Active Topics

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by luca View Post
In Nokia Currency Conversion those are the same amount
Too bad the world buys in Apples then =(

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
incredible that people wish they had itunes integration, when for most others itunes is the one single reason not to buy apple products...

I hate itunes

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zfarooq For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
incredible that people wish they had itunes integration, when for most others itunes is the one single reason not to buy apple products...
Then supply something that's better adopted.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Personally, I don't have iTunes installed and don't own an iPod. Gerbick has a Zune.

But I think I read that 3/4 of "mp3 players" sold in the US are iPods. (I know, iPods aren't even really mp3 players.) So your "most others" is only a subset of those who don't buy iPods; but most people apparently do buy iPods, and use iTunes.

And iTunes really is like an operating system, which is probably why your "most people" (of which I'm one, by the way; though I have other reasons, as well) avoid it. But because it's designed how it is, you can't readily get files out of it once you've collected them that way. (At least that's my limited experience with it. I found third-party software that would help me get out music files, but I wanted to get an ebook file and I couldn't even find software -- freeware or payware -- that claimed it could do that.)

So if a non-Apple company is going to wean iPod owners away from their iPods, they're going to have to offer a way for them to get their files out of the iTunes jail in which they reside. Palm found one way, subverting iTunes to Palm's own purposes, and Gerbick and I think that's cool.

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-06-05 at 07:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
if nokia is going to pitch this to the consumer, I'm think they are going with their own "free music download service" - afaik that's what they bundle with the 5800.

Same applies to Kindle.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then supply something that's better adopted.
A BitTorrent client maybe?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fms View Post
A BitTorrent client maybe?
Already exists.

A bittorrent client can't organize, check for duplicates, nor arrange my music into playlists.

Mind you, the main reason I even have iTunes on my list... my music is sorted by iTunes, I access that music - since it's DRM free now - via my Zune Software, and sync to either my Zune (for LONG trips) or to my iPhone (for workouts).

I've had other players in the past, so I'm not against copy/paste. Nor am I against sorting my own files. But as it stands, I know the average Joe Sixpack will not fix their ID3 tags, nor keep a consistent naming scheme and weed out duplicates on their own.

And besides... bittorrent over 3G... it'll take days to get anything that way.

No thanks.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
A bittorrent client can't organize, check for duplicates, nor arrange my music into playlists.
I can do it myself, thank you.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile