Active Topics

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
Originally Posted by felbutss
my two cents.

IF YOU OWN A JAILBROKEN IPHONE 3GS and install ProSwitcher the iphone is still very very fast as usual

ProSwitcher is an app which runs very similar to the way the N900 multitasks. Even with heavy games and heavy apps running in the background the iphone still doesn’t lag. Proswitcher app is being promoted as not slowing down the phone. By the way the iphone only has 256mb of ram with no page file

There is something nokia need to figure out to optimize the n900. The device is very very capable to run smooth but the UI needs a bit of work. Well at least the 4 desktops run well when panning. Give it time guys well get there. Well Hopefully :S
Originally Posted by cryox92 View Post
Well hopefully the infamous 1.2 firmware brings us something to be happy about ^^. .
one can only hope lol. it does seem like the n900 runs heavy.

doesnt bother me anyway. im very happy with my n900. we have had our bad days but its all sunshine from here lol.

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-03-10 at 00:56.

Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
one can only hope lol.

doesnt bother me anyway. im very happy with my n900. we have had our bad days but its all sunshine from here lol.
As long as software keeps coming we`ll be fine ^^.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Keep our eyes open for PR1.2 guys.. Don't be hasty and come up with the conclusion just yet. We still got a long way to wait for it

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
I'm always amazed at how some people see the name of a technology (the meaning of which they don't know and don't care about), and they somehow think that it would solve all the problems with a product that they have.

OK.
In short words, V-Sync is a simple technique that makes the video card in your PC only render as many frames per second as your display can refresh itself.

By the way, I don't have any problems with scrolling on the N900's browser. It's a little annoying when you have to wait a second for it to render the area you've scrolled to, but it is still enjoyable for a mobile device.
The tearing due to missing vsync is most easily seen in the browser, when you use it in portrait mode (Ctrl-Shift-O, qwerty not opened, and device turned upright), and then scrolling. I know what vertical sync is and IMHO it should be used to get rid of the tearing effect. It doesn't slow down a second, only 1/refresh rate (plus it might slow down the FPS, but at least we get full frames rendered). At least MY preference would be to do vsync/double buffering/whatever.

In any case, I'm very happy with N900 and would not change to Apple (probably ever). I just see Apple's point of everything being smooth. And I see Nokia's point that the platform is open for development and everything can be done. Nokia's point is more important, but we should be able to solve both problems.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Scrolling is where Maemo fails,other than that,the fluidity of the OS isnt rly that bad.[...]
GTK+ 2 toolkit used by Maemo 5 UI was designed in times, when finger-touch controlled devices with fluid UI did not exist. It has design deficiencies its creators are aware of, which was merely patched for Maemo.

We may hope, that Maemo 6 (MeeGo) which is based on Qt Mobile designed specifically for touch systems, will bring similar responsiveness to our tablets.

Originally Posted by zillertal View Post
The tearing due to missing vsync is most easily seen in the browser, when you use it in portrait mode (Ctrl-Shift-O, qwerty not opened, and device turned upright), and then scrolling. I know what vertical sync is and IMHO it should be used to get rid of the tearing effect. It doesn't slow down a second, only 1/refresh rate (plus it might slow down the FPS, but at least we get full frames rendered). At least MY preference would be to do vsync/double buffering/whatever.

In any case, I'm very happy with N900 and would not change to Apple (probably ever). I just see Apple's point of everything being smooth. And I see Nokia's point that the platform is open for development and everything can be done. Nokia's point is more important, but we should be able to solve both problems.
Yeah,Nokia definetly has a more important point,but most people are ready to give up multitasking and openess in order to be able to enoy a fluid UI,but as far as i know this problem is solved in Meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to cryox92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Yeah,Nokia definetly has a more important point,but most people are ready to give up multitasking and openess in order to be able to enoy a fluid UI,but as far as i know this problem is solved in Meego.
Well no one know if MeeGo is living up to the hype just yet, MeeGo is not even ready for testing nor production. So I think until then, we cannot say that MeeGo will have fluid UI just yet.