Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
on that stylus issue, i guess it depends on how one expect to use the device.

and as always with a open ended device like the tablets, those expectations will wary to a great degree.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
on that stylus issue, i guess it depends on how one expect to use the device.

and as always with a open ended device like the tablets, those expectations will wary to a great degree.
Bah! What kind of response is that? In your time on ITT, have you not learned that one's own use case is definitive and all others aberrations? Sheesh.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Dear Nokia:
I heard the most preposterous rumor and I was hoping you could clear things up for me. Is it true that none of your future hand-held linux devices will have a stylus and a stylus holder? Thanks in advance.
daperl
Obviously the future is subject to change, whatever one might now say. But to phrase this issue differently: there are resistive touchscreens and capacitive screens. Resistive screens support styluses, capacitive do not (except special ones, but that's a bad idea).

Now, people seem to prefer capacitive screens in general. To ship a capacitive device, having stylus UI elements is obviously a very bad idea. For a platform, there can of course be many different devices, with differing screen technologies. But branching the UI software would also be a bad idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
For a platform, there can of course be many different devices, with differing screen technologies. But branching the UI software would also be a bad idea.
Variety is the spice of life - If Nokia hadn't branched their Symbian OS UIs there wouldn't have been a Series 90 so no 7710, hildon or tablets and we wouldn't be arguing finger vs stylus here today ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Because a stylus sucks for mobile usage. Simple as that.
A finger sucks in just as many (albeit fundamentally different) ways for mobile usage. So what we have here is a discussion about preferred suckage. And let's stop right there.

Now that we have all that covered, let's get on to the real deal, pupil-tracking pointers. Fast, no hands needed, does not obscure the screen, high resolution and much more uniform among human population than fingers. We just need a higher resolution user-facing IR sensitive webcam.

But to phrase this issue differently: there are resistive touchscreens and capacitive screens. Resistive screens support styluses
Okay, then I'll rephrase:

Will any future Nokia hand-held OMAP3 linux devices have resistive touchscreens? If so, will any of them have a stylus and a stylus holder? And lastly, will these same devices have screen resolutions less than 800x480? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Now that we have all that covered, let's get on to the real deal, pupil-tracking pointers. Fast, no hands needed, does not obscure the screen, high resolution and much more uniform among human population than fingers. We just need a higher resolution user-facing IR sensitive webcam.
While that might seem like the superior pointer technology I think there are a lot of serious problems with it... namely, discrimination:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp-b5hJ1HCs

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Resistive screens support styluses, capacitive do not (except special ones, but that's a bad idea).
Why is it such a bad idea to have a special stylus? The current hardware supports using any physical object to press the screen, a capacitive screen would allow flesh or a special stylus.

I've only ever touched my tablet screen with my finger (or nail) or the supplied stylus (since it's always to hand in the in-build stylus holder).

If I no longer had a stylus option, touching the screen would still be my last choice. But with laptops, a touch pad is my first choice. So, here's a front and back picture of some 2002 technology (the touch pad of my poor, dead Evo N410c. I miss you). It's wafer thin, cheap and I wouldn't need the buttons. Why can't something like this be on the backplate? Nokia is already going to need one for their netbook. Just have someone reach over to that assembly line and slap it on my tablet. Then you could capacitate till the cows come home. But just to be clear, this would be a compromise; I would still prefer a stylus for my RX-81.

Name:  35_44_16-130409.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  51.0 KB
Name:  56_44_16-130409.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  45.8 KB

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Now, people seem to prefer capacitive screens in general.
do they? they might be willing to accept the limitations of the technology in a few selected use cases. what they really want is a touchscreen that works. neither capacitive nor resistive do very well today.

Tags
dismantle, fremantle, fremantle summary, kate alhola, kool-aid, no soup for you, presentation, to sylus or not to stylus