Banned | Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010
I just borrowed your epic terminology, mr. Troll. N900 is a failed enterprise device

Originally Posted by N900schizo View Post
I couldn't get my work email on N900, because Nokia geniuses forgot to provid provisioning! Every other smartphone device provides it.
Aside from being a blatant, rude troll, you're wrong here.

Most Android devices omit provisioning support. Neither the Nexus One, the DROID, nor any ROM from Cyanogen. For it you have to buy a 3rd party application, or buy a device from HTC.

Basically, you can't have provisioning without having the exchange delivered e-mail stored in an encrypted space which would not work with the existing mail client, forcing either an extensive rewrite of the program or just creating a second for exchange access only.

Also, Nokia never directed the N900 as an "enterprise phone." So enjoy your media consumption device, I prefer my device to be a little less... one way.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
That is the point. iPhone IS both

That is the point. iPhone IS both
Well if all you're after is an enterprise/media consumption device, you're good. Insulting those of us who find the N900 fits our needs just makes you look bad.

I am stating my experience and why I only use it as a web browser. If you are too sensitive when some one is not a NOKIA apologizer, perhaps you should consult your shrink

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
godbye iCrap user. hello, another n900 who lost its damn stupid owner, and hopefully go to a better one^^

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I switched to iPhone 3GS for a simple reason. It's the best enterprise/media device. It supports provisioning and soon will support multiple exchange accounts. N900 failed me. I couldn't get my work email on N900, because Nokia geniuses forgot to provid provisioning! Every other smartphone device provides it. N900 was made for children
Just can't stay away, eh, Guber99?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
...though you complain about multiple exchange accounts, which my last two winmo phones didn't do either...
Does the N900 support Exchange provisioning yet?

If you are really switching to an iPhone, you better check with your it department whether they are going to support it. As you are in the medical field (I looked at your posts like you suggested) you might be screwed.
Actually, the Apple iPhone has been well received by the medical field with multiple apps already out for it, more coming. Security can be handled per app. You've assumed quite a bit and with further research, you'd see where you're somewhat wrong with your assumptions.

Privacy regulations are huge in medical, and the iPhone may not be up to snuff (and therefore disallowed) even if it does do provisioning (by which you might mean remote wipe and other security policies such as enforced phone locking).
See above. Handled per application and system deployed. What's the privacy on the N900? Just curious because I seriously don't know.

And aside from whether it is allowed, you should make sure it will be technically supported in your environment. If your exchange is set up in a nonstandard way (and if it was standard, you would have a couple of pieces of information about your exchange server to feed into the N900 and it would work fine), or if it is an Exchange 2003 server, it may not actually work with the iPhone either.
Exchange 2003 supports the iPhone rather well. I use that almost exclusively and the iPhone supports more criteria under provisioning than the N900. If Exchange is set up in a standard way (think strict) then the N900 is left out 100% - it won't satisfy enough criteria for provisioning.

I have my complaints about the email on the N900 as well.
iPhone's e-mail is equally bad. But at least it finally supports searching.

I really want the ability to respond to meeting requests that I have heard is in the 1.2 upgrade. But "epic fail" on N900 email and calling the iPhone an enterprise "blackberry killer" are huge stretches of reality.
We agree 100% here.

Pertaining the rest. Until the N900 does not require me to change my current Exchange setup just to support it - I didn't have to change a thing for the iPhone and we refused to support it initially until the later updates (2.2.1 to be exact) really gave way to supporting the iPhone fully - the N900 isn't an option within the enterprise environments that I have to support in the US and in Germany and China for two larger companies.

As it stands though, as a hobbyist and tinkerer; the N900 still has my attention. But I'll have no network support nor enterprise e-mail support for my own phone.... but I could admin the living hell out of those aforesaid networks.

@texrat

As I'm sure you were too from his previous name, I can't help to be mildly flattered that he chose his latest handle based on one of my responses.

In this case, 1 out of 2 is bad. He came back to see us, but he's not better.

He's not as much a troll as he's more like Freddy, Jason Voorhies or Michael Myers.

I still don't know why people are compelled to crap on the floor on their way out the door.

I'm personally ecstatic this person found bliss and joy via his iPhone, and I'm saddened and my soul has died a little that the n900 let him down. But I don't understand why he has to be so, well, mean about it.

As a longtime Windows Mobile sufferer, I didn't feel compelled to go crap all over ppcgeeks.com when I left. I just let folks know I was moving on to something else.

So godspeed to you, and next time you switch platforms, try not to crap on the way out the door. You never know when you might need to come back in that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye dookie, goodbye sam, guber99 lives!, hello samantha, i say hello