quote benson; Or, as Tex suggested, maybe an intentional leak. To keep everyone from blowing their 2009 handheld-device budget on a Pre, Android, or next model iPhone.

I have blown my N95 for HTC Touch hd 3.8in, i was about to blow my N810 for N900 but i will hold tight to it.
Seriously if this is a phone then it means it will have a good Pim suite and capable of handling office suite since all nokia phones do have both capabilities. the screen size compromise, if there is a better way to handle font sizes in the control panel then it will be bearable other than that this device is targeted for a specific audience somewhere and not tablet-talk forum users.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm just highly doubtful I could use Rover as my auto's GPS device, the way I do with my N810-- the latter being just barely acceptable visibility-wise.
From my experience of both myopic and presbyopic fellow, with just a bit of astigmatism, I can assure that the external display of an e90 is large enough for gps turn-by-turn guidance (nokia maps).
But office tasks won't be easy for people in the fourties and older.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
about screen size and resolution:

is there any reason why they'd stick with 800x480 on such a small screen? it already was luxury on the current tablets, but seriously: which kind of application would benefit from such a high dpi value? I don't see the point of it any longer. very confusing.
I can think of one reason - to keep it visually consistent with other Maemo devices. Applications designed for higher res (and all Maemo apps are designed for 800x480) would look bad on a lower res screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I very much prefer a tablet with a large display, and probably won't buy this (for myself). But once the decision was made to put GSM into it to compete with the Pre, iphone redux, etc., I understand that a 3.5" display makes a lot of sense from a commercial perspective. The big news to us in the US of course is the AWS, T-Mo customers have been waiting for a high end Nokia for awhile now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
So there you have it... How many people believe this... and how many not...

I can certainly understand people reaction to the smaller physical size, including screen. I had similar reaction when I first saw the specs...

Since then I have had time to digest the idea, and lately I do like the idea of new tablet being smaller. Since it also appear has cellular voice capability, I can think this being my "one and only" easily pocketable device I carry with me everywhere. The current N810 is just a bit too big to be carried in jeans pocket... Personally I welcome the new tablet.

It is not too difficult to see this being marketed by T-Mobile (USA) as an competitor to iPhone. I can only hope the tablet is not locked for T-Mobile... but in order to compete with iPhone sales terms (reduced purchase price) I can not see way around this. I'm sure there will be network unlocked versions that you can buy directly from Nokia or other Nokia authorized resellers.

On the other hand, now there iwill be new market for a tablet with a bigger screen... Maybe the RX-71?
Hey mara thanks for the info. But why call rx-51 a tablet.... it clearly is not one.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
From my experience of both myopic and presbyopic fellow, with just a bit of astigmatism, I can assure that the external display of an e90 is large enough for gps turn-by-turn guidance (nokia maps).
But office tasks won't be easy for people in the fourties and older.
At 47 my eyesight is worsening by the day. I can't afford new glasses ($280 for the last ones thanks to my issues) so I make do. But I really could not navigate in the car with anything less than the N810's size. Not possible. And I know that many others complained as well.

But I have no qualms whatsoever with this device IF it will have a larger sibling. Again, my beef is with the device management thus far. It blows my mind... but then, when I worked in the factory, I should have gotten used to it...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Since then I have had time to digest the idea, and lately I do like the idea of new tablet being smaller. Since it also appear has cellular voice capability, I can think this being my "one and only" easily pocketable device I carry with me everywhere. The current N810 is just a bit too big to be carried in jeans pocket... Personally I welcome the new tablet.
but that's the point and my crisis now:

it's still way too large (and above all: too heavy) for a phone. (at least for me.)

a phone needs to be less than 120g. I have a 6110 Navigator now (125g) and it's not what I expect a phone to be in terms of size and weight. i tried the xperia X1 - never ever. too heavy, too big.

on the other hand, for pleasant surfing, chatting, reading and (of course) watching videos, i need a bigger device with a nice, large screen. it can be heavy because i don't always carry it in my pockets. in fact, i don't carry it in any pocket at all, i have it in a bag if i take it outside.

so these are my requirements. now i get a device that fails on both. too small a screen for the "tablet use", to expensive, big and heavy for a phone.
what should i do with such a thing? why would i have one?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I guess Nokia's future is back to being just phones...

Bummer.

NOK closed @ 14.66 on Friday after climbing slowly out of its hole at the beginning of March (below 9). Lets see how she looks this time next week.
I still hold a significant amount of stock, which leaks into my frustration!

But I have made a lot of money on Nokia stock every time it got down to this level, and hold out hope history will repeat. It depends more on this crushing, job-killing economy than on Nokia per se...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The cold trees are bare
Just got my Maemo smartphone
My tears on the screen

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I think most of us can agree that The General doesn't like to speculate too far from the Nokia tree. And let's say that for a non-Nokia employee that he's as likely as any to catch wind of something. Now, take his quote below and add it to what ex-Nokian Texrat has alluded to. I would guess there's another 2009 Nokia device that might be more to this community's liking.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Let's propose something else. What if, instead of a costly (to the customer) modular option Nokia offered several different devices for the Maemo platform. Each with a different set of options, some lower-end, some higher (much like Nokia's current cellular phone lineup).

That way, you could pick the device that suits you (say, the lower-end $250 tablet without 3G, accelerometers, FM RX/TX, GPS, or a hardware keyboard etc.) and somebody else could pick the device that suits them ($600, all the fixin's, hardware keyboard, etc.) and you're both happy without having to deal with the modularity compromise (which is a big one to swallow on mobile devices).

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile