Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Makes a lot of sense...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
OK, I did not use this .deb (I wanted some things rather more complicated; I'll post what all I did do later...), but I have a suggestion: If you open the cover for whichever SD you're working with, ITOS will refrain from trying to mount it. But the device remains accessible, so I think this should work well with the .deb. I think this might eliminate some of the reboot needs around here... Comments, PB?
(And if I was anyone considering using this trick, I would definitely wait for further input; I think what I just said makes sense, and it seemed to work, but you really should wait for someone who knows the stuff to at least say they don't think it'll break things...)

Thats not goin to help, unfortunately. What is happening is when the device is inserted. Say its fresh from the factory.

New SD card plugs in, it reads the partition table and creates twp devices /dev/mmcblk0 and /dev/mmcblk0p1

/dev/mmcblk0p1 is the first partition, since its new, I assume its FAT..

What happens is my script is repartitioning the SD card, and creating 3 partitions.

These partitions would be accessed as /dev/mmcblk0p1 /dev/mmcblk0p2 and /dev/mmcblk0p3

The problem is that after the partitions are made, the DEVICES /dev/mmvblk0p2 and 0p3 are not being created, thus cannot be accessed immediately.

My scripts is calling a re-read of the partition table, but for some systems, it will not create the device files /dev/mmcblk0p2 and p3.

By rebooting, it forces the card to be reread, and the devices are available after a reboot.

rerunning the script again will allow it to finish cleanly.

Perhaps, as I mentioned, actually physically removing the card, and re-inserting it (instead of reboot) MAY WORK, but as I already mentioned, its untested by me...
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
What you can get from Benson hint is that, instead of restarting the device, may be opening the tray and closing it again SHOULD force the re-creation of the devices and thus of the news ones (2 and 3).

Well this is much the same are removing and inserting the card

The original DEB has been updated.

This should be installed and then uninstalled once successfull.

There is a problem with the original DEB, that if you uninstall it (from flash), it will no longer fsck your cards when you boot to flash.

if you uninstall it (from SD partition), it will no longer mount swap space your cards when you boot to SD.

This new update will fix it, so after you install, you can uninstall and everything will stay in place.

I am now, calling testing phase over,

please enjoy!!!!!!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Friday Harbor, WA, USA
This deb rocks... thank you for your work on this!! Excellent tool.

Have a great day!

The Following User Says Thank You to Oberon85 For This Useful Post:
Thinks for your reply

The Following User Says Thank You to haoside For This Useful Post:
i've followed the instructions exactly, and each time i try to install it says my memory card is corrupted, but it isn't...

man i've just terrible luck with this.

5 different sd cards - when i go to install the deb (which is located on flash) every time it corrupts the card.

**** i want KDE on my n800 but for the love of god i think it's never gonna happen.

Last edited by sleepkyng; 2008-05-17 at 20:47.

Originally Posted by sleepkyng View Post
i've followed the instructions exactly, and each time i try to install it says my memory card is corrupted, but it isn't...

man i've just terrible luck with this.

5 different sd cards - when i go to install the deb (which is located on flash) every time it corrupts the card.

**** i want KDE on my n800 but for the love of god i think it's never gonna happen.

You install one time, even if it fails, reboot
install it again ??

It should work, it has for everyone else?

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
when i install it give me a "memory card corrupted" - have yo uheard of other people getting this?

sorry, i REALLY REALLY appreciate all the work you've done, so i'm gonna give it another go.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
You install one time, even if it fails, reboot
install it again ??

It should work, it has for everyone else?
nope, doesn't work... maybe i've just got a bum dl'd?

when i tried reinstalling i get severall popups saying the memory card is corrupted... sucks sucks sucks, maybe i've done something to the os?

Last edited by sleepkyng; 2008-05-17 at 22:56.

i dunno what i did but this works now,

YOU ARE AWESOME!

Tags
deprecated