Active Topics

Meego will come to N900 anyway - the N900 is a reference design.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
@qwazix, cfh11: But didn't Andre say: "Though you might be correct..."? He must have referred to "Marcin" saying that Nokia has discontinued Maemo5?
But you are right about the Instinctiv situation though, that if Nokia gives them the advice to put their weight and resources on MeeGo rather than Maemo has no relevance to whether Maemo5 is discontinued when it comes to support. I'm sorry that I misunderstood that and apologize.

Im working on my first app for Ovi Store in Qt for N900 (Cos thats what I own).... Its slow going because its only in my spare time outside my main job but its almost finished! But I can with a bit of tweaking make it work on Symbian phones and also Meego when thats ready. And anybody working in Qt should be able to target N900 also. At the moment.

My concern would be if they stop support for N900 that they stop new releases of Qt for N900. So that would mean anybody developing using Qt4.7+ features would not be easily able to taget n900.

Still I see nowhere besides one random persons comment to suggest anywhere that nokia have stopped supporting N900 or will do so soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toucan murphy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
Hi,
the question is poor support from NOKIA and their ignotance of N900 after few months.
i have had 14 months of support with my n900. Imo the timespan should be reported from first device sold in order to keep things in perspective
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
It's a little about trust also, why should I trust that Nokia provides better support for the N9 than they did for the N900 when it will arrives?
it was pretty clear that n900, aka step 4/5 wouldn't be fully & officially supported as soon as its successor arrives (hw limitations etc, was already covered earlier).

So meego is wait and see (or wait official announcement) but nokia really should have longer support for it keeping in mind it is step 6/5.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
as far asI know QT is still opensource. so yes QT will be supported in some way.

Originally Posted by toucan murphy View Post
Im working on my first app for Ovi Store in Qt for N900 (Cos thats what I own).... Its slow going because its only in my spare time outside my main job but its almost finished! But I can with a bit of tweaking make it work on Symbian phones and also Meego when thats ready. And anybody working in Qt should be able to target N900 also. At the moment.

My concern would be if they stop support for N900 that they stop new releases of Qt for N900. So that would mean anybody developing using Qt4.7+ features would not be easily able to taget n900.

Still I see nowhere besides one random persons comment to suggest anywhere that nokia have stopped supporting N900 or will do so soon.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by toucan murphy View Post

Its amazing how much these two threads are intersecting.. see qgil's comments about Qt here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=97

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
i have had 14 months of support with my n900. Imo the timespan should be reported from first device sold in order to keep things in perspective
Not too much, though, nothing is said about quality of support. Nobody is denying M5 had at least 12 months support. And, frankly, if within these 12 months the support would be "finished" as title suggests, not "terminated", it would be cool. Nobody thinks a version should be supported forever.

But, as we all know, it was born in beta and will die (or has died) in beta.

I'm not even sure why this is the case. It can't be rocket science to fix a few bugs and add a few features. Get 5 volunteers from the top ranks here, have them sign an NDA and give them the sources. Problem solved. No support for them, happy customers, all donationware.

Yes, I know. But it's a warm fuzzy thought, isn't it?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
10 for i=0 to 118
20 print("whine ")
30 goto 10

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by arnoldux View Post
i think we should ust give more support to the NITDROID proyect to make it the new OS on the n900 and make it Ndroid

since there are lots of android devs around, we should just take advantage of it, better tools, better apps, more devs and full open source, better in almost every way.

ilike my n900 but hell, it discourages getting a good smartphone and then they saying discontinued, ure fkd.

if all this rant its about support, lets just give it to nitdroid

my 2 cents
Well, if I had wanted an Android phone, I'd have damn well bought one. It's cool that the N900 has an Android port and also has Meego as well, when they actually reach a fully functional state I'll be sure to give them a try and I might consider switching. But I love my N900 as it is, the community support has made a good device into a great one.

The N900 has been out over a year now, it doesn't have any major bugs that really need fixing (at least not as far as I have noticed), therefore it won't bother me if Nokia doesn't provide further updates for the software on the N900 and I don't expect Nokia to provide further support for this device other than honouring warranties.

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest