Active Topics

I suggest creating appropriate MeeGo-related subforums at talk.maemo.org, then making talk.meego.com point to talk.maemo.org. To make a branding distinction, use two different default themes for people coming from maemo.org and meego.com domains.

PS: The existing t.m.o subforums will have to be reorganized, with historic stuff pushed down the main page, to make space for the new MeeGo subforums.

I have some ideas about this... but a question first...

Wouldn't this be a good thing to post as a brainstorm? We have a collection of suggestions both in the OP, and in some of the replies --- seems to me like it'd be useful to be able to directly vote on each of the suggestions.

The Following User Says Thank You to wjbaird For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by wjbaird View Post
Wouldn't this be a good thing to post as a brainstorm? We have a collection of suggestions both in the OP, and in some of the replies --- seems to me like it'd be useful to be able to directly vote on each of the suggestions.
As someone who has yet to see anything useful come out of Brainstorm. I'm going to say, "No".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Based on some kid's repetitive banning/rejoining/trolling tonight, I'd like MeeGo community signup to have a fairly high bar. Email confirmations, a few hurdles to leap, etc.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-02-20 at 04:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This isn't going to be as controversial as the ITT switchover unless you have a lowturnout election on some other site asking the people from this site whether they want to move to that site, first requiring them to join that site and go there to vote.

I would say that this site should be left more or less as it is until most of the users have voted with their feet. Then forums that are becoming deserted here should be shut down but forums that remain popular (legacy forums, off topic) should be left for those who want to use them.

It is amazing to me that I haven't seen one identifiable user from the Moblin community here. Are they really that scarce or is something else going on? It is almost spooky.

Those who want to have stricter moderation -- please be aware that some really wonderful threads have developed here, and some developers who understand how to use them aren't having big problems with whiners, etc. This is a vigorous environment. Even all the Brits complaining about their updates are our friends. Even almost all of the malcontents are interested members of the community. Don't kill that.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Those who want to have stricter moderation -- please be aware that some really wonderful threads have developed here, and some developers who understand how to use them aren't having big problems with whiners, etc. This is a vigorous environment. Even all the Brits complaining about their updates are our friends. Even almost all of the malcontents are interested members of the community. Don't kill that.
I only want very specific and extremely rare strict moderation. My issue is with a very, very tiny number of people and posts.

I do agree with allowing malcontents to have their say. I would not be comfortable in some sort of cheerleading forum at all (especially since I can be a malcontent on occasion).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Uh, where to start... Let me first express how important forums are - I absolutely hate mailing lists (even tho most of the projects I'm contributing to are handled that way) and I solemnly swear that I won't develop and contribute, heck I won't even shake a stick at anything that is handled by mailing lists ever again! Forums have much easier structure to follow, threading is much better and it doesn't depend on particular user's mail client, you can do more detailed searches, you can have far better data structure and you can easily ignore noise, and all that in a fairly easy and user friendly manner. And that's what puts forum systems ahead of any `social networking` system I have ever seen. Forums just work! Same goes for IRC, I left that type of communication in mid '90s and times of BBS, and I have no desire to go back to that...
You're my new hero.

Lurking on itT is what attracted me to Maemo in the first place. The community that developed there is what helped me through the love/hate relationship that comes with anything new. In that one paragraph you accurately describe my motivation and what I tried to express back then.
(Mailing lists will always remind me of the 1/2 inch thick, fan fold, "catch-up" print outs I would take as reading material on long plane rides in the days before laptops. )
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Fyi, I'm testing an add-on that I made that forces a user to register at meego.com first before registering on the vB forum (in sandbox) so usernames would always match. Hopefully this will make it easier for future integration.

It's working well but am open for any better solutions.
I'm thinkin' that^ would be the best preventative medicine as well. I can't think of better way to start. Things like >> this << would be easier to implement too.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Things like >> this << would be easier to implement too.
No doubt there will be folks registering multiple accounts at meego.com as time goes by. That add-on might help report them. I hope it makes its way to vB 4.0.

Anyway, that looks like a great add-on here at TMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Forums have much easier structure to follow,
Sure, it is sooo convenient to have to hunt down one hundreds forums in 10 thousands threads to find something interesting, instead of having messages coming to you, neatly filed in their own folder, sorted as you like, with unread messages clearly marked and where you can skip a whole thread with the press of a button.

threading is much better and it doesn't depend on particular user's mail client
And we all know that all kinds of forums have the same interface, so it's easier to adapt, while the same email program you use will change every day surprising you

BTW, the only email programs that royally screws up threading (as well as anything else) are those from microshaft, so there are plenty of alternatives.
Even so, mostly only users that decide to use those inferior options are affected, while all the users of a forum are affected by a change/cock-up in the forum's software and/or configuration.

you can do more detailed searches, you can have far better data structure and you can easily ignore noise, and all that in a fairly easy and user friendly manner.
Sure, we all know that searching in a forum is sooo effective that you never see the same question repeated over and over

OTOH my mail program only allows me to sort the messages by thread, date, sender, subject and search based on any of them as well as on the content. Clearly inferior

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Another random thought: there are ceops procedures and protocols for sites that allow input from minors. I don't suppose it's been an issue before but I noticed in the 'How old are you?' thread in Off Topic that we do have minors here. Since we're setting up something new, it would probably be worth checking we're compliant (I don't think MeeGo.com is at present). If this technology turns out to be as wizzy as promised, we may have more teens turn up. (Like it or not) Might as well cover our backs.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego