Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Gorilla glass is pretty much unscratchable. You can rub a key across it and it shouldn't scratch so putting it in a pocket with coins or keys shouldn't cause any damage. I've had a C7 for over a year and that's almost like new. The only scratches are where I've dropped it onto a wall.
I suppose i should have said I was being a little rhetorical. I could read what you said in nokia marketing materials. My point is that Gorilla glass being that good is simply not true. I have a phone with scratches all over to prove it (and no drops to date).

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
I suppose i should have said I was being a little rhetorical. I could read what you said in nokia marketing materials. My point is that Gorilla glass being that good is simply not true. I have a phone with scratches all over to prove it (and no drops to date).
I've had an N9 for 4 days so too early to tell but it's got no scratches yet. As I said, I've had a C7 for over a year and that's been great. The E71 I had before that scratched quite easily though not as easily as the N900 which had lots of stylus related matte areas on the screen.

In my experience, Gorilla Glass on the C7 has been the most hard wearing of them all and the N900 the worst. That's my experience, not Nokia's marketing brochure.

I've had worse - Sony Ericsson P910i screen was awful for scratching yet their T610 was bombproof.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Back to the physical screen itself.
Could you please use this thread for that topic instead of this one? Thx.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
You're not alone.

I got my N9 on Saturday and noticed the pink fringing on white text and the left edge of a white panel straight away. Sadly that seems to be an issue with pentile AMOLED displays just not being as good as RGB panels. It reminds me of Windows text anti-aliasing. I stare at Mac screens most of the time with occasional switches to Windows so I notice these things. I would hope it could be tweaked though. MacOS on the same panels doesn't have the same issues Windows has so it can be alleviated with software obviously. To me it just looks like the sub-pixel rendering algorithms need a bit of a tweak.

The black spots on dark grey screens I noticed last night watching a video in a dark room and then discovered this thread. I've got a black line about 4mm wide stretching about 2/3rds of the way over the screen about where the volume buttons are. I've got two parallel lines about 4mm wide and 2cm long in the middle of the screen toward the right edge. I've got another blotch near the bottom left of the screen. I only notice these when displaying something dark grey in the dark. I was playing Tron (the movie) on it so you can imagine how distracting dark splotches are on a mostly dark grey movie. (As an aside, the movie player skips frames all over the place on movie files that worked great on my C7 - hope they can get a better performing codec sorted)

The black spot issue is obviously a manufacturing issue and it's very, very disappointing. I don't notice it 99% of the time but I know it's there. When it's such a beautiful and expensive slab of technology, little flaws are not acceptable. If I wasn't enjoying the phone so much otherwise I'd send it back. I figure I'd give it a while to see if Nokia responds to this issue and fixes it in a later production run. Seems pointless getting a replacement just now if it comes from the same production run. Surely they're going to have the same issues with the Lumia 800 which shares a similar screen?

The automatic screen brightness adjustment also seems to have a life of it's own. I hope that's fixable in software also because it does ramp up and down a bit too aggressively.

Love the phone and OS but I'm somewhat disappointed by the screen.
I have the exact same spots and dimensions as you on mine N9!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fender77 View Post
I have the exact same spots and dimensions as you on mine N9!
Ooh, that's interesting.

I've just had a quick look at the service manual to see if black spots match up with internal components underneath the screen. I was thinking it might be heat or pressure related. However, it doesn't look like that is the case.

I'll see how it goes for a while.

For those of you who didn't check the Kontrori "Q&A" here is an interesting bit:

Q: Konttori, is it a "feature" of the N9's amoled screen that black text on white (for example web pages) cause "bleeding" of very slightly pink lines from the text? Or is this some kind of manufacturing (or very weird software) fault?
And the weird thing is that all text on screen doesn't cause this. It is like there is a invisible line, that when it intersects with black causes the bleeding. Here's a ms paint illustration
http://bayimg.com/FaKLLaadj

A: N9 has Pentile OLED screen. You have no idea how much time I've spent taking macro photos of the sub pixel rendering artefacts. We spent a lot of time working with the display manufacturers in making the best possible sub pixel rendering for pentile. Basically, on this PPI, you cannot get traditional RGB matrig, you need to get, pentile RGBG, where B and R are 2/3 of a pixel size. Every pixel has green element and either R or B. Green controls the luminosity for the most part to human eye. As R and B are big, human eye actually even sees those pixels, and that's what you see as red bleeding on left side of sharp lines and green bleeding on right sides. Oh, crap, now I looked at you photo. No, that should not be happening to my knowledge. I'll take a look tomorrow on your example case on both displays we are shipping with (we had plenty of versions of the displays during the making on N9, some times to the better, some times to the worse)

So it looks like someone is at least looking into it.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by weird0 View Post
For those of you who didn't check the Kontrori "Q&A" here is an interesting bit:
<SNIP>
So it looks like someone is at least looking into it.
Yeah someone in this thread posted that Qn...
And then konttori eventually posted in this thread, to confirm he's looking into it.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The color depth issue I posted earlier:

Here's an image taken from a news site and a second, edited version that resembles the image as shown on the N9. Again, I checked on a C7; there, the image looks just like it does on the desktop (above).
The image on the right has exact same banding effect I had on my old Panasonic plasma. It was fixable with a fw update... I hope the same can be done with N9 even though I don' see or notice the problems mentioned in this thread.

So, after so many days of dealing with this issue, I decided to return the N9 for an exchange. I just couldn't handle it anymore. Hopefully, the one I get in return doesn't have the purple/pink bleeding on the left side of the screen. Or at least, not as obvious as on the unit that I had.

It's a damn shame I have to return the device since I really enjoyed using it so much. Now I'm using my old N8 for the time being until i get the exchange and I have to admit, I find myself double tapping the screen to unlock it every now and then...even swiping the screen! lol! It really grows on you those gestures and really makes sense.

I have also uploaded a photo of the issue I had since I had to provide a picture to the customer care. Let me know if you guys are having this too. I did the best i could to capture it in a dark environment. For those interested, I took this on the N8.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to blackbox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
Let me know if you guys are having this too. I did the best i could to capture it in a dark environment. For those interested, I took this on the N8.
exactly the same here.