Active Topics

Closed Thread
On another note, here is something interesting http://www.osnews.com/story/25189/Gtk_3_2_Released

GTK+ 3.2 (experimental) supports applications within an html5 browser, and apparently Qt is working on it as well.

So is this how they'll run Qt applications? Interesting, though I don't think it'd have very good performance.

Also oddly this makes me think more about Gnome 3. The Shell itself is themable through css, so everything is moving to html-style configurations.

By the way for those who love Maemo, you should really run Gnome 3.x. It's brilliant and they do say in the release notes that it was inspired a lot by Maemo on the N900. It's especially awesome on tablets (I am waiting for Arch to upgrade to 3.2, they added tablet rotation to it, apparently!)

I don't know if I have any other comments on Tizen, except that they should have called it Titzen for the sex appeal

slaapliedje

P.S. What would the wallpapers look like?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
what have you been drinking? one can see the hints also with N9: add web page as a icon to the menu.

after that you'll have to fire up the xterm and cat .desktop -files to see if "an app" is a browser or executable.
I am a web developer, you have no need to tell me what HTML5 widgets are or aren't. If much less complex than quake, I've written an animated game in HTML too. Back when Netscape ruled. That doesn't make javascript a good platform for running real time applications on top of. One thing Widgets aren't, is resource effective, precompiled complex software that has been developed over many years.

Any platform can support Opera, and Opera has been and will probably continue to be one of the biggest contributors to standardizing HTML5. Out-of-the-browser Widgets has been one of the things Opera has been doing for many years. So

YES

an HTML5 based environment can be replaced with just a good browser. Some might care for it. I don't. No more than I care for the web version of Photoshop.

Last edited by volt; 2011-09-29 at 07:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
I hope its a bigger failure than its Parent OS's
LiMo and MeeGo went nowhere after a combined 6 years of trying

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Originally Posted by caa View Post
I've seen some people point out that it is fragmentation and inconsistency.
Fragmentation and inconsistency. Who did ever care about fragmentation and inconsistency in i.e. the Windows platform, where the "problem" is tens and tens of times as big?

Fragmentation and inconsistency is 2009 Apple talk for "variation in our competition is bad, look, we only need to worry about one single product".

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by volt View Post
an HTML5 based environment can be replaced with just a good browser. Some might care for it. I don't. No more than I care for the web version of Photoshop.
whoa... first we were talking about "apps" and then comes... photoshop...

By the time Tizen have theoretical chance of coming to shops, the world as we know it probably has changed. if nothing happends, you can still cover 99,9% appstore items with HTML5 easily...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Getting rediculous if you ask me.

Are any of these "Linux distros" compatible with each other? Will we be able to run Meltemi apps on Tizen?

Just seems to be another Betamax v VHS, Blu-Ray v HD-DVD scrap but with more players in the field.

To beat iPhone and Android they should be working towards a common ground of cross-platform compatibility. This, I believe, is where Nokia have got one thing right with QT, (if it's all they've got right so far).

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
whoa... first we were talking about "apps" and then comes... photoshop...
Yes. Photoshop.com, a web based application. Or, I guess the correct name is Photoshop Express. Maybe one of the bigger commercial attempts at making a web application act as desktop application.

While Adobe and Microsoft might make web versions of their software, nearly 100% off all existing desktop software will NOT be officially rewritten in HTML5. Some will get good HTML5 clones. More will get half completed amateur clones. With an ad banner.

Last edited by volt; 2011-09-29 at 09:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Not really, because VB is a langauge rather than a graphical toolkit.
Just to specify, in this context Visual Basic meant not only the language but more relevantly the "integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft for its COM programming model", where "A programmer can put together an application using the components provided with Visual Basic itself" in addition to mixing in "the Windows API, but doing so requires external function declarations".

Wiki quotes, since other people explain better than myself what I mean.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
By the way for those who love Maemo, you should really run Gnome 3.x. It's brilliant and they do say in the release notes that it was inspired a lot by Maemo on the N900. It's especially awesome on tablets (I am waiting for Arch to upgrade to 3.2, they added tablet rotation to it, apparently!)
Hmm.. Gnome on a tablet? Which tablet are you using?

I've seen some people point out that it is fragmentation and inconsistency.
Linux Foundation and Linux distributions should take this fragmentation thing much more seriously already. Yes, it is a free world and free OS, but in this way Linux will be fragmented to death.
For example, Debian and Ubuntu, move to use LSB compliant rpm already and stop being stubborn.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
déjà vu, tizen