Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I have tried to upload a package to do this to extras-devel, but the Autobuilder shows no record of it being uploaded, it appears and disappears on my Application Manager's downloadable application list randomly and then when I install it, it only shows on my menu when I'm not using the phone.
And the margins post length limit here is to too small to contain your truly marvelous source code, I imagine.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
My calling issue turned out to be not related to the N900 at all.
what was your issue? this may be just a few people with similar outcomes to different causes.

i thought maybe someone left their n900 with a massive security hole in it and someone was scanning open networks etc

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
what was your issue? this may be just a few people with similar outcomes to different causes.
I don't think so. They were incoming calls on a friend's office phone displaying my name, Actually the number associated with my name was used for forwarding calls and he forgot to remove my name from that number. So he thought I was calling him from cell-phone as I was not in the office.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I don't think so. They were incoming calls on a friend's office phone displaying my name, Actually the number associated with my name was used for forwarding calls and he forgot to remove my name from that number. So he thought I was calling him from cell-phone as I was not in the office.
there goes an interesting skynet answer for you!

could have at least added a few strippers in that story to jazz it up :P

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
I have been approached by a random person on IRC claiming that I have been harassing them with phone calls. He googled my name and found me in irc. I tried to explain that i am testing a prototype cell phone but he/she thought i was kidding.

I have written a letter to my operator (Tshibo/O2, germany) requesting full logs.
I have also been drawn down about 30 euro this month, but since i'm really not a phone person, i assumed this kind of behavior was normal. Also i can not dial mobile numbers, or get 3g internet access.

Edit: i have a skype account also - maybe this is culprit.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2009-12-21 at 21:40. Reason: more info

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
I tried to log in to bugs.maemo.org with my talk.maemo.org account. It didn't work. I will not create yet another account to post a bug as I already have zillions of different useless accounts for one-off things. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Sorry, I just axed the bugs site :-)
The Mad Magician Humphrey in Piers Anthony's Xanth novels did a similar thing, to similar good effect...

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
I have been approached by a random person on IRC claiming that I have been harassing them with phone calls. He googled my name and found me in irc. I tried to explain that i am testing a prototype cell phone but he/she thought i was kidding.

I have written a letter to my operator (Tshibo/O2, germany) requesting full logs.
I have also been drawn down about 30 euro this month, but since i'm really not a phone person, i assumed this kind of behavior was normal. Also i can not dial mobile numbers, or get 3g internet access.

Edit: i have a skype account also - maybe this is culprit.
someone actually hunted you down with google and IRC?
how did they know your name if it was a phone call?

If it was skype then the person would have your skype name show up or number. i wonder how many people have had this on the n900 but don't realize.

I don't know what to think. A few days after receiving my N900, I had it in my hands playing with it during a meeting, when the phone part of its schizoid personality rang for the first time.

I had a "WTF" moment until I remembered this was not my usual N810 tablet, but something not entirely unlike a phone with my SIM card in it. I had time to see the caller's name on the screen (a good friend who was in Contacts) before I hung up.

Later I called him back to apologize and ask what he was calling about; and he replied, "Me ? No. Didn't call you since last month". I insisted, but he didn't look like he was joking.

So: my N900, instead of placing untraceable phantom calls to others like a proper, decent prototype, is actually answering untraceable phantom calls from people who didn't call me.

Do you think I should send it back ?

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I had a two new voicecalls this morning, the call 222 thing from my operator and one was from someone spanish speaking (ending with ciao). And one other with just noice... spookey. no idea if it is related. I think and hope not but I will be very observant for future things after reading this thread...

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austria
When I read this thread for the first time, I thought most of the people posting here were joking. But it happened to me, too.

Today I got a call by my father. He said that a few minutes ago I had called him, but didn't say anything. The call list in the phone application only shows this incoming call, but not the outgoing "poltergeist" call (but this seems to be a "feature" of the list - as soon as there is a new call to a contact (be it incoming or outgoing), older entries are not shown any more).

At the time the outgoing call happened, I had the N900 in my trousers pocket and was walking. Usually I lock the device with the lock switch at the right hand side of the phone before I put it into the pocket. It could be that I forgot to lock it this time and activated the phone by random pressure on the touch screen while going (I have a link to my father's contact details on the desktop).

In future I will check twice, if the phone is really locked. Hopefully, this was the first and the last poltergeist call I experienced.

Tags
n900 needs a hardcase, possessed by satan, revenge of skynet