Active Topics

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Does anybody still remember 2006, and there was this new piece of hardware, this crazy 770, and we were all like, omg, linux, that's it! we'll finally break free from the chains of the cellphone industry?

what ever happened to that?
where's the spirit, guys?
Or are there just too many "oooh, shiny shiny" users in here by now?

I don't care if PR1.2 takes another week or still a month. The n900 is hella useful already as it is now. it's a freakin kickass phone. any update to that is bonus.

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by quingu View Post
Does anybody still remember 2006, and there was this new piece of hardware, this crazy 770, and we were all like, omg, linux, that's it! we'll finally break free from the chains of the cellphone industry?

I don't care if PR1.2 takes another week or still a month. The n900 is hella useful already as it is now. it's a freakin kickass phone. any update to that is bonus.
That spirit is in same place that my Amiga-AtariST-CPC-AppleII-etc spirits: in the PAST.
Times change friend. Beginnings are only the start, then, EVOLUTION.

The Following User Says Thank You to rpgAmazon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
That's probably it. These "shiny, shiny" people shouldn't be here. The N900 wasn't meant for them. Android was. The iPhone was. It's like a group of people who bought tickets for some violent B-movie and by mistake end up in the theater showing Visconti's "Death in Venice".

The one and only reason I bought the N900 is that it's a device based on a free GNU/Linux stack - the same software I run on my desktop. Literally the same software. I buy the N900 (and will buy future MeeGo products) for ideological reasons only, the same way I use GNU/Linux on my desktop for ideological reasons only.

Whatever happened to target groups in marketing? Why would those "shiny shiny" people even believe for one second the N900 could be possibly for them, too?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
sorry guys but if these "shiny people" didnt buy the N900 and Nokia wouldnt make the money your whole Maemo Project wouldnt have no more evolution since Maemo4. Couse Maemo5 on the Devices before the N900 is not possible iam right?

And sure if i did get the N900 as marketing or testing Present from Nokia or was able to buy it for 299$ about my carma points okay who cares if it dont works right.

But most of the shiny People did buy it for 600 euro around 800 $ last year and not for cheap.. like me. And we dont need to argue about if it is a phone or a more a mobile pc its what Nokia said to sell it .. the new amazing flagship Mobile Phone Device the future.

And now they have to handle it like that but thy put there whole engergy into Meego as we can see at the Dev Blogs. i fear if we would know about Nokias future plans for the N900 we would cry and scream much more..

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
That's probably it. These "shiny, shiny" people shouldn't be here. The N900 wasn't meant for them.
Are you following maemo-developers list? nokia official position is that the n900 is a consumer device for our mothers or guys drinking coffee in the next bar.

The Following User Says Thank You to nicola.mfb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
That's probably it. These "shiny, shiny" people shouldn't be here. The N900 wasn't meant for them. Android was. The iPhone was. It's like a group of people who bought tickets for some violent B-movie and by mistake end up in the theater showing Visconti's "Death in Venice".

The one and only reason I bought the N900 is that it's a device based on a free GNU/Linux stack - the same software I run on my desktop. Literally the same software. I buy the N900 (and will buy future MeeGo products) for ideological reasons only, the same way I use GNU/Linux on my desktop for ideological reasons only.

Whatever happened to target groups in marketing? Why would those "shiny shiny" people even believe for one second the N900 could be possibly for them, too?
Unfortunately YOU NEED THEIR MONEY to support your hobby
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I would say that most of us "shiny shiny" users, myself included, researched the N900 prior to purchase and understood its cutting edge nature. This was part of the reason for the purchase.

However, take another look at the maemo.nokia.com site that has been up since the launch of the N900. Its very "shiny shiny" , in fact, even "shiny shiny shiny". If Nokia marketed the product in that way and created an expectation, then we have a right and expectation to get a cuting edge and " shiny" N900.

I wait for PR 1.2

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claud001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland

I have had hella lot good times with my n800.

but things change unfortunately. that just must be accepted and move along...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ berkshire, england
Unfortunately its a lot , i mean a lot , of shiny shiny phone users buying the n900 on the basis its a kick *** PHONE.

Primarily thats the way nokia in the uk at least advertise it, a mobile phone that is also the future of mobile computing .

Also for those of us that went to the launch of the device , it was going to be open source for users to develop for it AS WELL AS NOKIA . End of story, they are developing a major update for it for us to then develop the bits n pieces .

So why even let it slip out unless there is some form of date for the release ???

Thousands of unhappy customers ? disenfranchised at Nokia for their seeming inability to do something within a reasonable timeframe ..

Or maybe next time just keep quiet till the update happens ?

I know which I would prefer

James

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
Hm... I didn't think my e-mail would get this kind of press.

Settle down folks.

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb