Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
abill you make me sad....

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
From my experience you can't even tell from careful study of most recent datasheets about all properties of a particular chip - there's always things like silicon errata and esp bugs in datasheets - quite frequently.

So if after careful comparing 3430 with 3630 it looks like they might be drop in compatible (not really unlikely a result), you got exactly one chance: try it. You "just¡" need a (few) OMAP3630 SoC chips incl PoP storage slice of your choice, and two or three N900 for that, and a really gifted reworker as I found them in Taipei, where they actually achieve yields of maybe 20..30% on swapping that chip formfactor, by using tools that are in the $10k range, maybe even X-ray for 100s of k$

The question is: who would want to spend such MUCHO DINERO, to pimp a rather obsolete hardware like the N900 (yeah it is, in fact!) by such a little as 1GHz instead of 600MHz. Even the other improvements don't really bring your N900 just in vicinity of a HW you could buy for the mere cost of sourcing the 3630 alone. Get an iPhone7 and be happy! You probably can bribe someone at apple R&D for the amount that this enterprise of a pimped N900 costs, so you might actually get a prototype iPhone7 right here and now ;-P

As mentioned before, that's such an utterly useless and unproductive, moot discussion.
I suggest next time we argue and call names about whether or not you can craft a V8 engine from a solid block of 9999 gold, or if that's doomed effort. Sounds quite as reasonable as this debate here.

abill_uk is right, it might be possible (duh, I really had to say this). The ones with concerns are right, all the mentioned issues might place invincible obstacles in your way, and chances it will pan out are minimal. I know I'm right about the uselessness of the whole debate (except if you're willing to spend $$.$$$ to prove you're the mad über-geek - a questionable honour)

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
abill you make me sad....
That's enough bashing Atilla. Leave Abill and let him have his says.
Afterall we're here for a reason, and it is to say something and to share something with one another. Whether it is a useless idea or useful one, stupid one, or awesome one, we are here for that one reason.

Let just put an ease to this and calm down on it bud.

We all love you guys. No one hate anyone here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
there are lies, damn lies then datasheets.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Well, first of all, reballing a BGA phone processor is not an easy task, but it can be done... maybe not with just an hot air gun, but with a reballing station or a preheater and a hot air station, and some expertise it isn't impossible.

I would try the repair a broken phone, but changing an IC it in a good one just to see if it works (and even worse, in a N900) has no sense...

Anyway, it doesn't seem obvious to assure it can or it can't be done... let's just say no one is willing to risk their N900...

Oh! and that the simplest way to know if a newer uP is a drop in replacement isn't to read all the datasheet!! you only have to ask the TI support! they already know the answer to that question!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Your wrong you know because they ARE same family and because is so small is so easy to lift.
No, they're not. Why don't you check out official TI docs.

Have you any idea just how easy it is to replace these components? have you ever tackled this kind of work? i know you have not simply by your comments.
Yes, I've succesfully replaced a Intel Strataflash 28F640 chip as found on a Palm T|X. (Well, it was broken before the "operation", and it was broken after the "operation" but it would still reboot loop).

But I wouldn't use my experience with a largish area ~60 pin BGA package to even put my finger on doing the same on a +500 pin smaller-area BGA PoP.

Not to mention that it's on a very cramped area, as seen on the board shots.

That would be insane. Forget. And stop with the ad hominem attacks.

EDIT: Of course if you want to throw big $$ at the project everything's possible, as DocScrutinizer mentions.

Last edited by javispedro; 2011-02-21 at 23:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by NoX View Post
Well, first of all, reballing a BGA phone processor is not an easy task, but it can be done... maybe not with just an hot air gun, but with a reballing station or a preheater and a hot air station, and some expertise it isn't impossible.

I would try the repair a broken phone, but changing an IC it in a good one just to see if it works (and even worse, in a N900) has no sense...

Anyway, it doesn't seem obvious to assure it can or it can't be done... let's just say no one is willing to risk their N900...

Oh! and that the simplest way to know if a newer uP is a drop in replacement isn't to read all the datasheet!! you only have to ask the TI support! they already know the answer to that question!
Why dont you do just that and contact TI support and let us know the outcome.

After all it is only a mobile phone for gods sake the way people are reacting on here is like someone is going to die !!!.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
People are reacting the way they are because you've spent the last 11 or so pages of this thread *****ing about how everyone is wrong, doesn't know what they are talking about, and insisting, post after post, no matter what was said, that just because they're related chips and have the "same" pins, they must be compatible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Why dont you do just that and contact TI support and let us know the outcome.
I just pointed the easiest way to know it, but I don't care if it's or isn't possible. I'm not going to replace my uP even if I were 100% sure it would work again

They will not take you seriously if you aren't a developer or you haven't work with them previously... but they also have a TI Community forum where you can ask...

The Following User Says Thank You to NoX For This Useful Post:
Isn't the oneNAND soldered on top of the cpu?

Tags
bada rulez, expensive brick, here's a quarter, just shoot me, lol @ abill_uk, playinwithballs, poosticks, random stuff, soldering competition, wtb: 1 omap 3630 chip