Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
It might be a good thing that you can't initially start the WeTab without being up to date. It will automatically drag the latest updates when switching on the first time. This took like 15 minutes for me.
If we exclude the crappy OS, how is the hardware? Touchscreen response is probably bad due to the crap Xorg setup they have (I saw some dumps), but fixable if someone with half a brain spends some time on it.

And got any info on how they got Win7 booting?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
If we exclude the crappy OS, how is the hardware? Touchscreen response is probably bad due to the crap Xorg setup they have (I saw some dumps), but fixable if someone with half a brain spends some time on it.
The touchscreen is capacitive and thus it's kinda hard to hit small targets.
The display quality _highly_ depends on the vertical viewing angle. But you can turn the display around if you want to lay the tablet on a table in front of you. The accelerometers turn the screen.
The touchscreen has multitouch (I've heard rumours that this would be disabled in the US thanks to Apple, though). Pinch-to-zoom does work in the browser, but doesn't zoom smoothly. It basically just toggles between zoomed and unzoomed. Double-tapping does the same (like on N900).
Touch screen response is actually quite good, but it always depends on the application how responsive it is.

The fan in the device is constantly running, but mostly silent like in a netbook. It _is_ a netbook without keyboard after all.

The onscreen keyboard is good.

I can't comment on battery life yet.

There's a HD accelerator in the 3G version and it got HDMI out, but I haven't tested those yet. The media player is Banshee like on netbook MeeGo.

Sound volume can only be regulated by software. There are no hardware controls.

The back of the device is rubbered so it doesn't slip away or out of your hands.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
And got any info on how they got Win7 booting?
By tinkering with the boot loader. The root shell is an app in the market, and after accepting that you're going to lose your software warranty, you have a terminal and can become root.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I expected more out of the Germans. The WeSad. Too bad.

Yikes. Just read the translated reviews on amazon Germany.

Youch. Rare that a product gets slammed that had. What a disaster.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It took me 5 minutes to run MediaBox on it. Now it's streaming music and video via UPnP. And the touchscreen is great!
The power of Linux!

Too bad that most reviewers want to compare it to an iPad at all costs. But it's the fault of Neofonie who marketed it as such.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Wow Benny 1967, you're really putting the WeTab down... I'm hoping it's not really that bad...

Tags
not the tablet, u r looking for