Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If we look back at the nokia history. Today, Nokia do what they do best. Kill/change OSes without any support.

It should not come as a surprise for anyone. I'm sure the kill win 7 before second phone is out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
I think that was me, or what I was trying to articulate

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69351
the rav?? jlime rav??

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
Nokia hit
9.13 -1.75 (-16.08%)...............yep -16.08% down from yesterday. GTFO while you can!!!!!!!

Well this is dumb, lets go over the Smartphone\Tablet market Real Quick, iOS *nix based, Android *nix based, RIM OS 7 *nix based, WebOS *nix based, see the trend here? The only one not *nix based is WP7... This move makes no sense for a platform base.

Nokia will now be dead within 4 years with this choice and I don't think they can repair the damage ever, this is beyond short sightedness. They spent the last couple years pushing QT adoption for development on Symbian and Maemo\Meego for the last year developers have been promised look you develop with QT and your applications will work on Symbian and maemo\meego smart phones as well as any tablets using Meego... Now Meego has been dropped by Nokia, now even if they change there mind a year from now when they see the move to WP7 has not positively effected their smartphone market-share globally or in North America they have no where to turn, even if they moved back to Meego they already killed developer support for QT and the developers are not going to trust that Nokia will stay the course with it so no one will come back.

Here is my BS crystal ball for smartphone Market-Share globally for 2010-2015
OS 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
Android 33% 35% 38% 39% 40% 40%
iOS 16% 18% 19% 19% 20% 19%
Symbian 31% 22% 14% 11% 9% 8%
Rim 14% 15% 15% 14% 15% 14%
WebOS 1% 3% 5% 7% 8% 11%
WinP 3% 4% 5% 6% 5% 5%
Other 2% 3% 4% 4% 3% 3%

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by nocain View Post
Well this is dumb, lets go over the Smartphone\Tablet market Real Quick, iOS *nix based, Android *nix based, RIM OS 7 *nix based, WebOS *nix based, see the trend here? The only one not *nix based is WP7... This move makes no sense for a platform base.

Nokia will now be dead within 4 years with this choice and I don't think they can repair the damage ever, this is beyond short sightedness. They spent the last couple years pushing QT adoption for development on Symbian and Maemo\Meego for the last year developers have been promised look you develop with QT and your applications will work on Symbian and maemo\meego smart phones as well as any tablets using Meego... Now Meego has been dropped by Nokia, now even if they change there mind a year from now when they see the move to WP7 has not positively effected their smartphone market-share globally or in North America they have no where to turn, even if they moved back to Meego they already killed developer support for QT and the developers are not going to trust that Nokia will stay the course with it so no one will come back.

Here is my BS crystal ball for smartphone Market-Share globally for 2010-2015
OS 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
Android 33% 35% 38% 39% 40% 40%
iOS 16% 18% 19% 19% 20% 19%
Symbian 31% 22% 14% 11% 9% 8%
Rim 14% 15% 15% 14% 15% 14%
WebOS 1% 3% 5% 7% 8% 11%
WinP 3% 4% 5% 6% 5% 5%
Other 2% 3% 4% 4% 3% 3%
nocaine is a hell of a drug...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Apps aren't everything. Just look at the first very post on this page. WP7 lacks customisation, file access, copy/paste, multitasking and so on. Maemo 5 is much more flexible, much more open. Sure it lacks apps, but as a SYSTEM, what it offers is way, way ahead.
Then why didn't it bury the iPhone? Because the majority of users don't care about these things. They want to pinch, pinch, pinch a billion widgets on capacitive touch screens (even if they don't know what that means). People were quite content buying stratospheric amounts of iPhones even when they couldn't change the wallpaper (or copy/paste or multitask). Build the world's fastest sports car and make it look like an old station wagon and no one's going to buy it.

There's a WP7 major update pretty much already finished but coming in March that addresses many of these issues (including copy/paste). That's a lot faster rate of improvement than Maemo has had. Nokia needs Microsoft's software engineers. Period.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Then why didn't it bury the iPhone? Because the majority of users don't care about these things. They want to pinch, pinch, pinch a billion widgets on capacitive touch screens (even if they don't know what that means). People were quite content buying stratospheric amounts of iPhones even when they couldn't change the wallpaper (or copy/paste or multitask). Build the world's fastest sports car and make it look like an old station wagon and no one's going to buy it.

There's a WP7 major update pretty much already finished but coming in March that addresses many of these issues (including copy/paste). That's a lot faster rate of improvement than Maemo has had. Nokia needs Microsoft's software engineers. Period.
No, Maemo 5 was never intended as a mass market big seller, it was 'step 4 of 5', i knew when i bought it 12 months ago Maemo 5 was being brought to an end. Had Nokia stuck with the OS, given it full support, put it on multiple devices, it'd be a different story today.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
I think the only hope for anyone who loves open OSs, is to wait for a device powered with an Intel cpu (a thing which is supposed to happen quite soon), and install a real linux-based OS on it.
I think that for me, this might be the best solution...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by dusktreader View Post
Want to talk about an eco-system? Try perusing the Ubuntu or Debian apt repositories.
Bzzzt. 95% of cell phone buyers have no clue what a Debian apt repository is. They want an "app store". They probably don't even know what "app" is short for, but that's what they want.

Software is not politics. There is no great crusade for the future of humanity going on here. People buy or use what works for them. They're not Richard Stallman (thank goodness). Nokia does not exist for humanitarian reasons, like all corporations it exists to make a profit. They're not visionaries on your cause of being able to tinker with your cell phone OS. They just want to sell phones and they made the only choice they could make in the situation they were in. They'd proven they did not have the ability to develop a new OS and the entire eco-system around it from scratch. They found a partner who could help.

Bzzzt. 95% of cell phone buyers have no clue what a Debian apt repository is. They want an "app store". They probably don't even know what "app" is short for, but that's what they want.
So your'e saying the people is dumb?

And just going with the marketing?

Nokia could do marketing too (i guess), and if the product (if maemo was support it, or meego) is better, the people would change.

I don't want to say something about any people in the world but you got some point but not entire agree with you.

Grettings.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org