Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Having the N900 is like having a relationship, it has its ups and downs

First you love it for it is love at first sight. You were probably very exited with your purchase and liked fiddeling with it on a end-user level.

When you were getting used to it you start being logical, and question the N900 for what it lacks (MMS, portrait, swappiness, video calling pre 1.2) Yet you decide you will be happy with it for a while yet to come, and realize it's potential.

Then you learn about it's special features, and you help it improve to do just what you were wishing before. You are making the most potential out of it. But by trying too hard, you will be set back with a reflash or two. You realize it did'nt get the love it deserves from the EX (Nokia) But you decide you don't need Nokia to love your N900.

By this time Nokia has little interest in your N900, but you like your N900 in a way you have never liked a phone before, (sans dirty thoughts) for you keep using it daily and make it do things you never even expedted it to do when you bought it.

Looking at the future perspective it's OK. It will most likely be replaced some time for you will outlive it, but looking at community maemo5 updates, the nitdroid possibilities, MeeGo (not official? too bad but the same anyways) it has some good time yet to come.

But after all nothing is perfect, and I woulden't trade it for one other phone on the market today. Sure it can make you whine once in a while, what lovable thing does not

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Anyone else due an upgrade in April and don't know 'wtf' to do?

The Following User Says Thank You to nathaneous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Judgmental much? And you misspelled categorized. Bu yong xie.

Because the iPhone is still officially supported?

Just because you're not the target audience for an iPhone doesn't mean that others aren't either.
then the shouldnt bougt n900 from start and btw. you are wrong when saying its not supported cause it is. Infact we have latest qt wish is still pending on n8 who has older qt..

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
i am very interested in the rumored n9... ill wait for it, and if its any good, ill buy it

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
I will keep my N900 for another 2-3 years I think.
After ... too early to say, cellphone market evolve so fast...

The Following User Says Thank You to Megaltariak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
i think my N900 is the best device currently on the market (due to its linux). If there will be an N9 also with linux and better hardware (battery is a big point) i might change in the next years but never ever will i go to an iPod or something similar. Thats a joke in my eyes. Of course, we are talking about mobile´s in some way, but for me, my N900 is an important piece and it has functions that no other mobile has ! If my N900 would break now, i would buy a new N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to tebsu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I will keep my N900 at least another year. After that I will buy whatever has similar features on more powerful hardware. IPhone or Android are no options for me. Symbian was my OS of choice before Maemo but I can't imagine going back to it now.

Must Haves for my next phone:
Linux/Unix based Open OS
Hardware Keyboard <- This is non negotiable
Browser like microB or better with up2date Flash
Integrated Skype and IM clients.
Ability to develop small tools on-device (Python or better C)
Stylus support
No bigger than 3,7" form factor (absolute max. = 4")
at least 32GB on device plus microSD slot

Nice to have would be
720p or better videocam
1GB Mobile DDR plus swap
Dual core
Draft N Wlan

Last but not least the build quality must be on par with Nokia or better. Metal casing would be nice. Flimsy trash like Samsung Galaxy S i9000 is out of the question.

The Following User Says Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
So said all the Zaurus users with their open (wide open with open Zaurus) Devices. Now try finding the Zaurus community and one live user who uses it still.

Don't get married to your device man. Life continues and so does the progression of devices to make life easier and older unsupported devices become - old and useless. Just embrace the change.

And hoping that Nokia too continues with the change with N9 and supports it (unlike the N900).
Haha I never said I would use the N900 forever. The N900 will be semi-retired once I find a dual core Android smartphone I am comfortable with (e.g. HTC.. dunno what LG's record is with bootloaders and updates. Not Motorola or Samsung).

But the N900 will get some use out of it simply because it's a Linux device that I can probably re-purpose. Especially since it has an FM transmitter built in. Or maybe turn it into a PirateBox if possible.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, cool then. But yeah, I still believe hacking your phone that way is, like you suggest, very much like installing untested stuff from extras-devel on it. I just don't trust the level of quality control for software that is, in essence, illegal...
Actually apple lost that battle.
It was deemed that warranty could not be invalidated by jailbreaking the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
Actually apple lost that battle.
It was deemed that warranty could not be invalidated by jailbreaking the phone.
Ah! So, this means Apple now has to officially support jailbroken phones? Great! So, I guess we'll be seeing things like the opening up of the app store, or iPhones officially supported on all the US cellular service providers, or even official support for alternate OSs on the iPhone?

To be honest, yeah, I heard about that ruling. But I don't see it changing Apple's policies in the slightest. Apple's entire business model is built around total control over the iPod/iPhone/iPad, and if they were ever forced to actually open up the devices, I'm sure they'd drop the entire line like a hot rock. Steve Jobs turned around Apple mainly by focussing on high-margin products and dropping everything else; and keeping iOS locked is one way to keep those margins high.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
die android die, nokia blows