Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
When worded the way Jaffa and fatalsaint just worded it, I agree with fatalsaint more; total contribution is more important than current contribution.

But all of this comes back to the question of what karma is for. If Nokia is going to give out discounts on new devices based on karma again (and qgil suggested that it won't go that way next time) then, yes, you would want some way to know how "fresh" the karma is. If you want to know who are the long-term contributors, you'd want to see the total "lifetime" karma scores, without any decay factor.

Anyway, thanks VDVsx for recapping and pushing this forward. I think we should push the "consensus" items through ASAP and either keep back the partial-consensus items or (my personal preference) just make an executive decision on the partial consensus items and implement them. I think the public, visible debate has happened and an informed decision can be made. Those who don't like the decision can take that into consideration when voting for the new council in the near future.

I still don't like "gold" posts idea.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
When worded the way Jaffa and fatalsaint just worded it, I agree with fatalsaint more; total contribution is more important than current contribution.

But all of this comes back to the question of what karma is for. If Nokia is going to give out discounts on new devices based on karma again (and qgil suggested that it won't go that way next time) then, yes, you would want some way to know how "fresh" the karma is. If you want to know who are the long-term contributors, you'd want to see the total "lifetime" karma scores, without any decay factor.

Anyway, thanks VDVsx for recapping and pushing this forward. I think we should push the "consensus" items through ASAP and either keep back the partial-consensus items or (my personal preference) just make an executive decision on the partial consensus items and implement them. I think the public, visible debate has happened and an informed decision can be made. Those who don't like the decision can take that into consideration when voting for the new council in the near future.

I agree with just about all of this.

As for gold posts: the karma accrued from ITT thanks is more than sufficient for 'gold posts'.

I would still like to see a 'half life' effect - especially with respost to talk/mailing posts (perhaps less for thanks)since the actual life of a post is very short.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
My two pennies worth.

I'm pretty happy with the assumption that activity is goodness. Measuring quality of activity is doomed I suspect. However a small change I think could make a difference and that is accelerators based on broadness of contribution.

ie those that take part in all aspects of the community should get accelerators. This would encourage more participation where I personally think we need more engagement i.e. beyond TMO.

Apologies if this has already been raised.

Mike C

Last edited by mikec; 2010-01-23 at 10:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
I'm also a bit against karma decay, but the concerns raised are valid.
One thing we can do is measure the level of activity over time without decaying karma, using a simple graphic, that way we know who is active and who is not, during certain periods of time. Also this can help if you want to nominate monthly 'champions' in the community, like Forum Nokia does. Just an idea.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
That would be perfect. Karma time history would satisfy everyone.. still keeps long time contributions and give window on freshness.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Okay, let's try karma + activity monitoring then first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Wrong! If anything it validates the system and process. You=helpful.
And this makes me feel useless I've been around since the 770 and I consider myself quite active. Still I have managed to get the same amount of karma in 3 years that Kathy managed to get in 3 months. And if it wasn't for the crazy Addison, my karma would be twice as low. Granted, I don't push stuff to extras easily, but I try to always make them available in -devel.

I would be happy to lose the talk karma completely, but I know that's never gonna happen (unless i remove the url from my profile ). But I sure hope the amount of karma is lowered.

App karma needs some love too. I fail to see how straight compiles or simple stopwatch apps can get the same karma as BlueMaemo, emulators or any complex app that is written mainly for this platform. I know it would be hard to measure the weight of the project though.

ps. little off topic, but the maemo.org server upgrades have been the nicest thing that has happened in a while. It's quite rewarding (after all the troubles) to get stuff built in like 3 minutes and available in -devel in less than 10 minutes. So big thumbs up for the maemo.org admins!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sorry, ukki, nothing personal! You're doing great work and deserve recognition.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
About that app karma. I don't think it should be any lower as apps are something that are desperately needed now, especially for Maemo 5 (and 6 later). Therefore they should be properly rewarded.

However, I agree with ukki that there should be some way to differentiate a quick fart app from a huge app that has taken several months to develop. The star based multiplier is perhaps not the most suited for this. Why not add lines of code to the formula too? Of course that is not perfect either, as good code tends to have fewer lines compared to bad code, but at least it would give a rough idea about the complexity of the app.

But I don't think that the app karma should be reduced for these simple apps. Instead, the karma should be increased for complex apps.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
OK, let's talk concrete use-cases:
  • "Fresh" karma: device discounts (Nokia), summit sponsorship (Council), elections (higher karma => more actively involved at the moment), a quick way to see who the current stars of the community are.
  • "Long-standing" karma: [the status quo] who's been active in the community constantly since the 770.

Anyway, as I said, unless bergie or someone else rewrites the whole system, involving a time aspect in karma properly will be pretty much non-trivial. However, tracking karma over time should be doable (just dump the current table into the "audit" table with a datestamp every day), and would also be useful in diagnosing karma bugs.

No, me neither. It'd also be really useful if someone came up with a graph showing how an app's karma would change as it crosses the various thresholds, as they seem a little arbitrary (especially with the bot voting we had in the early days of Maemo Select).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: