Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by af7567 View Post
I always get shown the same route in modRana when I use foot mode or car mode. I just tested a route now and google maps shows a completely different route for walking to driving, but modRana always shows the driving one whatever mode I choose. I am using online routing mode in modRana.
Originally Posted by petur View Post
Exactly. I also made sure it was in walking mode, should have made that clear in my post
I've checked it myself and you were right - it really is broken. I've already found a fix, which will be part of the next update.

Originally Posted by jankratochvil View Post
RFE: I miss an option to automatically convert existing tile files to sqlite, selecting and downloading them all again is not much fun.
There is actually a Perl script by Beermad that does just this. I would like to also add support for this with modRana itself, but I can't really say when I'll get to it.

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Are you planning to add a switch to disable all animations? I'd really like that
You mean in the QML GUI ? (as there are basically no animations in the classic GTK GUI) Yeah, I'm considering adding it - I've already done some testing - menu switching is really fast, but a bit confusing as the animations add considerable feedback. Still, at least on the N900 they are a bit laggy, so turning them off really should be an options.

I haven't done much work on the QML GUI as I've concentrated mainly on the offline routing (I'm currently working on more sane tbt directions & an own modRana repository with up-to-date global Monav routing data). I'll hope I'll get back to it soon. BTW, as always - patches & pull requests are welcome !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Oh and by the way:
modRana won the first place in the Maemo.org coding competiton 2012 !!
(in the Updates & Development on Existing Apps category)

Thanks a lot to everyone who supported modRana with their vote !!

Also thanks to all those, who wanted to vote, but regrettably couldn't - still much appreciated ! Don't forget to link your Maemo accounts before the next years competition starts.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-10-05 at 08:24.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Congratulations on winning the competition! I joined the forum too late to vote, but I absolutely agree the app is a winner!

I have a couple of questions if I may. Sorry if they have already been answered; I tried to prowl through all the 1162 posts but things may have slipped my attention. Now if there was a search functionality per thread, that would be something...

Anyway. My first question, I was using modRana on the PC to download a big bunch of maps. This works fine and much faster than on my N900, but there is a small problem. The PC does not have a GPS and the program always defaults to starting in Brno. To get the UK maps, I had to zoom out to level 2, scroll, zoom in. Is there a better way? To fake the GPS coordinates, for example? I looked at all the config files in ~/.modrana but they did nor provide the answer.

Err, I'm sure I had more on my mind when I started this post but it took me so long to type it that I had forgotten the rest. I will come back when (if?) I remember

[EDIT}I have found thread search at the top of the page, doh! Still can't find the answer though...[/EDIT]

Last edited by pichlo; 2012-10-05 at 21:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Congratulations on winning the competition! I joined the forum too late to vote, but I absolutely agree the app is a winner!
Thanks !

I have a couple of questions if I may. Sorry if they have already been answered; I tried to prowl through all the 1162 posts but things may have slipped my attention. Now if there was a search functionality per thread, that would be something...

Anyway. My first question, I was using modRana on the PC to download a big bunch of maps. This works fine and much faster than on my N900, but there is a small problem. The PC does not have a GPS and the program always defaults to starting in Brno. To get the UK maps, I had to zoom out to level 2, scroll, zoom in. Is there a better way? To fake the GPS coordinates, for example? I looked at all the config files in ~/.modrana but they did nor provide the answer.
Its possible, but rather convoluted.

First create a POI on the coordinates you want to set as curren GPS position. Then in the POI detail menu, click on tools and then on set as position. And thats it. This is needlessly complicated and should be much simpler.

Alternatively, you can also use the --focus-on-coordinates CLI option.

BTW, I've added both to the very brief and totally incomplete modRana manual.

Err, I'm sure I had more on my mind when I started this post but it took me so long to type it that I had forgotten the rest. I will come back when (if?) I remember
Looking forward to your questions !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Generating your own Monav routing data
I've created a simple script that makes generating modRana compatible Monav routing data quite easy. See the corresponding wiki article for more details.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Generating your own Monav routing data
I've created a simple script that makes generating modRana compatible Monav routing data quite easy. See the corresponding wiki article for more details.
Where do I find monav-server?

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Congrats on winning the competition!

One thing I think would be handy, and probably pretty easy to add, would be a button on the Route page that would swap the start and destination fields, to allow quick re-routing when you are returning from a destination.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by macey View Post
Where do I find monav-server?
Monav-server is bundled in the modRana package and used automatically, no need to install it manually. The monav-server binary itself is located in the /opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/monav_armv7 directory.

BTW, it would be probably good to create a proper monav-server package, but doing it like this was much faster.

BTW2: monav-server != monav-daemon

While they do roughly the same thing, the monav-daemon only has a C++ interface, while monav-server sends protocol buffers over a TCP socket.

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Congrats on winning the competition!
Thanks !

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
One thing I think would be handy, and probably pretty easy to add, would be a button on the Route page that would swap the start and destination fields, to allow quick re-routing when you are returning from a destination.
Good point - there is even some empty space for exactly one button.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-10-07 at 11:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I've release a small modRana update - V0.35.13

It fixes the issue with walking directions not being provided in the "Foot" mode & adds a swap button to the Address2Address routing screen.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Thannnnks for the great app buddy. I am tryimg to use the gtk ui on n9, and *** you are aware, it has issues with text input. the VKB does not come up. But tthe more interesting problem I notiiiced is that, in gtk mode it is not getting gps position.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiac For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps