Active Topics

Notices

HI,

I uninstalled 1.4.1. Installed the previous version 1.4. I was now able to load maemo mapper. Then I uninstalled 1.1 and installed 1.4.1. 1.4.1 nows loads ok.

Joe O

It sounds like a lot of people are having trouble running Maemo Mapper after a fresh install of Maemo Mapper (with no previous version installed)?

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem. Until then, I apologize for the inconvenience. :/

feature request:

Can we mark each repository active or inactive so that the cycle-between repositories button silently ignores the inactive ones? They would still be selectable and usable from the maps menu item, just not from the cycle button.

I only have a 1 gig card and I have a couple >300 meg repositories that I swap in and out, so I'd like to be able to keep the repository info in mapper but not the data on the card. When the data's not there, I don't want the cycle-repositories button to bother looking for the data or (possibly) auto-downloading anything.

Maemo Mapper v1.4.2 was released with updated Finnish translations and a fix for the segfault that occurred on the very first invokation of Maemo Mapper.

Download and Install Maemo Mapper v1.4.2

P.S. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. I had to re-flash my N800 just to reproduce it!

Last edited by gnuite; 2007-03-03 at 22:41.

Hi there !

first thanks Gnuite for your great work with MaemoMapper !
i use it a lot of time. especially last week when i was touring in France.
it was so usefull to find some ways, some places, so easily...

here are some comments after using it (version is 1.4)

i will find more usable to have the GPS menu on the to of the menu.
why ? to simply switch the gps on/off with the keys (without having
a lot of press to do...)
all other menus are configurations menus. so enabling and disabling
gps is more important for me...

i just find that mapper some times take a long to start...
i wonder if it is because i don't have the sql 3.0 installed....

now some though :
is it usable to have horizon (like in plane) with mapper,
that can work like the north indication.... this is heading, but
perhaps usable for some people... when you drive, or flight...

is it possible to have some different colors for the speed
indication... for speed like when driving in cities, smal road, and
interstates....having differents colors will help knowing the speed
limits...
perhaps, having a small bip when whe are at upper speed
that the speed limit....

a simple question :
mapper and gps are surely precise...
they give position at 1 meter i think.
if the altitude so precise ?
and he speed indication ? is it also precise ?

another question :
because i have booth 770 and 800, i wonder if it is
possible to have the two tablets connected to one gps
receiver ?

i have get some problems :
when using mapper, with gps, (n800) by two times i was
low battery, then i managed simply connect the power cable to
my n800. mapper stops refreshing the maps, but displayed time
continues changing. buttons was not responding....

the first time i have locked screen/and buttons.

the second time i have done nothing special.

another problem, i was not moving, i was in full screen mode.
so, after idle, the n800 screen goes black. and after that,
it was not possible to turn it on again.
(still connected to gps)

third problem, i was thinking that i have downloaded a lot for maps for 7 to 0 level... but when i was zooming in the areas, sometimes a don't have access
to all level and get some big pixels...

fourth problem, when downloading areas, i must tap the screen or push
some button to do the screen not going idle. because of that, it
stops downloading :/ perhaps this is an explanation of the third problem;

without that, everything was great !

About GPS altitude: This is an output from the GPS receiver. In consumer-grade GPS units this is never very accurate. This isn't because the GPS calculates altitude (the vertical plane) inaccurately (although it's not as good as in the horizontal plane), it's because the globe is not a perfect sphere - far from it. So, in order to get an accurate altitude you need an accurate globe model, and consumer grade GPS units simply don't have that. What you _could_ do, and some GPS programs do this, is to have a look-up table for your local area/areas with correction factors. For example, where I live the error is around 43 meters or so, a few hundred km south it's more like 35.

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Maemo Mapper v1.4.2 was released with updated Finnish translations and a fix for the segfault that occurred on the very first invokation of Maemo Mapper.
Thanks for the quick fix! Now to puzzle out how to use Maemo Mapper. I don't have a GPS receiver, but I'd like to use Maemo Mapper as an alternative to folding street maps if I get lost. I imagine I can do this by downloading Google Maps?

Originally Posted by Drel View Post
Thanks for the quick fix! Now to puzzle out how to use Maemo Mapper. I don't have a GPS receiver, but I'd like to use Maemo Mapper as an alternative to folding street maps if I get lost. I imagine I can do this by downloading Google Maps?
You can use Maemo Mapper's map downloading functionality to download maps from a repository (like Google Maps, although there may be end-user license restrictions on this) onto a memory card. Otherwise, Maemo Mapper can download maps as needed (using "Auto-Download"). Both require an internet connection, of course, but the former allows you to download maps "in advance" and view them without an internet connection. (The latter still saves the maps to disk for later access offline, but you need to be online for the initial download.)

Could someone help me in downloading maps to Maemo Mapper. Which kind of URL would be working in Finland? I've used someones found from internet but just getting black screen. BTW I'm using 770.

Last edited by mikevi; 2007-03-06 at 09:44.

Originally Posted by mikevi View Post
Could someone help me in downloading maps to Maemo Mapper. Which kind of URL would be working in Finland? I've used someones found from internet but just getting black screen. BTW I'm using 770.
Try the "Download..." button in the "Manage Repositories" dialog. This will download a set of repositories that you can use. I believe Google Maps has good coverage in finland.