Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Nokia is doomed... And I don't say this because I hate MS (although it is true) but because it means slowing down development even more.

Think. Where there were some true Nokians here they said that developing phone from scratch takes about 2 years. Let's say that with OS ready and dictated specs you could do it in half of the time. It means that you cannot expect "winning W7" device before next year. And if it will be released in 2011 it will be rushed, half finished product.

Will be there help from Symbian or MeeGo side (Elop announced there will be some models)? Nope. Because all people working on them will be looking for new jobs - there is no sense in keeping loyalty to company headed by Elop. So these devices also don't reach their full potential.
Interesting comments there but i think Nokia will have its fingers in many pies and as the W7 is not new i think with the intergration Microsoft will kick in and spend a lot of development time and manpower knowing it will be in its advantage for them and Nokia.

What worries me is whether they will give the N900 a look in and not bury it for the next device from Nokia.

As long as they create a much better OS for mobiles then it should not be much of a problem to adapt a full blown Windows OS for the N900.

Will it be everyones cup of tea? i very much doubt it but one thing for sure, as the N900 is almost fully open source it will not be hard to adapt pretty well anything for it.
Just have to wait wait and see... no change there haha.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I am angered by this news! I've been a Nokia user all my life! But this news angered me so much for a couple of reasons.. WP as a main OS?? WTH! No Qt???? WTH! Meego as a niche platform WTHHHH!!!
I don't care if MeeGo is considered a "niche platform". Give me the nichest of the nichy, but _make_ them...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
why are people so negative about this? This means nokia will pe putting out the same os's that it originally had + 1 more... it just means they can now target nokia fans who love symbian and maemo, they can target the programmers and android lovers with meego, and they can target window's users + business market with wm7.
i think this is an amazing move, especially since nokia now has access to ms's wallet. And so much money and support has gone into meego that meego will NOT be forgotten. They still need an answer to android, and meego is it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbanato|2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I don't see any other linux phones on the horizon. I was hoping Nokia was going to put out a meego one. I love my N900, and I am very happy with the community ssu, but I think it is a dead end now. I don't see any reason to continue playing with Qt development for handsets. I think my best option is Android right now--I am not dying to be part of the google borg, but my only other real options seem to be Windows and Apple, and they are worse.

I am shopping for an Android phone (unlocked GSM, hopefully with a keyboard) and will switch my development efforts there. I will be on the lookout for meego tablets, but I am sad to see that there will be no meego phone forthcoming--and if there is one, it will be another orphaned device like the N900.

Sigh.

I've felt a disturbance today, as if millions of N900s cried out in terror, and suddenly silenced...

Now after hearing this news I'm as sad a any other person here who loves the freedom Maemo/Meego stood for. I have the feeling MS will try their tested strategy to embrace, extend, extinguish and Nokia will just play along until doom stands at their doorstep...

Yet, I still have hope; if Nokia is able to remain the dominant partner in this "partnership" (as they should be, since the mobile phone market is yet still their market) they might be wise enough to design the hardware to be accessible through WP7 as well as Meego and let the end-users choose. This way they can have the two OSes compete against each other on the same platforms and will always have another way out if (or rather, when) things turn sour with MS.

Originally Posted by Turbanato|2 View Post
why are people so negative about this? This means nokia will pe putting out the same os's that it originally had + 1 more... it just means they can now target nokia fans who love symbian and maemo, they can target the programmers and android lovers with meego, and they can target window's users + business market with wm7.
i think this is an amazing move, especially since nokia now has access to ms's wallet. And so much money and support has gone into meego that meego will NOT be forgotten. They still need an answer to android, and meego is it.
Meego is going to be the answer to Nokia's commercial competitor ?

... did you even READ the statements put out by Nokia and Elop ?

reading comprehension not your strong point it seems

what will i buy next? Android probably.

i would still prefer to have a Meego device but after today's symphony of unmitigated cretinism i simply don't trust Nokia to execute it competently.

Meego no longer a platform = stupid stupid idea!
No QT on nokia Win7 phones = stupid stupid idea!

how does nokia manage to be this incompetent?

And so much money and support has gone into meego that meego will NOT be forgotten
Of course it will be forgotten. Its officially a hobby.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
omg in a q&A i'm watching he said hardware designs originally meant for MeeGo will now be recycled and launched as WP7 phones.
but hes says there will still be the one MeeGo phone though.
thats all we needed to know to confirm they will completely dump meego after they take our money for the one device.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
@AAS picked up on it too. they are taking all the hard work the MeeGo hardware teams have done
http://twitter.com/#!/AAS/status/36055114884063232

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks