Posts: 90 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bangkok
Let Nokia, Apple and RIM Fighting with Mobile OS.

SAMSUNG, Moto and more Said : "Who care!?, I'm going with Android."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gixx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leetut View Post
innovation??
bro where you been for the past 10 years!
i was multi tasking on my n95-1 before the iphone had even been invented!
and you had a 5MP camera also, and front camera and video recording and copy and paste and a store and navigation and gps bt etc etc etc

Originally Posted by gixx View Post
Let Nokia, Apple and RIM Fighting with Mobile OS.

SAMSUNG, Moto and more Said : "Who care!?, I'm going with Android."
Ha...

No manufacturer is completely committed to Android. Google themselves gave up making Android phones after the N1. Other manufacturers use it because of the Google apps included and because it's free. Google might continue the practice of making apps for non-Android phones, and port GMail Mobile and Google Maps/Earth to MeeGo. If MeeGo is fully available and free for any manufacturer to use then they will use it.

Android Market pretty much flopped and it's not worth protecting even though they get a 30% cut from all paid apps. I think we're headed in a direction that's no so app-centric. People are probably just more satisfied with the built in features in Android compared to iOS.

When it comes down to it I don't think Google cares about losing a mobile OS war at this point. They'd rather have their search engine given prominent placement as the default on every phone no matter what OS is running on it. They're probably really scared of Bing right now.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by SD. View Post
When it comes down to it I don't think Google cares about losing a mobile OS war at this point. They'd rather have their search engine given prominent placement as the default on every phone no matter what OS is running on it.
Sounds likely.

They're probably really scared of Bing right now.
Someone is using Bing, certainly. But who? Do you? Does anyone you know use Bing?
I tried it several times since its release, and it didn't satisfy, so I still keep feeding my views and clicks to the Monster of Mountain View...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Ha...

No manufacturer is completely committed to Android. Google themselves gave up making Android phones after the N1. Other manufacturers use it because of the Google apps included and because it's free. Google might continue the practice of making apps for non-Android phones, and port GMail Mobile and Google Maps/Earth to MeeGo. If MeeGo is fully available and free for any manufacturer to use then they will use it.
That's why they're moving along to Android 3.0 (gingerbread) later this year.. and aiming it squarely at the new Android tablets. You know... the hardware manufacturers are scrambling to put out tablets. New stuff. GREAT stuff, in fact.

If that's not commitment, what the hell is Nokia doing to the N900 again? Maemo? Hell, what are we expecting out of MeeGo from Nokia (versus the PR about Symbian, for example).

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Someone is using Bing, certainly. But who? Do you? Does anyone you know use Bing?

I tried it several times since its release, and it didn't satisfy, so I still keep feeding my views and clicks to the Monster of Mountain View...
No I don't use Bing but they are coming up with more innovative features than Google lately despite the fact it was a "Google ripoff" to begin with. Google's original search engine technology was exclusive but other sites have caught up with them.

Google's next major project is rumored to be a social networking site to compete with Facebook. They could be spreading themselves too thin like what happened to Yahoo, but their solution is to discontinue stuff that isn't working for them like Google Videos, Wave, and Gears to name a few. Possibly the same might happen with Android if something superior comes along.

I already mentioned it above, but to emphasize it, Android is basically the only decent free mobile operating system available right now.

If manufacturers have a choice between WebOS and Android they might be running WebOS instead. Who knows... There's just no other alternative for Motorola, HTC, Samsung and others that are struggling to compete against Apple in the U.S. right now.

Someone should make a wrapper to run Android applications on MeeGo or a way to run a complete AndroidOS instance on top(instead of rebooting like with NitDroid). That would not only be an intriguing feature but a bridge for the android users that wouldn't want to switch otherwise.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
No I don't use Bing but they are coming up with more innovative features than Google lately despite the fact it was a "Google ripoff" to begin with. Google's original search engine technology was exclusive but other sites have caught up with them.
There's also something to be said for a good, clean, uncluttered,, lightweight search site. Think back to 1999 when Google started to rear its head early on. It was JUST a big Google logo and a bar. It was trying to compete with search engines of the time like Excite, WebCrawler, Ask Jeeves, etc. I think people forget just how crowded, hot and crazy the search engine business used to be. Google won out MAINLY because it was uncluttered and clean. Excite used to look a LOT like today's 'iGoogle' interface with all those drag+droppable widgets and features. But people really preferred the sleeker and cleaner Google searches, where the ads weren't laden in graphics, Flash and RealPlayer content. They were TEXT BASED ADS. It just worked.

Google's next major project is rumored to be a social networking site to compete with Facebook. They could be spreading themselves too thin like what happened to Yahoo, but their solution is to discontinue stuff that isn't working for them like Google Videos, Wave, and Gears to name a few. Possibly the same might happen with Android if something superior comes along.
Didn't they already do that? Orkut? By my opinion, if they already did it and they're simply giving it a much-needed facelift and a new name, I'm not sure I'd wager that they're spreading thin. More importantly, they're not even showing signs of spreading thin yet. They have huge successes with relatively minor-impact failures (like Google Wave, Google Buzz, etc.. it's not hurting them that it's failing/failed).

Again, by my opinion, Nokia by contrast has decided to make cellular phones their main business and they're trending toward failure in that... while tragically missing the boat on a market segment that they almost could have taken credit for creating, or at least leading, a few years ago in the Internet Tablets. Nokia isn't spreading thin either... they're just casually expunging all the things they were doing right and concentrating on doing all the wrong things with what they HAD as realized or potential successes.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Nokia isn't spreading thin either... they're just casually expunging all the things they were doing right and concentrating on doing all the wrong things with what they HAD as realized or potential successes.
Hopefully MeeGo will be more Linux Foundation than Nokia when all things are said and done because if it's just a Nokia project we might see phones released by them that are a lot like certain Android phones or the N900, with no major version updates after a year or less even though the hardware is completely capable to handle the new version. HTC MeeGo phones would almost be guaranteed updates for years after their release.

Edit:
You can install iOS4 on an iPhone 3GS, several Android phones that are on 1.6/2.0/2.1 are getting the 2.2 update, BlackberryOS 4 phones can upgrade to 6, some Windows Mobile phones were able to go from WM2003 to WM6.5... I'm starting to think Nokia should have an official MeeGo upgrade for the N900 (or at least give the community all of the tools to do it properly!)

Last edited by SD.; 2010-08-10 at 19:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD. For This Useful Post: