Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
"Maemo on Nokia N900 is not upgradeable to MeeGo. The first MeeGo device is targeted to be released during the second half of 2010. However, applications written for Moblin or Maemo Qt APIs will run on MeeGo."

Who said this?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I have updated the wiki here to try explaining: http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...N900.__True.3F

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by admiral0 View Post
I'll consider the worst scenario (for pessimists and FUDders):

Nokia drops immediately support for the N900 and MeeGo isn't available for the N900.[...]
Hypothetically speaking, of course, this scenario means that I never get more than 3 numbers in a contact, that I never get labels for numbers, etc, which is kind of low IMO, since that was implied. One doesn't buy a car that's missing a back seat.

Sudden support drop is bad. Now, sudden Meego drop for N900 with continued bugfixes and evolution for Freemantle I have zaroo problems with.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

I got used to Fremantle. I have this synergy with a device overall, and once it's mine I get things done faster than adjusting to a new one. E.g., if there are no multi-desktop swipes on M6 I'm (likely) out of there.

Plus, what's this craze about swapping out Maemo 5 PR1.2 or 1.3 or 1.5 for M6 PR1.0? Have you forgotten the shovel-o-issues? By the time M6 will be all patched and grown up the N900 will likely be old (enough) in terms of N910 or competitors having multi-core CPUs based on Atom that run XP and we can finally have Office.

By then, I won't be missing my beloved N900 the same way I don't miss my (once beloved) N80.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yippee, stampeding can be fun! Watch out for that cliff!

Nice of that Texrat fellow and others to ride out from time to time singing:

"Get along, little users, everything's gonna be ok
We'll all be in pasture, 'bout the close of day.
Don't let the tumbleweed scare ya, let it roll on by
It looks dark now, but ahead there's blue sky"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
seeing that most people "love" the N900 and some even see it "close to perfection"... I dont understand why you would want another OS on it.. ?? You bought it with Maemo5, why do u want Nokia to put MeeGo on it now? It was never advertised with MeeGo, thus I dont think it will ever get an official meego upgrade..

What Nokia is doing is sort of clever imo.. They dont have staff like before (recession), thus selling incomplete phones for buyers / developers to finish it off.. lol

I am going to sell it as soon as Nexus one comes to the UK - sad I cant order it now because theres no insurance yet for this...

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's one possible (cynical) interpretation. But you blew past what I was getting at: if a developer build can run on N900, what technically stops a commercial build?
One possibility is Nokia (and or Intel) not wanting to best the marketing hype of the first new MeeGo device by just upgrading the N900.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
What Nokia is doing is sort of clever imo.. They dont have staff like before (recession), thus selling incomplete phones for buyers / developers to finish it off.. lol
You need to get religion! Imagine a world in which volunteers are a huge force in shaping their own destiny. This is a pretty good answer to older theories such as Marx's "alienated labor". The labor isn't alienated when it is building its own future.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
My further take on this: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...esponsibility/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You need to get religion! Imagine a world in which volunteers are a huge force in shaping their own destiny. This is a pretty good answer to older theories such as Marx's "alienated labor". The labor isn't alienated when it is building its own future.
Karl never made as much sense as Groucho.

As far as older theories, as was pointed out by Xenophon, economic progress relies on a division of labor. Volunteers may be great for guiding project requirements but I'd rather buy a house built by professionals.

If Meego is to be as successful as WebOS or Win 7 Mobile (much less Apple OS, Android, or Symbian) it needs to have professionals creating a professional, polished product. So far, no version of Maemo could really be considered more than beta code - stable but unfinished.

As a test bed for Symbian, this is no problem. On the other hand, if Meego is to be the replacement for Symbian as the world class smartphone OS, Nokia/Intel will relegate volunteers to non-core app development and their professionals will focus on the OS.

Which is fine with me. I don't buy a phone (or a tablet) to program it, I buy a phone to use it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
I do not care about meego on my n900. All this FUD is because we the end users do not know how much support we will get for maemo5.

Like i said on other post, if nokia sort Ovi crap out and have a framework sorted and developers make apps whether in Qt or other languages does not matter as long as we have commerical developer support with our excellent community support for n900 Maemo5

All we need from nokia on top of this is bug fix and maybe intro couple features.

meego would be good to have but not needed in my opinion as i personlly think maemo is a great little OS with potential but limited with rich applications because of Nokia.....

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76