netherlands SOC15/1009

* Poland SAVE15TW

* Spain DTINK

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:

Tags
£306!!