Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Personally, in my travels on the internetz I've been regularly referring people to TMO*, since I've seen lots more folks asking Jolla/Sailfish-related questions.

*I rarely see major tech sites doing that
Whats wrong with jollausers forum?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
KDE are working on a product (Vivaldi tablet): http://rhombus-tech.net/community_id...e_tablet/news/
And they just launched the Improv development board: https://makeplaylive.com (see also https://makeplaylive.com/#/who-we-are/our-commitments ).
The tablet doesn't move fast for them, but not because they have open development or their code is open. It's just a lot of work. Openness doesn't hinder their progress.
LOL! You cant seriously compare Vivaldi project with Jolla!?

Not even the KDE team would do that. Vivaldi is a hobbyproject not a commercial project.

And as you may now already Vivaldi project had huge problem with find a company that did have fully open gfxdrivers and when they found one, that company changed SoC and they had to restart again.

And btw the SoC used in those projects is mediocre often undocumented and may very well disappear before users has got a chance buy those products.

However I do like the ideas with what KDE do, but first of KDE should choose some safe SoC like TI OMAP (used in Beagleboard) instead of some unnamed crap SoC because even if OMAP has closed driver its probadly better than undocumented copycats SoC:s.

But again this is not valid what Jolla is doing...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-12-05 at 22:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
While previous post is a tad off, it still has a point.
We (community) don't expect that any of Jolla staff does official announcements or premature disclosure of specs or anything in here.
But:
Let me point you to a new rumour that came up: ST-Micro and Ericsson divorced and thus the NovaThor future is in the dark. OTOH there are other nice SoC like OMAP5 and Snapdragon. Today I want to discuss what is my personal take on each one of them regarding their strong points and shortcomings... et cetera pp add facts and gossip as see fit
Valid contribution of a Jolla employee (maybe from the HW-development department) - yet to be seen - that doesn't say anything about Jolla but still gives community a warm feeling of participation and an idea of what's maybe happening inside Jolla. I know not many developers/engineers like to do this kind of gossip.

The rest is not about talking but mainly about listening and an occasional "we hear you".
Example:
User: please make sure the USB port isn't as weak as on some other devices we all know
Answer from Jolla associate: I'm sure the relevant gals and guys inside Jolla are already aware of the problem
Seems the latter slowly getting better recently. Previous failure to do anything like that is percieved as elitist and closed mindset.

Ps: sorry when all my examples are pretty hw-centric - I wonder how that might've happened ;D Anyway it has its benefits since it's a genuine Jolla theme
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-05 at 22:35.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
LOL! You cant seriously compare Vivaldi project with Jolla!?

Not even the KDE team would do that. Vivaldi is a hobbyproject not a commercial project.

And as you may now already Vivaldi project had huge problem with find a company that did have fully open gfxdrivers and when they found one, that company changed SoC and they had to restart again.

And btw the SoC used in those projects is mediocre often undocumented and may very well disappear before users has got a chance buy those products.

However I do like the ideas with what KDE do, but first of KDE should choose some safe SoC like TI OMAP (used in Beagleboard) instead of some unnamed crap SoC because even if OMAP has closed driver its probadly better than undocumented copycats SoC:s.

But again this is not valid what Jolla is doing...
I'm not sure what does the above have to do with the openness of code and development? We weren't talking about open drivers yet. Vivaldi isn't using open drivers either. They are using the same closed Android blobs and libhybris. We were mostly talking about open code of the OS (above hardware adaptation) and open development. Open hardware adaptation is a separate topic.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-05 at 22:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
actually we were talking
>>About Sailfish community<<
and trying to make clear if we're talking about a developer base that Jolla seems to lack and search to "build" while it's already existing in this forum and ready to jump in, or if such "community" is the customer base of Jolla that needs a first level helpdesk (stskeeps' blog post referenced in #1 post of this thread seems to suggest the former)
In my book this thread is NOT meant for discussing implementation details that might be highly intriguing and relevant to a developer community but somehow OT to the topic of this thread.

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-06 at 00:53.

joerg_rw: That's an intertwined subject. I.e. about the interaction of Sailfish community with Sailfish and Jolla. Building it up is important, but it starts with the basics. What are assumptions and expectations, what is the manner of that interaction and so on. Openness of the code, open bugtracker, roadmaps and open development is a common expectation for a project which builds an open source community.

Now, if Jolla doesn't want to mislead anyone, it's better to clarify how this is going to work really in the short or long term. In order to avoid false expectations and so on. Like Fawz said:

Originally Posted by Fawz View Post
I appreciate stezz reaching out here, but imo there's been a misconception about what people here expected or would like from Jolla...
There also seems to have developed a miscommunication that you would invest heavily in community interaction and open source development
Misconceptions can stem from comparison. As I said above, there are projects which are really open. So if Jolla expects Sailfish to be different as Stezz said:
Originally Posted by stezz View Post
We are talking about stories and companies which are a bit different than Jolla.
it's good to clarify what exactly is different, in order to set the expectations properly.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-06 at 01:13.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Man, I so want to continue reading & participating in this thread, alas no time, I hope it works out for the best.
Still believe a clean break from maemo.org is the best way to go, BUT with "exceptions" that I already outlined.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Whats wrong with jollausers forum?
It's not a patch on maemo.org....
Still, for 1st timers it may be a good nursery_ground/staring_point...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-12-06 at 03:49.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Man, I so want to continue reading & participating in this thread, alas no time, I hope it works out for the best.
Still believe a clean break from maemo.org is the best way to go, BUT with "exceptions" that I already outlined.

It's not a patch on maemo.org....
Still, for 1st timers it may be a good nursery_ground/staring_point...
Honestly, "a clean break from maemo"? What do you suggest? That we commit suicide here? Or what else is your problem with choosing that clear break option for yourself at any other forum of your choice? Ahh right, they are all just "nurrsery_ground" and thus not what you expect from them... well then you either have to go for them anyway, or you opt for tmo, since one thing is for sure, wherever you go, tmo at large won't follow you to get that clear break from itself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say, your writing style is often unclear to me.
I just refer you back to my original post (& subsequent ones) for better clarity.
It was far from exhaustive, I know, but it's all I got, for now...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-12-06 at 04:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Honestly, "a clean break from maemo"? What do you suggest? That we commit suicide here? Or what else is your problem with choosing that clear break option for yourself at any other forum of your choice? Ahh right, they are all just "nurrsery_ground" and thus not what you expect from them... well then you either have to go for them anyway, or you opt for tmo, since one thing is for sure, wherever you go, tmo at large won't follow you to get that clear break from itself.
i choked witha a laugh while having food