Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well done is the operative term here, and you're clearly not getting my point. But continue on with your bias against composited UIs. It's of little matter to me.
I have nothing against composited UIs, but, yes, I have a bias against form over function (or, worse, form to mask the lack of function).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by luca View Post
[.....]Well, that's contradictory: if it slides gracefully it will take more time to show the information than just popping it up instantly. The special effect, while nice, will increase the time, not reduce it.
However, the key point was "interact usefully". Sure, in terms of the photons hitting the retina, immediately popping up is quicker. However, an animation can give the brain context which makes it easier to parse the new information which it's seeing, which makes it quicker to "interact usefully", as less time is spent working out WTF just happened :-)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
[.....]

Well, that's contradictory: if it slides gracefully it will take more time to show the information than just popping it up instantly.
The special effect, while nice, will increase the time, not reduce it.
Edit: and having the information already visible in the first place will further reduce time.
I think you are confusing reducing time to display a window vs reducing overall time to accompish a task - bring down menus and sub menus etc.

And info doesn't just show up. You still have to bring up a window to show it sliding or non-sliding.

I don't want to take this argument to the level of screen display and window pop-ups really, cause UI design is more than that. And if you can't grasp that, then there is no point is debating "time to slide a window vs time to open a window" kind of small talk.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
However, an animation can give the brain context which makes it easier to parse the new information which it's seeing, which makes it quicker to "interact usefully", as less time is spent working out WTF just happened :-)
Ok, that's can be useful the first n times you look for that information. Then your brain has supposedly adapted and knows what kind of information is there, so the animation gets in the way.
At first the animation helps you, over time it slows you down.
It's like memorizing often used functions: selecting the option from a menu is a big help when you're starting to use an application, over time it's just quicker to use the keyboard shortcut.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Ok, that's can be useful the first n times you look for that information. Then your brain has supposedly adapted and knows what kind of information is there, so the animation gets in the way.
It's like memorizing often used functions: selecting the option from a menu is a big help when you're starting to use an application, over time it's just quicker to use the keyboard shortcut.
And those effects more often than not take away valuable cpu and ram resources without actually adding anything. The visual effects are only good to show of stuff to your buddies just to say how cool the device is. After using it for a week you wont even know the presence or absence... while they still take up valuable cpu. That valuable cpu could be used for multi-tasking!

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
I thinking you are still in the "desktop state of mind" when you say that.

Are you serious that I would rather take out the sliding Keyboard on my N180 and press a keyboard shortcut rather than have an easy to access on-screen menu or control to do some function ?

For the desktop many a times simplicity and speed matters so you can do repetitive functions quicker and your points hold true.
If you try to translate the same desktop UI objectives and principles to a mobile hand-held form factor - things change very rapidly and it doesn't fit.

UI is meant to be very tightly factored in with the device form-factor you are using. Trying to state desktop UI principles for a mobile platform is just plain silly.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Could you please move this discussion about animated vs static UI to another thread? It's actually off topic here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
And those effects more often than not take away valuable cpu and ram resources without actually adding anything. The visual effects are only good to show of stuff to your buddies just to say how cool the device is. After using it for a week you wont even know the presence or absence... while they still take up valuable cpu. That valuable cpu could be used for multi-tasking!
That's why the OMAP3 has that big PowerVR. . . .

The Clutter-based interface in Fremantle on OMAP3 will run way faster than Diablo could ever dream of on OMAP2.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Could you please move this discussion about animated vs static UI to another thread? It's actually off topic here.
I understand that it is off topic. But we just cant make a new topic for every couple of slightly off topic posts. Nothing wrong in you reminding...

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It is done.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post: