Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
New article about Jolla in finnish http://www.tekniikkatalous.fi/ict/jo...lkalla/a833455

Somewhat slightly interesting new stuff:

-Jolla organisation has no fixed structure. They arrange new team structures every month on the basis of what needs to be done. Everyone working for Jolla has the same basic salary + plus bonuses according to how well the teams have operated. Says that this system has worked very well so far.

-Mentions Valve as an example of corporation that Jolla has taken inspiration from for management style.

-They have started hiring marketing people. Could mean something about release getting close, on the other hand maybe it doesn't.

-Price point for Jolla phone is going to be such that everyone who wants one will be able to get one. Possibly marketing BS, but my guess has been that it will be mid-price device all along anyway.

-Funding situation good. Have funding for mafacturing the first product. IIRC before they were saying only about having money for finishing the development and design of the first product.
There is also mentioned how they hire people: they don't look at CV of a person they consider hiring but instead look at the quality of code the person produces. It is said that they look at Mer community and its contributors and their code.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Say.. wasn't there a site out there called InternetTabletTalk.com for general stuff like that once? You know.. before Nokia essentially turned it into a narrowly focused site for Maemo alone? Just saying.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
There is also mentioned how they hire people: they don't look at CV of a person they consider hiring but instead look at the quality of code the person produces. It is said that they look at Mer community and its contributors and their code.
Well, hope that is not true. Otherwise the product will be ****ed. CV is one thing, code is one thing, You dont need a great coder if he is plane stupid when it comes this and that. Sure CV means nothing and code means nothing. But toghter, its powerfull. Or they might communitcate their buissnis plan in code

Joke company. where is the phone?

Anyone know if the hire people on a regular contract or if it's on time of material or per project?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-08-31 at 13:19.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I already made a similar proposal for such changes along with classification of applications in this thread.

However, I didn't receive many feedback and nothing has yet been implemented.
i prefer to se a new fresh site without all trolls from TMO and alsi a mobile optimized forum. Seriously TMO is crap and to much offtopic stuff for those intrested in development. Almost very new thread created is hijacked by trolls anyway. So restart FRESH to make DEVELOPERS and endusers take back fresh dorums from TMO trolls!

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
It would be good if we could reuse some of the maemo.org infrastructure, and finally extend it:
Not just "accept" other projects, but actually make it so that the NIT are only a part of it, at the same level as other mer derivative projects, or even other mainline linux based handheld projects.
The forum sections would need a complete restructuration.
The name would need to change, as it would be too exclusive to keep maemo or Hildon in it (even if it can be managed by the hildon fundation).
InternetTabletTalk (as dan suggests) could do, but it's a bit too forum focused..

I also don't think that Hildon name is relevant anymore (as well as Maemo). They are already historic and don't really apply to the new developments (such as Mer for example).

Starting a fresh site is good, unless TMO can be thoroughly cleaned up and restructured, plus better moderated to stop pollution of threads with offtopics and trolling.

Focus on hadnsets or tablets in the name is probably not good, something like Open Devices would sound better. Or if you think it should be more about the software side, may be Open Mobile or something?

I'm still a bit sceptical whether jolla will be able to deliver a feature rich and bug free platform with its limited manpower. The N9 was kind of a mixed bag in that regard.

Certainly hope so

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
QT5 beta release
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_5.0
^I see some wayland there

Linux is the sheeeeeat bay bee. I seen estimates on the web that it would take billions to re-engineer linux from the ground up.

Off topic:
I've decided to learn how to navigate/use linux after quitting learning unix for a brief period back in the late 90's (and perl), I'm picking back up where I left off.
I'm currrently running Debian on a 3.2ghz 6 core 64 bit customized ibuypower desktop pc having fun with WINE and Winetricks installing windows applications on debian lol. Makes me want to get a galaxy note 2 and install ubuntu on it and then wine and have a little pc I can use to create CNC tool paths.

I'm at the last 20% of my machinist class training but I decided to take a few weeks to learn Mastercam (which is a windows program) so now that I have Wine hopefully I can install Mastercam home learning edition from eapprentice.net and design parts at home after school.
I wanted to back engineer the cheapo yellow plastic cover/case I have for my N9 by measuring it and then redesign it in Mastercam to add a U shaped kickstand and then machine it out of aluminum just to see if I can do it as a class project. I was thinking of engraving QT at 20 thousands of an inch on the back with the camera hole in the center of the Q. I'll start a separate thread when I have the first attempt at reproducing the shape of the case in Mastercam.

Last edited by aironeous; 2012-09-01 at 01:25.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
is there any Infos about the OS... or any Screenshots?
i only read (in german news), that Jolla want to release the Smartphone with the "new" UI this wall. And a another news write, that it will support Tizen and Android Applications? is it true?

any infos about the hardware?

my n9 is the third time broken, now i get my money back from amazon, because there cant send me a new one
Now i have to buy a Smartphone from this time up to release from Jollamobile.

i hope jollamobile will release many more news on 8.9.12 this year on the hackday in finnland.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla