Closed Thread
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
i dont think bootmenu is needed just need to flash that kernel from what i gather of the posts in said forum
You mean the kexec part of titan's kernels? is that all bootmenu uses? I tried to test a while back (with a VERY early image), but couldn't get bootmenu to work. I am hoping that we can leverage titan's kernels to get a clean multi-boot system.

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
thanks tywoboxen, im not sure on the n900 flashing yet..

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
I want to learn how to do all this stuff but I'm not an experienced linux user and I don't want to cause any serious problems on my N900 (brick it or something!)
I read through the instructions on the previous link that I posted and it all sounds a little complicated at the moment.
I have an Ubuntu 9.10 live CD available that I could use to partition my SD card but after that I need more clearly defined step-by-step instructions of what to do to patch and compile the kernel. (can I do everything from live-CD?

Is there really no other way to just prepare all the files, put them onto the memory card and launch it from within maemo so that it terminates maemo and loads from the memory card? (not affecting the maemo installation at all) (Then after pulling the battery it should just boot normally back into maemo)

byte_76 if you can get into the nitdroid irc chan ill see if i cant help you out a bit

Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
byte_76 if you can get into the nitdroid irc chan ill see if i cant help you out a bit
Thanks! It's getting late my side, I'm going to get some shut eye and come back to this after work tomorrow.

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
The errors I was getting was with 2 x 16GB cards. I had originally installed Nitdriod onto a 4GB card and it worked fine (still does).

Spent a while in chat with steve, and could not pin it down to anything. The working theory ended up being that NitDroid did not like 16GB cards for some reason.

Try a different card. It may be a duff card, and y 16GB cards may also be a bit iffy in that case.
Thanks, I was following the original guide which created 3 partitions and it didn't work. As soon as I did the 4 partitions (1 vfat boot, 1 swap, 2 ext3 for everything else) the no-google bundle worked for me.
Not too shabby. About as usable as Maemo was, maybe more so.
Now to just get the one with the marketplace app working...so I don't have to install APKs from the web. And it reboots when plugged into power and it decides to "sleep". Don't know what's going on there.

the reboot is down to power management issues that ive yet to fully nail down the reason for. currently im moving from getting sound running because i need to rethink how im going to. camera i need to work out as its all green at min,

DJ,
I had a similar webcam issue on ubuntu with the green screen. i never played with it to get it working but found the following link. and relation?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Webcam_Setup

* search for green

not greatly useful lol. its some sort of video 4 linux config problem

Last edited by dj_steve; 2010-04-27 at 12:15.

ok im not going to get much dev time this week (damn 9 hour shifts ) but looking to be getting my n900 this weekend (likely sat)

on a different note if anyone knows how to use git and push to repos and has some free time to teach me how to id appreciate it as i cant work it out - am trying to up some repos of my source. throw me a pm if you can help their

Closed Thread

Tags
android, cool stuff, froyo on n900, nitdroid