Active Topics

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I added a request for official support to TJC, please vote: https://together.jolla.com/question/...north-america/

There is also a request to support frequencies at least: https://together.jolla.com/question/...g-frequencies/
I don't think there's any point in doing this until they have the capability to both make a device that works for the american market AND market it in some way. It would have been nice to at least support 850/1900 3G, at least for the enthusiasts (who would be the only ones buying this device here anyway.)

Unfortunately leaving us out for this initial launch was the right move, it's still relatively unknown online and has a chance at better first impressions if Jolla survives long enough to make their device and software better.

There is always a point to demonstrate demand, so vote if you care. They easily can have the capabilities (they can just use the proper modem in the next batch). I don't think hardware is an issue for them, but legal threats are.

Not sure whether it was right or wrong, but it's not based on any demand, but rather on risks. I'd expect the level of demand in US to be not lower than in Europe. The device now is used mostly by enthusiasts anyway and general public has no clue about Jolla, whether in Europe or elsewhere, and Jolla are OK with that, while it fits their production capacity. When Jolla will decide to change that, they'll pour more resources in marketing.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-01-02 at 20:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
I agree. Making some noise about USA support will help them steer their efforts. We should remember that even though N9 was not officially sold in USA, its included HSPA on 850/1700/1900 in its pentaband setup, which helped it sell a huge numbers of units in USA, even if unofficially.

EDIT: Put my vote together.jolla.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Sorry if I missed it. Will Jolla phone work on T-Mobile in US for phone calls. Perhaps one option would be to use sim card for phone calls only and get data seperately via mobile wifi unit. Seems like a pain but folks often carry a tablet with them that uses the mobile wifi. Some wifi is not too expensive. Also would sms work via this route? Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Sorry if I missed it. Will Jolla phone work on T-Mobile in US for phone calls. Perhaps one option would be to use sim card for phone calls only and get data seperately via mobile wifi unit. Seems like a pain but folks often carry a tablet with them that uses the mobile wifi. Some wifi is not too expensive. Also would sms work via this route? Thanks!
Yes. Quad-band GSM + EDGE. Remember the original iPhone? Welcome to 2007!

(posting this with Opera browser on Elisa's 2G, world's first GSM network by the way, launched in July 1991)

The Following User Says Thank You to hana For This Useful Post:
Hi Guys,

Its been awhile since I've been on here. Been thinking about buying a Jolla device off of EBay until I read about connection issues here in the USA. I'm on ATT and have spoiled with LTE on my 1020. So if I'm understanding this correctly on ATT I'd only get 2g edge speeds? If so I'm very bummed as I was looking forward to a N9 replacement. Is this LTE software upgrade true and would that help ATT US users?

Thanks!

Sean

Originally Posted by zoovision View Post
Is this LTE software upgrade true and would that help ATT US users?
it has been speculated that the LTE frequencies for the jolla are 800/1800/2600
the at&t US LTE frequencies are 700/1700/1900/2300

afaik, no, unless the speculation is wrong {which it easily could be}, or they plan on swapping out the modem for US versions
note that no other carrier in US uses those bands for LTE. {not that its relevant, but i think sprint uses 800MHZ}

Originally Posted by zoovision View Post
If so I'm very bummed as I was looking forward to a N9 replacement.
note that the Neo900 WILL in fact have 4G LTE in the US and will, in many ways, be better than a jolla. {though neo900 is worse in other ways, e.g.: single core, more expensive}

the Neo900 is my current N9 replacement plan, partly because of LTE in the US.

I see that the LTE frequency for MetroPCS in the US is 1900mhz, could that possibly work for the Jolla?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi