Do you have a digital camera that takes SD cards? You can format it in most cameras with the little adapter.

Ya, it won't let me format it because its not an SD. It fits, just wont format. I also tried to format it via Norton Partition Manager and it just gives me an error...

Ok, I also tried formatting it via File Manager in the 770. My computer still doesn't see it?

Ya, it won't let me format it because its not an SD. It fits, just wont format. I also tried to format it via Norton Partition Manager and it just gives me an error...
Ok, try this. I assume you got a dual boot computer with a card reader. Boot into linux, put the card in your reader with the little adapter thingy. Su to root. Check dmesg, card will probably be detected as sda. You probably got a partition as sda1. Unmount any partitions that auto-mounted:

umount /dev/sda1

then open cfdisk:

cfdisk /dev/sda

delete ALL partitions, CFDISK should show all space as free space. Write changed to disk and exit CFDISK.

Force a format of entire device:

mkfs.vfat -I /dev/sda (note the -I that is a capital i)

NOTE: Change sda to whatever dmesg showed you as device name.

Hopefully this will work.

Ok, disregard that, it did not see my card in Windows. You need to create a partition on the card (sorry about that). Use the max size and make it bootable in CFDISK. write the changes and exit. Then try mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1. I just did this and Windows (2000) now sees my entire mmc by USB.

Originally Posted by troubleshootr
Ok, disregard that, it did not see my card in Windows. You need to create a partition on the card (sorry about that). Use the max size and make it bootable in CFDISK. write the changes and exit. Then try mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1. I just did this and Windows (2000) now sees my entire mmc by USB.
I did this through the Partition Program in XTerm and it still doesn't see it? Do I need to do this through Linux?

first of all, i dont have any linux experience and dont have linux. i do have a nokia 770 and a pc running 2k.

some time in the future i would like to do the 1gig extension of the foot file system as describe but with so much posting, im a bit confused. i hope you will help me by answering my questions.

1. ive downloaded the extroofs and exterm. are these the only two files i need to do the extended root file system?

2. will xterm allow me to get root access or do i need another file.

3. where do i install or load the extroofs file.

4. how do i execute the extroofs

5. when executing extroofs, will it ask how large i want the partitions to be.

6. what problems am i to encounter. by reading thru the post, it seems that some people have run into some snags but got it working. i on the other hand dont have any experience with linux so all that coding is a bit over my head.

7. will this upgrade free the physical memory so it will run faster and larger programs.

8. what is the recommended partition size for each partition

Im sure ill have other questions but any other help with this will be appreciatted.

thanks,
claudio

Last edited by c_legaspi; 2006-04-18 at 01:44.

Originally Posted by kutibah
I did this through the Partition Program in XTerm and it still doesn't see it? Do I need to do this through Linux?
I did it through Linux. Do NOT do the mkfs.vfat -I /dev/sda. Just delete all partitions through CFDISK in Linux. Then make a new Primary partion, max size, and bootable. Then WRITE and QUIT. Then format with mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1.

Originally Posted by c_legaspi
first of all, i dont have any linux experience and dont have linux. i do have a nokia 770 and a pc running 2k.

some time in the future i would like to do the 1gig extension of the foot file system as describe but with so much posting, im a bit confused. i hope you will help me by answering my questions.

1. ive downloaded the extroofs and exterm. are these the only two files i need to do the extended root file system?

2. will xterm allow me to get root access or do i need another file.

3. where do i install or load the extroofs file.

4. how do i execute the extroofs

5. when executing extroofs, will it ask how large i want the partitions to be.

6. what problems am i to encounter. by reading thru the post, it seems that some people have run into some snags but got it working. i on the other hand dont have any experience with linux so all that coding is a bit over my head.

7. will this upgrade free the physical memory so it will run faster and larger programs.

8. what is the recommended partition size for each partition

Im sure ill have other questions but any other help with this will be appreciatted.

thanks,
claudio

1. Yes
2. No, you need a Linux or OSX operating system and follow instructions here:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot
or you can use a Linux live boot CD or Virtual Linux install. see here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...Host_Mode,_etc.)

3. This is not a program, but rather a script. It will move the required files and set up the required links automatically.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ExtendedRootFilesystem

4. You run the command via Xterm as the root user.

5. No, you need to partition the RS-MMC before hand
6. Hopefully None. In my experience the memory card will no longer be seen by Windows when using the USB cable.
7. Not directly, but you can set up a swap file later for more available system memory. It will not run any faster though.
8. It depends on the size of your memory card and your preferences.

i thought everything can now be done on the nokia 770. i still do more research before i do this but for now, it does what i need it to do

thanks