Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I like the gstreamer backend too, I just don't understand why the maemo media player constantly says "format not supported" on standard XviD / mp3 AVIs when the same video plays fine in VLC or mplayer. Doesn't it use the standard ffmpeg decoders? Is this a problem of the media player or the gstreamer plugins? Could we get custom gstreamer plugins for Maemo that add support for all ffmpeg-supported codecs?
Note that the dsp stuff gets moody at times (on my prerelease firmware). On several occasions I had "format not supported" on files that previously played back perfectly. A reboot later, they were ok again.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
aha... DSP limitations... That could explain a lot... So the problem with the Maemo gstreamer plugin is that it can't fall back to non-DSP playback.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
But redenisc, you have to remember that this is primarily a user forum, so people are going to click on the official installer on the web page, not download the source and compile the latest svn with the native libmatroska plugin. If you want users to have access to bleeding edge versions of the app, you have to provide a not-too-difficult way for them to download packaged binaries of these versions.
That's why there is http://nightlies.videolan.org/

You have to remember that most normal users want a trade-offs between features and stability, rather than always the latest features.

When you're writing a library such as FFmpeg, maybe you can ignore this problem. But when you're shipping end-user software to millions of (mostly clueless) Windows/MacOS/Linux users, you just cannot ship the latest GIT version to everybody everyday and without testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to redenisc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
I built and put gstreamer0.10-plugins-ffmpeg into extras-devel this morning.

This should handle some of the quirkier video and audio codecs found in files.

A word of warning, the library takes 5MB in root so maybe I should move it to /home/user/.gstreamer-0.10/plugins/ for my next package upload.

UPDATE: also vp6 which is not quirky This will require flvdemux to play flv files, which I will try and package later today.

Last edited by zaheerm; 2009-11-05 at 14:24.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
A word of warning, the library takes 5MB in root so maybe I should move it to /home/user/.gstreamer-0.10/plugins/ for my next package upload.
As I understand it, it /opt would be better. See http://wiki.maemo.org/Opt_Problem

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
As I understand it, it /opt would be better. See http://wiki.maemo.org/Opt_Problem
/opt would be fine for me but that means Nokia would have to change their GST_PLUGIN_PATH default environment which I doubt they will.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
/opt would be fine for me but that means Nokia would have to change their GST_PLUGIN_PATH default environment which I doubt they will.
Using maemo-optify moves the file into /opt/maemo/<whatever> and adds a symlink to where the file originally was. So using maemo-optify should not require a change of GST_PLUGIN_PATH.

Anyway, thanks for the upload. More codecs is never a bad thing.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Hey, when you VLC critics are able to play all those "fine" hentai vids that no other player can- you will feel real bad and will then like VLC

Actually, some are pretty cool in an artistic kind of way...

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Using maemo-optify moves the file into /opt/maemo/<whatever> and adds a symlink to where the file originally was. So using maemo-optify should not require a change of GST_PLUGIN_PATH.

Anyway, thanks for the upload. More codecs is never a bad thing.
Thanks, I put a new optified gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg into extras-devel

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Don't confuse me with that other guy that was talking about the lack of the modularity.

The core of the problem is, that everyone says "ololol vlc plays everything, its so good, everyone should get it since its so awsome" but in real life it is mediocre at the best. I just despise the way everyone is hyping up the software that is just fundamentally so crappy.
Sorry if you got confused. I will attest that the latest VLC has less compatibility problems with all of the various media files I use than any other media player on Windows or Linux. Its not hype for me, but testimony. I preferred Totem's interface, but just like on Windows, I always had to pull out VLC when things went awry. Now I just stick to it, and its all good.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard