Active Topics

I found this year's NW to be disappointing by far, if it wouldn't be for the N900.

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Multiple Maemo powered devices. May be a new series line for these.
Next year.

Also, there was a rumored 12mp phone. So, may be that even.
A very reliable source told me this: "This phone will be announced at MWC '10. It will have 3x optical zoom (just like the N93 had) and 50 % larger lens size compared to the N86's counterpart (as the 12/8 ratio would indicate)."

The same source said that the N900 does indeed have a digital compass inside, but it's not enabled by the hardware. This rumor has yet to be cuffed, and so can be said about the rumor above.

But the important thing is that the same source also predicted basicly everything that occured everything at Nokia World '09:

- A capacitive version of the 5800 (True, X6)
- A slimmed down version of the N97 (True, N97 mini)
- A laptop/netbook device from Nokia (True, Booklet 3G)
- A big surprise (Somewhat true, N900)
- A 12MP device with 3x optical zoom (False)

Note that this statement was made some months before NW09. It wasn't very detailed (the netbook's OS and CPU was unrevealed, and so on), but it spotted every major device that would come (except for the X3).

Of course you have to give or take some of its details, I mean a 12MP unit didn't arrive, but this source (which I can't reveal) did at least spot what would come, and that indicates that this cameraphone should be excepted in the near future.

Indeed, it will be very interesting to see if the N900 really has a digital compass, or not! Actually, we might never know... we will only know if some either spots it, or goes through the entire hardware.

A phone/cam with a built-in projector?
No, that's Samsung (and SE to a lesser degree, if you count portable accessories as mobile projectors, that is).

I think we would have found out by now whether the n900 has a digital compass given the fact that at least 300 of these devices are out in the wild in the hands of people who would find out (unless it's completly hidden as in there's not even a disabled driver in it and the only way you'd find it is by doing a tear-down of the n900).

As for a phone with a megapixel camera that big >.> Bleck, megapixel myth. Though I will take the optical zoom.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think we would have found out by now whether the n900 has a digital compass given the fact that at least 300 of these devices are out in the wild in the hands of people who would find out (unless it's completly hidden as in there's not even a disabled driver in it and the only way you'd find it is by doing a tear-down of the n900).

As for a phone with a megapixel camera that big >.> Bleck, megapixel myth. Though I will take the optical zoom.
Never say never... no one can persuade me to believe in that, unless someone will have some proof. And I really doubt that anyone will be able to prove that the N900 lacks a compass.

We might never see the existance of a compass... but it might still be there. Now you might wonder if it really matters whether there is an inactive compass or not, but this is a fight of honor, and I'm not the one to give up first.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
People have posted pics of N900 naked and nothing of digital compass to be found

Why but digital compass in the hardware, and not use it...?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
People have posted pics of N900 naked and nothing of digital compass to be found
Are you trying to crush my belief? I can already tell you that it won't work. I'm not listening to this... j/k.

Hope (and absolutely not naivety! ) is something valuable, something that hopefully won't leave my soul. I still believe there is a certain chance (although very slim) that the mass produced N900 units will have an existance of the debated compass. Don't ever confuse this with naivety!

Where is a picture of the N900 mainboard? Until wee literally see the hardware as soldered, we won't know for sure if there's a digital compass or not.

I suspect not, which is a bit surprising.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post

This doesn't say that there's no compass. The compass would most likely be integrated to the GPS chip anyway.

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
This doesn't say that there's no compass. The compass would most likely be integrated to the GPS chip anyway.
Did you see it in dmesg? Did you see dmesg? Did you see GPS chip in dmesg? I did. Not known to include a digital compass.