Notices

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=94 (first on the list of replies)

Forgot to say that you should change the WEP (if using) key first, I hope you're not using that anywhere else.

The backend starts fine as far as the program itself is concerned (exit code 0), what is the problem ?

1. Can you connect to the Ad-Hoc network at all, what happens if you disable WEP ?
2. Do you get IP-address automatically ? If you do can you ping the N900 (10.176.159.1 in your case)
3. If you do not get IP automatically can you set one manually and then ping the N900 (10.176.159.1 is N900 ip, use it as gateway, use 10.176.159.5 as your manual IP [obviously the netmask is /24 or 255.255.255.0])

I have sometimes seen it happen (with my Mac laptop) that things seem to go fine but I simply cannot ping the N900 no matter what I do. I have no idea so far as to why this would happen.
Ok, I got it to work on a windows 7 notebook without WEP. With WEP it would connect, but it couldn't resolve the internet connection. It looks like it still has the auto-assigned IP address (169.254.*). Could this be a mismatch with WEP key using hex characters, but ascii characters on the other? My WEP key is all hex characters.

Testing to continue...

EDIT: ok, I got WEP to work. I first changed my key to have non-hex characters ("dog"), but it filled it to be "dog00". So I tried "doggy", and it worked fine. It seems that there is an issue if you use hex-only characters, perhaps.

Last edited by twoboxen; 2010-04-19 at 18:30.

@Rambo - naaahhh the key was a random thing added messing around with this. I changed it anyways just incase.

Yeah I can see the ad-hoc network and also the laptop does snag ip addresses and get full connection but cannot get on the Internet. Also I disabled the WEP altogether and again it grabs an ip but no Internet.

Last edited by lstrike21; 2010-04-19 at 19:01.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lstrike21 View Post
@Rambo - naaahhh the key was a random thing added messing around with this. I changed it anyways just incase.

Yeah I can see the ad-hoc network and also the laptop does snag ip addresses and get full connection but cannot get on the Internet. Also I disabled the WEP altogether and again it grabs an ip but no Internet.
try pinging a domain-name (eg. www.google.com) and an IP (eg. 8.8.8.8) from the n900 and from your laptop. which of the four pings succeeds?

The 2 from the n900 pinged with no problemo. The ones from the laptop failed.

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
I find it interesting that you have extras-devel enabled on your device as routine (I enable it on mine only when I wish to test something from there and disable it afterwards, extras-testing I keep enabled all the time...). Of course some people do, nothing wrong with that since you're ready to reflash whenever needed.

Joiku might not work with the custom kernel but I see no reason why it would conflict by just being installed on the system.
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, its probably not a good idea. I go back and forth. Maybe I should be more conserative.

From what I can tell Joikuspot doesn't work with the new kernel. At least, it didn't work for me. Thanks again.

I had the same problem and ended up re-flashing. I couldn't even ping the phone, much less pass traffic through it.

Does anyone know how to snoop an interface? Is tcpdump the equivalent in Lunix land? If we can see packets coming in the wifi interface then at least we could know if its NAT issue or something like that, vs. connectivity.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
ok… but you CAN ping your n900 from the laptop? That would be strange…
How are you sure your laptop gets a correct IP? What is the IP it gets, and what are gateway and subnetmask?

Last edited by hcm; 2010-04-19 at 19:51. Reason: clarification

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, its probably not a good idea. I go back and forth. Maybe I should be more conserative.
From what I can tell Joikuspot doesn't work with the new kernel. At least, it didn't work for me. Thanks again.
are you sure it doesn't work with the kernel-power kernel?
in more recent versions I have build the kernel module for it.
if necessary, "modprobe JoikuSpot_Bouncer" as root should load it.

Originally Posted by titan View Post
are you sure it doesn't work with the kernel-power kernel?
in more recent versions I have build the kernel module for it.
if necessary, "modprobe JoikuSpot_Bouncer" as root should load it.
I don't know the specific issues. When I uninstalled mobile hotspot it didn't uninstall the kernel and I didn't realize that. When I had backed up myphone pre-flash it had the kernel in it so when after I flashed everything and did a restore Joikuspot and still didn't work. I tried the command to re-load the old kernel and then everything went downhill. No idea why. Phone so unbearably slow it was unusable.

I re-flashed again with everything the same except I didn't restore the custom kernel and now it works fine with Joiku. There may have been other dependencies but that was what fixed it for me.

Ok sorry about the delay was headed home from work and thank you all thus far.

@ hcm: Yes I can ping the n900 from my laptop. Windows 7 shows IPv4 and IPv6 no internet access and no network access. It also shows the speed connected to the mobile hotspot on the n900 as 11mbps.

I assume (i know I know) that it is correct as it is in the range that the n900 is issuing when I watch how the backend loads. The ip is 10.176.159.12 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

It is obtaining an ip address from the n900 still and shows the gateway, dns and dhcp server as the n900. I have tried this from 2 laptops with the same result one running windows xp and my m11x running windows 7.

Last edited by lstrike21; 2010-04-19 at 22:31.