Active Topics

Originally Posted by Wild_Doogy View Post
I just bought a N900, and I love it. As a Linux user with Ubuntu on my home machine, I love the terminal, and the openness of the system.

The only think that the N900 hasn't satisfied on my smartphone wishlist, (made before seeing the N900) besides multi-touch, is the GPS. I know it has one, but I cant get it to work.

I do not have any sim card or plan, as my wallet is still recovering. The N900 is working fine without it, but do I need a sim card to use the GPS?

I have left it outside where it should get good reception, and connected to a wifi network as was mentioned earlier by Torpedo48:

and all it did was say "searching."

Not too important, though it would have helped me from messing up my directions today.
(I probably would have wrecked the car, looking at it though.)

Any help, or enlightenment would be helpful.
Question: Do I need a sim card/data plan to get the GPS to work, and if not, what is required?

Wild_Doogy
Hi Wild_Doogy,
you do not need a SIM card for making the GPS working, but if you want a faster lock (from 5 to 10 secs in my case) you need an Internet connection (and the A-GPS to be activated of course).

By the way, were you using Ovi Maps for searching GPS lock? Ovi Maps can't get a lock by itself without an Internet connection, because it has a riddiculous timeout (30 secs) and loses signal if you leave it in the background or you turn off the screen.

You should use a third party app for testing your GPS until OVI Maps gets an update, for example Location Test or GPSJinny. After getting a lock with them, you can open OVI Maps and comfortably use it with the lock.

EDIT: in this thread I've given some useful links to Location Test:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=513077&postcount=9

Last edited by torpedo48; 2010-02-10 at 08:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Thanks. I have a USB Earthmate GPS and I have written a python script to make a dynamic placemark and path in google earth. (for my laptop)

My next test was going to be getting the raw data from gps0 to try and make sense of it.

So the phone also has the option of getting its position from cell towers? sweet. I feel like I am in an action movie now.

Question: Are there any good apps out there for mapping/GPS?

Question: Does the cellular type gps use data? It would seem that it would be a local protochal and that it shouldn't use your data up.

Thanks for the reply.

Wild_Doogy

Last edited by Wild_Doogy; 2010-02-11 at 22:11.

it can not use gps in anywhere
u can see the picture

n900 speeds 10 mins to found 4 star , but after 5 mins n900 not found location。
the gps ico still blink. and in menu the gps is searching....

i use google's agps server , and no sim card in n900. i use wifi.

What app are you using there, and where can you get it?

gpsjinni , i forgot maybe in test or devel

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Germany
GPSJinni is also now in extras-testing and nneds some more testers to get it into extras ;-)

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
hmm.. mine locked straight in with just Camera Geotaging enabled.

Help Required.
How to save Current GPS Position on N900

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
You're not going to get any help if you piss everyone off by spamming loads of threads with the same question. Or, indeed, starting it 'Help required'.

Try shutting up and waiting for a bit.

Originally Posted by ewan View Post
You're not going to get any help if you piss everyone off by spamming loads of threads with the same question. Or, indeed, starting it 'Help required'.

Try shutting up and waiting for a bit.
ok

m waiting

Tags
lack of quality control