Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fms View Post
I can do it myself, thank you.
Nice selective quote... especially the part that states that I can too... and have. You're not the average consumer. Neither am I.

Regardless. If more customers were savvy, then the NITs would be more of a - and I know this will bring the ire of this entire board - commercial success. With no programs to support it, this is a bad shot in the dark.

No popular program support for what people already either use or would like to replace; then this will be relegated to the OpenMoko status of "neat phone... cool OS... for geeks only".

Much like the NIT, sans first blurp. And yes. I'm a geek that loves his NIT. Yet there is no way possible I'm the only person that sees the folly in Maemo as a phone. Not now, not without one single compelling piece of software that will replace what I have now.

Heck, the Palm Pre has more buzz and potential support than this whole platform.

Meh. I'll hush now. This flops, I'll remain reticent. This succeeds, I'll eat my words. But from what I know from having two NITs and looking forward to a newer one... this platform cannot even be wished into being ready for mainstream yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I just set my players on "shuffle all" and be done with it...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Heck, the Palm Pre has more buzz and potential support than this whole platform.
Yes it has. But the Pre is being released now. The Maemo 5 device hasn't even been announced yet.

On the user visible front, there really aren't many commonalities between Fremantle and Diablo anymore. Trying to judge it before actually seeing it is futile. It may suck, or it may change your world. Just stay tuned.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:

Yet there is no way possible I'm the only person that sees the folly in Maemo as a phone. Not now, not without one single compelling piece of software that will replace what I have now.
I don't expect a N900 phone to make you happy if you're not looking for a phone. I just think that there may ALSO be a new tablet. And till that comes, I hope your old tablet will keep being to your liking, instead of suddenly seeming useless because there also exists a newer Maemo product you don't like.

When it comes to the N900s shortcomings as a phone...
If Nokia release a Maemo phone, they must give us what we expect from a phone or it will crash totally on every review and test on the net.

So I don't worry about stuff like the lack of PIM cause there will not be a lack of PIM unless the Nokia R&D people are really, really stupid. Some people in Nokia have a job to do. I think they will do it. At least I'll hold my anger at them until I see what they have to deliver.

Edit:
We've discussed this in so much detail now, we (read: I) must be way off by now. Maybe those who think this is just another tablet with smaller screen and higher price are right. I'm not so sure any more. Who is to say we know what Nokia wants to do with these markets.

Last edited by volt; 2009-06-05 at 13:03.

So be it. But it does not make it competitive. Just makes it a phone.

And a featureless one compared to some of what's out there now.
Quite frankly I thing you (and we all) are jumping the gun when we make such blanket statements - WITHOUT having seen the finished product.
THE SDK is out true, but there may be finished apps to compliment the platform and the hardware by Nokia too. I am of the skeptical type like you are - having used a Zaurus before - I realize how these devices have nice geeky features - but are incomplete when it comes to a consumer stack of apps - but having said that I would not want to jump to a conclusion without having seen the device and the finished platform.

With Nokia I have more hopes that they can succeed with this - as they have a software and a phone ecosystem experience (and the largest one at that), which say Sharp (with its Zaurus) never had and they gave up pretty easily. You also compare it with Openmoko - but Openmoko was a Geek effort by a geek opensource company - not like Nokia by any stretch of comparison.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Does Maemo, or the Maemo 5 SDK have that now?
No, but we're at stage 4/5, Maemo 5 is a heavy upgrade compared to Maemo 4, and anything you said being a disadvantage to Maemo Phone would also be a disadvantage for Maemo Tablet.

The product sold is an end result of all kind of features and aspects. Ofcourse, some will be missed by the general public, perhaps some you mentioned.

I'm talking from a consumer's voice. I don't have to give anything a chance that immediately does not grab my attention. In fact, it loses my attention.

A Maemo phone does not grab any part of my attention. Seems way too "me-too" for something right now.
You chat a lot about something which doesn't grab your attention.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
incredible that people wish they had itunes integration, when for most others itunes is the one single reason not to buy apple products...
Strange you didn't say the same when you saw Exchange mentioned though.

Such support is a necessary evil. It is a matter of supporting a defacto/proprietary standard popular with the general public Maemo is increasingly trying to cater to. You can see the result of (lack of) support for that in Linux server and desktop segments; Samba and OpenOffice.org are perfect examples of this.

I have my own music database perfectly sorted, and I also have iTunes to have my iPod database perfectly sorted. They're not mutually exclusive.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I, too, am an iTunes lover... It is, by far, the best media organization/syncing app available. Sorry.

Tim

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
No, but we're at stage 4/5, (...) anything you said being a disadvantage to Maemo Phone would also be a disadvantage for Maemo Tablet.
It is now, maybe. Let's ponder about that. From a historical POV.
Nokia designed the internet tablets. It doesn't have some of the features you expect in a cell phone, like PIM. Why is this? Because they know you already have PIM in your phone.

It doesn't have some of the features you expect in a PDA... Like office support. Why is that? Well, why would they? It's focus was on internet, everywhere. Which means access to Google Docs. And again, that means... What do you need sync for?

The NITs were designed to be more like thin clients than PDAs. Which also explains why it has so crappily little place to install extra software :B

I am not saying I agree on this. But I believe this can explain why they designed some things the way they did.

It totally doesn't explain the blehcam though. They really should have a talk with the Pidgin people about the camera.

They probably didn't think these features were essential for a browser-on-the-run. But once they add phone functionality, it is a whole different ballgame. Because if it is ment to replace a phone, it must be able to compete to a phone.

Last edited by volt; 2009-06-05 at 13:23. Reason: reorganized, added

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by volt View Post
It totally doesn't explain the blehcam though. They really should have a talk with the Pidgin people about the camera.
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Usin...ImplementedYet

This is again a defacto proprietary standard problem.

Kopete and Empathy support webcam on MSN and Yahoo.

GNOME will replace Pidgin with Empathy as default IM client.

IIRC either Skype/Gizmo/Fring worked on that.

aMSN does it for MSN, this should do it for Yahoo. and SIP supports video conferencing too.

But all this workaround, 300 IM clients, and 'but this and that program does it' sucks. The default IM client should simply support this out of the box...

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
"There're certainly some new products coming along from that Internet Tablet range in the product roadmap. There's already one that will be launched in the second half of the year." Those were the words from Nokia's Vice President of Sales in Southeast Asia Pacific, Chris Carr, during a group interview session at the launch of the N97 in Kuala Lumpur this evening. Carr remained coy when we pressed for more details, though the buzz on the Web is on the N900 Rover tablet that's rumored to succeed the N810 Internet Tablet.
From
http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/06/0...me-in-2h-2009/
Bring it!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Team C For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile