Active Topics

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
@qwerty12: I want to change the dpad settings. I *thought* all it took was replacing the .so file with the one you provide here. But this didn't work. I'm assuming now that I need to install your modified plugin as well. Is this right? If yes, can you describe how to install this? When I installed the original applet, I simply clicked the auto-install link provided at http://sse2.net/rotate/ .

Thanks!
I don't really know what to say

You install the rotate-sb-plugin. The original one frrom the sse link.

Once you have the rotate applet installed, unzip the file and use mv to move it to /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
So if I had the applet working fine before trying to replace the .so file, and then replaced the .so file with the .so file you attached here, that should work, right? I didn't need to do anything with the "rotate-sb-plugin (copy)" file you also attached?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
So if I had the applet working fine before trying to replace the .so file, and then replaced the .so file with the .so file you attached here, that should work, right? I didn't need to do anything with the "rotate-sb-plugin (copy)" file you also attached?
Exactly

The ... (copy) is the modified source to satsify gnu licence. Only needed for developers.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
I see. Thanks. Well, I wonder why it didn't work then.

Oh well, I've gotten use to hitting the right side of the Dpad while in portrait mode to scroll down. In fact, now that I ponder it, I think this is more ergonomically pleasant than if I had to hit the (modified) down-button.

So... would this feature be part of the next ITOS release?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Victoria, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by houman View Post
you know I'd use this mode (left rotation or right rotation all the time), the only trouble I have is the left screen bars and when I bring keyboard, the keys are into each other (like m & n )
i had the same feelings until today! i decided to try dragging the sidebar panel from the left to the bottom and to my surprise it actually moved!

the windows have much more horizontal space now and the keys on the keyboard don't overlap. i think it might actually be faster for stylus typing because you don't have to move the stylus so far to reach different keys. the only problem is the tasklist in the panel is mucked up(still tries to display the running programs vertically).. i prefer using the home button anyway (even though in this orientation half of it is displayed offscreen).

i've attached a screenshot
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikemorrison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Victoria, BC, Canada
I see. Thanks. Well, I wonder why it didn't work then.

Oh well, I've gotten use to hitting the right side of the Dpad while in portrait mode to scroll down. In fact, now that I ponder it, I think this is more ergonomically pleasant than if I had to hit the (modified) down-button.
do you have the xmodmap program installed? i believe his modified plugin calls that program to remap the keys. this would explain why it's not working for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikemorrison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikemorrison View Post
i had the same feelings until today! i decided to try dragging the sidebar panel from the left to the bottom and to my surprise it actually moved!

the windows have much more horizontal space now and the keys on the keyboard don't overlap. i think it might actually be faster for stylus typing because you don't have to move the stylus so far to reach different keys. the only problem is the tasklist in the panel is mucked up(still tries to display the running programs vertically).. i prefer using the home button anyway (even though in this orientation half of it is displayed offscreen).

i've attached a screenshot
I tried that and it works, even in normal mode the task bar remains in the lower section giving more space to the apps. The task bar can also be moved to the left side of the device, but it seems to be unstable, after trying a few apps it just stops, goes back to the original layout and closes all the extra apps.

Last edited by RNAmancer; 2008-03-22 at 22:51.

Originally Posted by mikemorrison View Post
How exactly did you do this? I did try to drag the sidebar to the bottom, but it doesn't move.

Which version of OS2008 are you using? 2007.50-2 or 2007.51-3?

I know that the position and size of the sidebar panel and the other hildon desktop elements can be changed via /etc/hildon-desktop/desktop.conf
But no drag&drop changes for me.

Last edited by iskarion; 2008-03-23 at 12:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
I send an patch for dpad rotation to the developer (jott, http://sse2.net/rotate/) and an own icon which fits very well into the other icons.

i hope he will include it in the next release. in the meantime you can request me via pm for my version of the rotate-plugin where the dpad gets rotated too.
i don't want to make it public because i want to avoid a fork of the plugin.

greetz

Tags
angular momentum, quantum mechanics, rotation, weirdtags