Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Feature request:

It could be very useful if the 'Apply Blacklist' feature could be invoked via command line. This way, it would be easy to add a custom event to 'Alarmed' and apply everyday the blacklist filter.

I'd like to see this kind of feature as there are some abbreviations, and passwords that are almost daily appearing in my dictionary and I have to enter to AutoComplete Editor and apply manually the Blacklist.

Thank you and regards.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I didn´t noticed that you had released a new version today. Once updated I can finally see the popup and the spinner stops.

Great work!

I think some earlier version of AutoComp Edit truncated my dictionary. Now when I try to start AutoComp I get the following message:

"
Dictionary load error
Error reading dictionary
Dictionary truncated for Suomi (Suomi)
"

So now my Finnish (Suomi) dictionary is somehow broken. Does someone have an idea how to fix this? Is there some file for dictionaries? If so, where are they located and could somebody post the original file?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
The error indicates that it's found an inconsistency between the indicated overall size of the dictionary data, and the combined size of the individual entries. Does auto-complete still work? If so, it may be that the data isn't structured as I'm expecting (in which case, please could you send me a copy to maemo at robinhill.me.uk), otherwise it's probably a corrupted file (in which case, hitting "Save" in Auto-Complete Editor will write out a new file that it thinks is consistent).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your help! I thought it wasn't working because after starting the app it gave the meantioned error and had "done" button. After pressing "done" the app started but the screen view had no words in it. This time I tried scrolling down and noticed there were several empty rows in the beginning. Saving the dictionary solved the error problem as you said. Scandinavian letters shows funny though. They work elsewhere in maemo with autocomplete, so it's just in Autocomp Edit. And I guess it could be solved from settings by selecting the right character encoding. But how do I know which one? It's the default that's selected now. Now scandinavian letters like Ä shows up like À and Ö like ö (if they show to you as I mean.) =)

Sorry but I don't understand, you asked me to send you a copy, but a copy of what? And do you still need one? =)

Thanks for your help anyways! =)

EDIT:
Correction. I just found some words showing scandinavian letters just fine. So the question is... why most of the words have the letters incorrectly? And apparently these ones show up wrong everywhere in maemo.

Last edited by Nozu; 2010-07-12 at 19:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nozu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nozu View Post
Thanks for your help! I thought it wasn't working because after starting the app it gave the meantioned error and had "done" button. After pressing "done" the app started but the screen view had no words in it. This time I tried scrolling down and noticed there were several empty rows in the beginning.
Those must be the extra entries that took it past the expected size. You'd best delete those, otherwise they could cause issues elsewehere.

Saving the dictionary solved the error problem as you said. Scandinavian letters shows funny though. They work elsewhere in maemo with autocomplete, so it's just in Autocomp Edit. And I guess it could be solved from settings by selecting the right character encoding. But how do I know which one? It's the default that's selected now. Now scandinavian letters like Ä shows up like À and Ö like ö (if they show to you as I mean.) =)
They show up as two characters? That's very odd - it suggests perhaps UTF-8 would be appropriate, though you could also try CP1252. Anyway, there's no danger is changing the encoding, so just go through all of them and see whether any of them work.

Sorry but I don't understand, you asked me to send you a copy, but a copy of what? And do you still need one? =)
No, now you've saved a fixed copy, it'll have overwritten the old one. The dictionary file itself is at /home/user/.osso/dictionaries/.personal.dictionary

Correction. I just found some words showing scandinavian letters just fine. So the question is... why most of the words have the letters incorrectly? And apparently these ones show up wrong everywhere in maemo.
You're probably best deleting those then - they must have been saved with an incorrect encoding. Can you try re-adding them (just type them into Notes or something, just so they get added to the custom dictionary) and see whether they still show up incorrectly?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post

They show up as two characters? That's very odd - it suggests perhaps UTF-8 would be appropriate, though you could also try CP1252. Anyway, there's no danger is changing the encoding, so just go through all of them and see whether any of them work.

You're probably best deleting those then - they must have been saved with an incorrect encoding. Can you try re-adding them (just type them into Notes or something, just so they get added to the custom dictionary) and see whether they still show up incorrectly?
Didn't work with any of the encodings. I just ended up deleting the faulty ones. It adds everything ok when I retype the words in leafpad for example. Is there any way to reset the dictionary to factory default? Any other way than flashing the whole device I mean...

The Following User Says Thank You to Nozu For This Useful Post:
Didn't work with any of the encodings. I just ended up deleting the faulty ones. It adds everything ok when I retype the words in leafpad for example. Is there any way to reset the dictionary to factory default? Any other way than flashing the whole device I mean...
If newly added entries show okay, it must have been a problem with an older version of ACE, so it sounds as though the current version is using the correct (or at least a compatible) encoding.

The factory default is an empty dictionary (it only holds your custom entries - the global dictionary is never edited), so just hit the "Delete all" button in Auto-Complete Editor.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Awesome app Rob1n, I went through and deleted a plethora of mis-pelt words bought about by sausage fingers hitting too many keys at once and deperately trying to keep up with conversations etc. Nice one, good call - thanks for the app

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Rob1n, have you thought about posting a licensing request on bugs.maemo.org asking them to open-source whatever component it is that handles the autocomplete dictionaries? I don't know how likely they will do that, but it's gotta be better than trying to reverse engineer things.

If they won't open-source the code, maybe they could at least document the file format. Or maybe there's an undocumented API for manipulating it that they could tell you about.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: