Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Have to disagree here since there are now more mobile devices than desktops and that will never change back.

Desktop is an old way of thinking. Microsoft has been losing that battle for quite a while. Distributed computing, or the term "cloud", is where folks are truly going and it's been successful for iTunes - you don't need a Mac to update, purchase or have access to their media offerings - and also Amazon with their App, Music and Video Store.

Desktops are not necessary because people are migrating away from them. Most people are using smartphones. Ecosystems need to be dependent of desktops.

That's where Microsoft is going way wrong. Apple even has embraced that.

Anyway, I think you're missing the point and that's why WP isn't taking off either.
You da man. Lets see how stocks perform! The ultimate decider!!

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
You da man. Lets see how stocks perform! The ultimate decider!!
Both Nokia and Microsoft are falling. Look at Google and Apple's stock. Amazon is... well, a mixed bag. So not exactly the best example there. Yet.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
When was this?
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
IIRC this was Quims proposal in the old Lets Talk Nokia Stock thread.
You don't remember this? It was the old "Nokia on the bring of failure" thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...33#post1194633

I just remembered raising my eyebrows when I'd read it the first time and wondering how THAT would end up--just to see them QUICKLY backpedal as soon as they realized their error.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
My mistake... It was the Brink of Failure thread http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=175

The discussion actually goes on for several pages, albeit buried amongst the usual bull* that often results in threads being moved to Off Topic.
You are totally full of WIN and AWESOME for correct recollection!

Both Nokia and Microsoft are falling. Look at Google and Apple's stock. Amazon is... well, a mixed bag. So not exactly the best example there. Yet.
Amazon, intelligently, vastly diversifies and makes sure to maintain a strong hold over their strengths regardless of how the other divisions and projects of the company perform. That has worked out pretty well for them, keeping them buoyant while branching out.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I doubt that, but does mapping included in the mobile divisions or in services? The map is one of the greatest things at NOKIA atm(low end phones as well). That would be great for almost every vendor to get their hands on that, except possibly google.

Any estimations of how many people working with maps and related stuff at nokia. Where is the main R&D for this located?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-03 at 10:40.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I doubt that, but does mapping included in the mobile divisions or in services? The map is one of the greatest things at NOKIA atm(low end phones as well). That would be great for almost every vendor to get their hands on that, except possibly google.

Any estimations of how many people working with maps and related stuff at nokia. Where is the main R&D for this located?
Maps should come under software solutions

Nokia to sell mobiles business to focus on software and services

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Now, with regards to your worldwide comment on Nokia. That was the problem. Nokia became a third world manufacturer and was comforted to providing crappy service and products in the third world. But the march of androids and iOS was inevitable and the sweep of Symbian and Meego out of the third world. That was the big Nokia problem: complacent to sell third rate service and products in the Third world and losing competitive battle in more savy markets. So you are wrong on that point too. Instead, Nokia should have strived to be competitive in USA and to learn how to treat their customers well.
Yeah, that's right, America is the only developed country in the world

You still haven't explained why NOKIA didn't opt for Android for us inhabitants of the third world though. We may have to walk for days in our rags and bare feet just to get a bucket full of dirty water but we're not so desperate we want Windows Phones.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You don't remember this? It was the old "Nokia on the bring of failure" thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...33#post1194633

I just remembered raising my eyebrows when I'd read it the first time and wondering how THAT would end up--just to see them QUICKLY backpedal as soon as they realized their error.

You are totally full of WIN and AWESOME for correct recollection!

Amazon, intelligently, vastly diversifies and makes sure to maintain a strong hold over their strengths regardless of how the other divisions and projects of the company perform. That has worked out pretty well for them, keeping them buoyant while branching out.
Dumbramos, if you read the whole thread, you would realize that I said to qgil that I am device agnostic and had no interest in having any part in Lumias. Nice try to disinform.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Yeah, that's right, America is the only developed country in the world

You still haven't explained why NOKIA didn't opt for Android for us inhabitants of the third world though. We may have to walk for days in our rags and bare feet just to get a bucket full of dirty water but we're not so desperate we want Windows Phones.
I have. They chose an up and coming platform, hoping to be the main player as opposed to one of the many players in android and they got exclusivity to certain things. Perhaps they should have produced both Windows and Androids. They wisely chose to focus on one and android wasn't going to treat them differently than other manufacturers. The problem with Nokia in the past was too many different devices and OSs, and not enough focus to excel in anything.

Heyup Switch

I am told that if you skin a rabbit just right you can then sew the skin around your feet to make handy moccasins.

Where I come from we have lots of rabbits.

rgds

Last edited by uTMY; 2013-01-03 at 13:27.

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha