Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I'm starting to lose confidence in phone functionality. I've argumented that Nokia needs to fix a whole lot of stuff to be an acceptable phone. But if they did, the phone would not only be acceptable but superb when you take other things in consideration. It would outshine the N97 too much.

I don't see a trend in people selling superb equipment. It'd be too much of a leap. For such a product to work, it would have to be the most powerful phone on the market. I'm just not that optimistic.

I am starting to believe what some others here say, that it'll just be a smaller, fatter and more expensive tablet with 3G. With fewer keys. And I don't much like that vision.

At least a month till announcement? Bah!
Yup, I couldn't understand on what basis did people believe the upcoming device was to be a traditional voice phone?

This article[/URL] dated less than a month ago stated:

...The new Maemo 5 release, currently in alpha, is adding 3G cellular modem capability. However, cellular voice capability appears to be under consideration for a future version...
BTW, the person who is responsible for Nokia's Linux and open source based software and strategy, Ari Jaaski points to ^that article in a recent blog entry.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I haven't seen the whole video and it's the first time I see this, so I have the same info than you. The guy in the Spanish intro says that these were experimental videos done by young artists with low budget and inventing the names of the products.

You invented the term "N900" last year in these forums and a young filmmaker had done the same perhaps even earlier.

None of this has anything to do with real products though.
Quim thank you for that information. Can you similarly comment on the n900 rumours according to the OP as cited in mobile crunch?

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Yup, I couldn't understand on what basis did people believe the upcoming device was to be a traditional voice phone?

This article[/URL] dated less than a month ago stated:

BTW, the person who is responsible for Nokia's Linux and open source based software and strategy, Ari Jaaski points to ^that article in a recent blog entry.
It has been made pretty clear that Maemos future will be in phones, but like you i don't get many of Nokias decisions if N900 is not a phone.
N97 would still be different product because of s60. S60 is safe buy for many while N900 might look weird for many traditional Nokia buyers. I got pretty good feeling that Maemo will look great reading comments from here and from mobile-reviews Eldar and that might be it's strong point, but we will see

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then supply something that's better adopted.
just one word: amarok

Regards,
Glasswalker

The Following User Says Thank You to Glasswalker For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Glasswalker View Post
just one word: amarok
With some polish, that seriously is a good contender.

However, it doesn't come from Nokia, there's no hooks into Nokia's music store (yet) and it's not as adopted as iTunes.

But that's some good software indeed. Hope Nokia packages it.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
It has been made pretty clear that Maemos future will be in phones, but like you i don't get many of Nokias decisions if N900 is not a phone.
N97 would still be different product because of s60. S60 is safe buy for many while N900 might look weird for many traditional Nokia buyers. I got pretty good feeling that Maemo will look great reading comments from here and from mobile-reviews Eldar and that might be it's strong point, but we will see

No, but I do understand Nokia's decisions with respect to Maemo... The Exec. VP of the Fightin' Fish his own self said that when the N810 was released that it was step 3 in a 5 step road-map for Maemo.

That would make this next device step 4. If step 4 was a phone, what would be left for step 5; a dang nuclear reactor?

What I still don't understand is the pages of posts comparing the new device to full up voice phones.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Bottom line - from a hardware standpoint it IS a phone, no matter what you call it in the end.

With the 770 and N8x00 it was a different story (larger screen, no GSM radio).

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
With some polish, that seriously is a good contender.
But that's some good software indeed. Hope Nokia packages it.
Amarok is unfortunately MASSIVE in terms on requirements, you won't be seeing it on mobile devices unless somebody does some serious slimming on it.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
The press just catch the last ITT rumors : http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...-presentation/

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
While I enjoyed your notion of a model N900-O for old people, and I realize that not every "disability" can be catered to by a commercial enterprise, 60% of Americans are farsighted. (Since I haven't read that fast-food or gasoline-guzzling are causes of farsightedness, I would suppose that this figure is more-or-less accurate worldwide or at least in Europe, as well.)

Yes, I wear glasses, I went to my optometrist last month, but that isn't the cure-all you seem to think it is. (And my eyes aren't that bad, first requiring reading glasses at the ripe age of 29.) So drop this line of argument already, especially as (A) nobody is saying Don't make a 3.5" cellphone; they (we) are just saying, Make a bigger-screened tablet, too; and (B) there are more of us than there are of you!

(The way some of you are talking you would think that a person could see a paramecium on a glass slide if he just held it close enough to his eye!)
Thats very interesting, 60% of my family is myopic!

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile