Active Topics

Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
The Blackphone resets when TOHKBD is near

No problemo for Jolla
Report that as a vulnerability

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I am in France (using Free) and have not seen bad signal with solaroh. I live in a dense area so signal is always quite strong anyway so not sure that this is a good place to test.
Next time I am going to some place where signal is weak, I will try to think about testing with that toh...
Thanks for your input. I'm using Free too. I tried from Orléans to Brittany (and the places in between, including large cities like Rennes) as well as several smaller cities where the signal is usually very good. I also tried areas with data signal from EDGE to 4G. The connection loss was dramatic: note that I did not "try" it, I just noticed that, with solaroh or diptoh, I couldn't get any signal most of the time. At all, not just poor signal. It was quite obvious. Reboot with another OH, signal. Reboot with solaroh or diptoh, no signal. I noticed it after I realized that I couldn't call anyone or be called when I needed to, and had to reboot to try to solve it. Everytime I could get signal again (by removing the diptoh and keeping the Jolla uncovered in my jean's), I received a bunch of SMS that accumulated during the day. To be honest, sometimes it was working properly, but it seems it was getting worse over time (no scientific test on that).

Clovis observed the same with his solaroh, before he had to send it back. I think he's using Free as well. I never sent back my diptoh and solaroh, but I am still very concerned if I have the same issues with the tohkbd2. It's just that this toh is so much anticipated, I would be so disappointed if it ended up being unusable on my Jolla.

Let me stress again that I never have network issues with other toh (toholed prototype, toholed, Jolla OHs), hence my worries.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2015-04-09 at 12:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Could be. Or else it is just GPS+inertial without anything magnetic...
(If it is something to do with GPS then it would require the device to move a little in order for the GPS to record the diretion it is going... then inertial/acceleration fix to determine which way is the north-pointing edge... fairly complex operation.)
Indeed - GPS only gives you you current coordinates and that's it. To get direction of travel (and you can infer where is north from that) you need to move at some speed - from my experience it needs to be at least regular walking speed.

But that would still not work - you can turn Jolla off, turn it back on and even with disabled GPS it will still show you where is north, even when being rotated repeatedly. So the compass in the Jolla is definitely using the Earth magnetic field for reference, with possible help from other sensors to get better results.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Currently 48 TOHKBDs left in the shop.

When the time comes to assemble I will go in priority order mentioned before, funkyoh orders last. Like every other project, this is a batch process. So after the batch, no more.

I will have lot of spares left though, which means I will be offering TOHKBD in kit form, casings not included, some soldering and assembling.
Since I don't have a credit card, I'm depending on my friend's help on this.
I hope I'm not too late for preordering tomorrow, a TOHKB to Indonesia.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I just HAD to try it. My Jolla's compass did not react to the magnet at all. And I tried VERY hard, from all sorts of angles and positions. The compass in a colleague's smart watch went completely berserk from about 50cm distance.
I take it back. I definitely fooled my Jolla when I tried calibrating the compass with a (small and not very strong) magnet attached. So much so that it took another two calibration attempts to get it back to normal. So it looks like it does use a magnetic sensor but may do something like a long-time average to compensate for fluctuations. This may be a bad news for TOHKBD with magnets permanently attached.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Indeed - GPS only gives you you current coordinates and that's it. To get direction of travel (and you can infer where is north from that) you need to move at some speed - from my experience it needs to be at least regular walking speed.
Yes, unless, they have more antennas, which would highly increase the time needed for calculating direction (still, GPS needs to be available)

But that would still not work - you can turn Jolla off, turn it back on and even with disabled GPS it will still show you where is north, even when being rotated repeatedly. So the compass in the Jolla is definitely using the Earth magnetic field for reference, with possible help from other sensors to get better results.
I believe this is what is going on. It is using both a mangnetic sensor, together with the gyro sensor to give you direction. Perhaps even functionality of A-GPS/GPS if available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I take it back. I definitely fooled my Jolla when I tried calibrating the compass with a (small and not very strong) magnet attached. So much so that it took another two calibration attempts to get it back to normal. So it looks like it does use a magnetic sensor but may do something like a long-time average to compensate for fluctuations. This may be a bad news for TOHKBD with magnets permanently attached.
I think it should still work - the magnetometers (the solid state magnetic compasses used in smartphones are apparently made from 3 differently oriented magnetometers and the result compued by trigonometry according to Wikipedia)) probably measure changes in the magnetic field, not absolute values. So as long as the magnets are not moving in regards to the magnetometers & as long as the magnetic field changes caused by the device moving in the Earths magnetic field can be measured, then even a couple of strong magnets in a close proximity might not be an issue.

So maybe try to tape the magnets to you Jolla next time to see if they also influence the compass accuracy or not ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
New keypads are here!!!

Keypress is glorious!!! Feels like heaven

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Keypress is glorious!!! Feels like heaven
That's good PR but not good for managing expectations

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
> I take it back. I definitely fooled my Jolla when I tried calibrating the compass with a (small and not very strong) magnet attached.

I could not reproduce this. Position of Compass is very stabel even exposed to quite a strong magnet.
> New keypads are here!!!

> Keypress is glorious!!! Feels like heaven

I'm so excited. Thank you for keeping us updated Dirk.

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd